Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't always understood the hate. Yes he hasn't always performed the best but he's always put the effort in for the shirt, that's what I look for in one of our players. I feel like he actually might end up being a bit of a cult hero but maybe that's the whisky talking.

I haven't always understood the hate. Yes he hasn't always performed the best but he's always put the effort in for the shirt, that's what I look for in one of our players. I feel like he actually might end up being a bit of a cult hero but maybe that's the whisky talking.
The one and only critcism that of Emerson is that he doesn't quiet have the attacking quality of a wing back Conte wants... No one is questioning his heart and effort he gives every game. I really like Emerson's energy and enthusiasm he brings to the club a lot. I also think he's a great team mate. Love seeing his celebrations whenever we score a goal. Personally I would love to see him continue to improve and become a regular under Conte.

Last edited:
The one and only critcism that of Emerson is that he doesn't quiet have the attacking quality of a wing back Conte wants... No one is questioning his heart and effort he gives every game. I really like Emerson's energy and enthusiasm he brings to the club a lot. I also think he's a great team mate. Love seeing his celebrations whenever we score a goal. Personally I would love to see him continue to improve and become a regular under Conte.

No that is not the one and only criticism.

He can’t pass, can’t cross, is a weak defender, has no speed, can’t shoot, is poor positionally unless he is asked to do nothing.

There is no chance he can become good under any manager. He is absolute dog shit.

Had two good chances yesterday so at least he’s listening to Conte’s advice

No that is not the one and only criticism.

He can’t pass, can’t cross, is a weak defender, has no speed, can’t shoot, is poor positionally unless he is asked to do nothing.

There is no chance he can become good under any manager. He is absolute dog shit.
Goal Omg GIF by JustViral

Some people are so darn stupid/ignorant - and so lacking in the ability to self-reflect - that they're not able to see themselves when they're wrong - or at last not admit it. In other words, they're mentally "blind". And that's what some of the most ardent critics of Emerson are.
Some of the Emerson haters rather want Emerson to play badly (even to the detriment of the team) so they can prove their point -and thus keep on harping over how "right" they are - rather than wanting Emerson to play well, as they then will have to eat humble pies.
No, he will most probably never be a top-quality RWB and yes Spurs should be looking at at least 1 new RWB for next season.... but the fact is that Emerson has played solid against 2 top-4 EPL teams 2 games in a row now and should have the Spurs fans cheering him up rather than bringing up the past or pretending to be clairvoyant by "predicting" his run of good games is just luck or coincidential.
Apart from being solid defensively in the 2 last games, he also did make some smart forward runs and got into 2 scoring positions.
PS! I know you "haters" will dislike this post and even hope for him to have a stinker next game 😁

Last edited:
His new position as a sort of inverted wingback seems to suit his strengths more. He's not as congested as he is out on the touchline, and contributes more in attack this way.

And I think that even his harshest of critics can compliment him on his defending.

Same thing has been said about Moura over number of years.
Never really improved and never been good enough to be starter for top 4 team.

I agree - Royal has been good in past 2 games on defensive side. And if he stays it would not be massive problem - I think against bigger sides we need also more defensive FB option. But I would not jump a gun just yet. It might be better option for him and the club if we can find a FB who is better going forward and Emerson can find a club that plays system where he suits better to.

Once more - 2 good games. Really hope he can produce 2 more of those. But against Burnley and Norwich we need more accuracy and drive going forward as well.

Some people are so darn stupid/ignorant - and so lacking in the ability to self-reflect - that they're not able to see themselves when they're wrong - or at last not admit it. In other words, they're mentally "blind". And that's what some of the most ardent critics of Emerson are.
Some of the Emerson haters rather want Emerson to play badly (even to the detriment of the team) so they can prove their point -and thus keep on harping over how "right" they are - rather than wanting Emerson to play well, as they then will have to eat humble pies.
No, he will most probably never be a top-quality RWB and yes Spurs should be looking at at least 1 new RWB for next season.... but the fact is that Emerson has played solid against 2 top-4 EPL teams 2 games in a row now and should have the Spurs fans cheering him up rather than bringing up the past or pretending to be clairvoyant by "predicting" his run of good games is just luck or coincidential.
Apart from being solid defensively in the 2 last games, he also did make some smart forward runs and got into 2 scoring positions.
Nobody (besides a moron like Igula) wants Emerson to play poorly. Yesterday he was ok. Still fairly weak offensively even though we played against 10 men most of the game. Did decently defensively but was still beat occasionally, most notably when Woolwich got in behind him and created a cutback chance when they still had 11 on the pitch. Again, wasn’t tested much vs 10.

But he wasn’t great as some say. And if he was, then the standards we have for him are really, really low. Highly doubt he was even in our top half of performers. It’s also ridiculous to say “the haters were wrong” because of 1-2 decent games. Maybe he has turned it around… but a few decent games doesn’t prove that.

The only thing I’ve seen from the last few games suggest that he could be a backup that doesn’t completely ruin us but doesn’t really help us either.

People are emphatically against him because we can see how poor his technical ability is and players don’t just magically become adequate technically.

We still need a much much better option at his position.

Back
Top Bottom