Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They got a rightback for a coach who's system is heavily dependent on being technically adept being able to cross a ball and beat a man. Quite some time ago I came to the conclusion that buying from Barcelona guaranteed getting a player who was operated by dint of their dominance and Royal confirms thus conclusion. Buy Lamptey if it costs 45m then that's what it costs.

All the shitness of Aurier without any of the pluses. At least Serge had some passion and aggression, and could have a go going forward. This bloke plays like a fat pissed Dad on the beach. Dreadful today. If he was a doctor and as bad at his job as he is at football, he’d be in jail.

All the shitness of Aurier without any of the pluses. At least Serge had some passion and aggression, and could have a go going forward. This bloke plays like a fat pissed Dad on the beach. Dreadful today. If he was a doctor and as bad at his job as he is at football, he’d be in jail.
:D

This week's "he can't cross frenzy" was just a red-herring... His decision making is SO slow.

Is coaching the answer? One can only hope......

Last edited:
This week's crossing stuff frenzy is just a read herring... His decision making is SO slow.

I've criticised his crossing a LOT but yep, even if he could cross we'd have big issues with him. Not only his decision making but to me it doesn't look like he trusts himself to take on opposition players in 1v1's often enough. Looks like he's a player reliant on clever passing moves to give him space and time to do something.

These kind of players don't get on as well in the PL, you're expected to be able to win your duels here. Sancho is having the same problem, teams want players who are direct, athletic and play fast, frenzied football.

This week's crossing stuff frenzy is just a red-herring... His decision making is SO slow.

Our Scouting/recruitment system is nothing more than a joke

We can argue back and forth on whether we spend enough money but we could spend 3bn with these jokers and still end up with a pile of magic beans

Our Scouting/recruitment system is nothing more than a joke

We can argue back and forth on whether we spend enough money but we could spend 3bn with these jokers and still end up with a pile of magic beans

Yep.

Emerson was 25 million. Now it's not a lot in modern football, but it was post corona and Barca were forced in to a bit of a firesale. So it was hardly a total bargain basement purchase, a decent amount of money was spent.

And he just looks a totally inept footballer at every element of attacking. Even in a fucking back four, every modern fullback should be able to attack. What the fuck were our scouts watching? Or were they too fooled by him having high 'chances created' stats in La Liga?

Who was watching this fucking guy and seeing a modern, attacking wing back?

I've criticised his crossing a LOT but yep, even if he could cross we'd have big issues with him. Not only his decision making but to me it doesn't look like he trusts himself to take on opposition players in 1v1's often enough. Looks like he's a player reliant on clever passing moves to give him space and time to do something.

These kind of players don't get on as well in the PL, you're expected to be able to win your duels here. Sancho is having the same problem, teams want players who are direct, athletic and play fast, frenzied football.

Said in another thread, but we're entering one of those 'can you trust foreign players to adapt to the EPL?' phases..... There's nothing else like it intensity wise atm and thus scouting is a mine-field.

This week's crossing stuff frenzy is just a red-herring... His decision making is SO slow.

He looks to have neither the nous nor the pace to get past his man on the flank. Seems like quite an easy proposition for the opposing left back to defend against :pochunimpressed:

Said in another thread, but we're entering one of those 'can you trust foreign players to adapt to the EPL?' phases..... There's nothing else like it intensity wise atm and thus scouting is a mine-field.

Frankly our entire scouting setup can fuck off. Or maybe they are secretly okay and we're just not getting the first, second or third choice they recommend. Who knows. But every aspect of us signing players is fucked to the point where it's hard to even get slightly excited about new signings.

The fact is a shit Barca side were happy to let Emerson go. Yeah they had financial trouble but the truly talented assets they were refusing to sell. That was a red flag for me at the time and it looks like that was correct.

Firpo looks fucking shit at Leeds too. If you're a youngish player with genuine talent I don't think a club like Barcelona farm you out for a fee of 25m, especially when their other right back options are garbage like Sergino Dest.

Back
Top Bottom