Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So funny watching our goal celebrations with him jumping in like, "hey, come on...me too, guys" lol

He pitched in by not being a disaster these last few games, so owe him a big thanks for that.

Good luck at your next club, fella.

Now unleash that final compilation!

Him being somewhat decent in the final 4/5 games has been vital to getting top 4. Still not up to the standard tbh.

Many thought things were as good as over when Doh got crocked.

Emerson stepped up when we needed him and has barely put a foot wrong since.

Utmost respect coming from my house.

:adesalute:

Last edited:
So funny watching our goal celebrations with him jumping in like, "hey, come on...me too, guys" lol

He pitched in by not being a disaster these last few games, so owe him a big thanks for that.

Good luck at your next club, fella.

Now unleash that final compilation!
This is basically it. He's been okay, defensively competent and that'd been enough to help get us over the line.

He seems like a nice guy (to be honest, most of our dressing room does and it appears to be a great feeling amongst them) but a 'Conte' wing back needs to be an attacking threat whereas time and again it looks like our players actively want to avoid passing to Royal in the final third.

Either he or Doherty need to go, and the latter was offering far more before his injury (in addition to having homegrown status).

This is basically it. He's been okay, defensively competent and that'd been enough to help get us over the line.

He seems like a nice guy (to be honest, most of our dressing room does and it appears to be a great feeling amongst them) but a 'Conte' wing back needs to be an attacking threat whereas time and again it looks like our players actively want to avoid passing to Royal in the final third.

Either he or Doherty need to go, and the latter was offering far more before his injury (in addition to having homegrown status).
Emerson has to go.

Doc won the #2 spot with his last performances, for me.

Last edited:
I get he was gak for quite a bit of this season, but I'm a little surprised to see people being so dismissive of his really strong form over the last two months.

He's a very young player, came in on deadline day (no preseason), played the position most tactically impacted by our coaching change, and is inexperienced in European football overall.

Considering his age/experience and the clusterfuck this season was during portions of the year, I think him hitting his stride later in the season is about what was to be expected.

Still hope we have sign a high quality and expensive first choice RWB, think Spence would be the wrong move, but I would much rather gamble on Emerson's upside as a 23 year old who started to show real ability at the end of the season when he settled in the league and side than on 30 year old Doherty.

Nope, he played well today.

You don’t have to rate him to admit it, either. We can and should upgrade him, but im pleased he’s been playing well.

Grow up
He just didn't fuck things up, but was the same as always, didn't know what to do with the ball at his feet and didn't have to defend cause Norwich could do nothing. Wasn't good, nor bad, average performance.

He just didn't fuck things up, but was the same as always, didn't know what to do with the ball at his feet and didn't have to defend cause Norwich could do nothing. Wasn't good, nor bad, average performance.
I think Royal is a decent player. He has an unorthodox style and might take some getting used to, but I'd give him more time. He's young and it's first team football for a top club in the best league in the world. Overall he has done well and seems to improve every game

His delivery is woefully lacking, and that's an issue. It essentially means he needs to pass it to Dejan in the final third to deliver from the wing

I think we saw today that Dejan will be great operating more centrally. We need a wingback who's an offensive threat down the side of the pitch and who can deliver a cross. The system clearly is built around that.

We got by with some tweaks to our right side. But you don't run a ferarri with an engine built for a Benz if you're trying to win the f1.

He'll kill it in Italy or Spain. He has to go for his own benefit, he's just not a RWB. I'm sure that if we meet him in the Champions League, he'll recieve a marvelous reception at The Lane.

I won't be surprised if him and Doherty stick around. There are bigger priorities to offload and if we get the likes of Tanguy, Winks and Lo Celso off the wage bill there should still be money to strengthen.

There isn't a massive number of top quality right sided wing-backs around either. Unless we can get a Hakimi level player they may well stick with what we have if we can't find better.

Defensively he is adequate but he cannot contribute in attack. He cannot cross, beat a man with pace or trickery, he can’t do anything to hurt the opponent. That’s not acceptable for a wing back in Conte’s system.

He’s done well enough recently for us to be able to get our money back and sell him to a different league. He is not cut out for the PL. He is only getting a sniff because Doherty is injured. Doc showed in his run of games what the bare minimum requirement is to play RWB at this level. You have to be able to affect the game.

Back
Top Bottom