Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His career so far

Emerson Aparecido Leite de Souza Junior was born on 14 January 1999 in the city of Sao Paulo.

He joined the youth setup of Ponte Preta, a Brazilian Serie B side, in 2015 after representing the likes of Palmeiras, Sao Paulo and Gremio. He made his senior debut in February 2017 and played in his first top division match nine months later.

By this stage, Emerson had attracted the attention of Atletico Mineiro, who signed him in February 2018. After continuing to impress, the full-back was signed by Barcelona just under a year later.

Confusingly, the deal was a joint financial operation between Barcelona and Real Betis, where each club paid half of the transfer fee and retained a percentage of Emerson’s economic rights.

As a result, Emerson has spent the last two seasons with Betis, making 79 appearances and scoring five goals, before Barca exercised their option to bring him by paying Real Betis €9 million.

The 22-year-old has also represented Brazil, appearing as a substitute in their Copa America final defeat to Argentina.

Where does he play?

Emerson plays at right-back where his pace and attacking threat, as well as his defensive work rate, have seen him compared to legendary former Brazil and Barcelona full-back Dani Alves.

This is born out by his statistics at Real Betis. During his spell at the Seville-based club, Emerson netted five times and provided ten assists. He is clearly a very modern full-back, capable of attacking contributions while also providing defensive solidity.

In an interview with Diario SPORT, the youngster said: “Emerson Royal is a player who is physically very strong, who competes hard in every game and who tries to do things properly. He’s not afraid of making mistakes and only thinks about doing his job well and improving every day.”

What he’s said

In the same interview, Emerson said: “Betis is a great team, but I’ve signed for one of the best clubs in the world. It’s important to get to know your team-mates and strive to improve every day.

“I know that I’m going to be given minutes because I’m going to work hard to get them. I’m taking my time, I’m not in any rush. I’ll work hard in order to play many games for FC Barcelona.

“On an individual level, I want to play as many minutes as I can for both Barca and for Brazil.”

What they’ve said

“Emerson has a good defensive part [to his game] and attacks well too. But mainly the defensive part, because what we look for in a full-back is first the defensive part.” – Thiago Larghi, coach at Atletico Mineiro.

“When he was little, he used to tell me – ‘Mom, I want to be like Dani Alves and play for Barcelona’. When he was announced as new Barca player, I cried a lot and so did he.” – Tania Ferreira, Emerson Royal’s mother

“I think Emerson has to help us a lot to build this sporting project that we are looking forward to being a success.” – Joan Laporta, Barcelona president.

“We’re getting a player with a great future who encompasses everything we’ve looked for in signings recently, who is young and increases the quality in the squad. I welcome him to Betis.

He is a player who can get up and down, very physical, who will surely support the team a lot, both as a right full-back and a right wing-back.” – Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, former Real Betis vice president.

It won't be via a rash challenge from behind in our own box by any chance, will it?

serge-aurier.gif
I couldn't help but like Serge. Still hoping he goes for footballing reasons but will miss the character.
Just too many costly mistakes.

Why are we spending our precious money on him?
We need a back up C.F. and a creative CM more than a full back.
This us going to make Tanganga upset and we have 2 average back ups in either Doherty or Aurier. Plus the new youngster shows great promise and should play in the UEFA Championship League
It makes me so mad that we never sign a real backup to Harry, if he gets injured we have to play Bergy at CF

This us going to make Tanganga upset and we have 2 average back ups in either Doherty or Aurier. Plus the new youngster shows great promise and should play in the UEFA Championship League
It makes me so mad that we never sign a real backup to Harry, if he gets injured we have to play Bergy at CF
I agree we need backup to Kane and a creative midfielder.

But we do also need a RB. Tanganga is solid when asked to defend in games like City but when we are playing a team who set up narrow like Watford did the other day we need a right back who can provide the width and get quality into the box, Tanganga for me is never going to be that player. And Doherty is a steaming pile of donkey turd. So I don't feel a RB is a waste of money at all.

I'll caveat this with me not having seen this Emerson guy so can't testify to his attacking abilities but I'm sure we wouldn't be interested if he lacks creativity.

We really need a right back as well. The fact is Aurier for all his ability makes too many mistakes and Doherty is not a right back he os a wing back who likes to cut in and make runs into the box. That leaves Tanganga who has played well but in the long run I see him more as CB and does not have a good enough cross.

We really need a right back as well. The fact is Aurier for all his ability makes too many mistakes and Doherty is not a right back he os a wing back who likes to cut in and make runs into the box. That leaves Tanganga who has played well but in the long run I see him more as CB and does not have a good enough cross.
I think Tanganga can be a useful utility player for us in defensive positions. The same way Judas was before he became established at CB. We're going to need defensive cover over the course of the season as players get tired, injured or suspended so I think he'll get plenty of match time.

He might even be able to do a job as a holding midfielder if Hojbjerg and Skipp are unavailable and we need someone a bit more robust in there than Winks or Lo Celso.

We needed a right back so pleased we've brought one in.

Tanganga's done well, but he's not the answer at right back. Would love to see him develop at centre back.

I haven't watched any Betis so can only go by youtube compilations and other peoples opinions for now. Hopefully he'll [Emerson] play for the shirt as we don't need more players that think they are bigger than the club.

Tim Vickery on SSN just said Emerson's uncle named him "Royal" after a local jelly in Brazil.

I prefer the Royale with Cheese version, where his Dad watched Pulp Fiction & thought "that's my boy!"

Back
Top Bottom