Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nobody (besides a moron like Igula) wants Emerson to play poorly. Yesterday he was ok. Still fairly weak offensively even though we played against 10 men most of the game. Did decently defensively but was still beat occasionally, most notably when Woolwich got in behind him and created a cutback chance when they still had 11 on the pitch. Again, wasn’t tested much vs 10.

But he wasn’t great as some say. And if he was, then the standards we have for him are really, really low. Highly doubt he was even in our top half of performers. It’s also ridiculous to say “the haters were wrong” because of 1-2 decent games. Maybe he has turned it around… but a few decent games doesn’t prove that.

The only thing I’ve seen from the last few games suggest that he could be a backup that doesn’t completely ruin us but doesn’t really help us either.

People are emphatically against him because we can see how poor his technical ability is and players don’t just magically become adequate technically.

We still need a much much better option at his position.
Not going to lie...I speed read your post and my up vote came three words in....

His new position as a sort of inverted wingback seems to suit his strengths more. He's not as congested as he is out on the touchline, and contributes more in attack this way.

And I think that even his harshest of critics can compliment him on his defending.
He’s playing inverted because he literally hasn’t the athleticism to beat players out wide.

He’s been solid the last few games but he will never ever be good enough to be a Conte wing back.

Nobody (besides a moron like Igula) wants Emerson to play poorly. Yesterday he was ok. Still fairly weak offensively even though we played against 10 men most of the game. Did decently defensively but was still beat occasionally, most notably when Woolwich got in behind him and created a cutback chance when they still had 11 on the pitch. Again, wasn’t tested much vs 10.

But he wasn’t great as some say. And if he was, then the standards we have for him are really, really low. Highly doubt he was even in our top half of performers. It’s also ridiculous to say “the haters were wrong” because of 1-2 decent games. Maybe he has turned it around… but a few decent games doesn’t prove that.

The only thing I’ve seen from the last few games suggest that he could be a backup that doesn’t completely ruin us but doesn’t really help us either.

People are emphatically against him because we can see how poor his technical ability is and players don’t just magically become adequate technically.

I am not saying he's a world-beater or that Spurs should keep him but the name callings he (and Doherty, & Winks ) is getting is simply deplorable - and reflects the minds of those people. And it sure not going to help Emerson play better.
And I see now that when he's being praised for his 2nd "solid" performance some of his "haters" have to make the world know how bad he's been without a word of praise for his contribution in 2 vitally important games.

Never nice said or suggested I want him to play bad but keep making shit up to hide your stupidity.

I know it is too much for people to be honest about shit players and instead have to resort to lying about them to make themselves feel better but that doesn’t change the fact that Emerson is complete dog shit.

He was OK. He tried a lot and put himself about.. that’s about it. He’s a likeable but fundamentally limited footballer who we will get a decent fee for from a mid table club somewhere.

There’s really nothing more to see here. Fair play to him for stepping up and giving it a go, can’t ask him to be something he isn’t.

I am not saying he's a world-beater or that Spurs should keep him but the name callings he (and Doherty, & Winks ) is getting is simply deplorable - and reflects the minds of those people. And it sure not going to help Emerson play better.
And I see now that when he's being praised for his 2nd "solid" performance some of his "haters" have to make the world know how bad he's been without a word of praise for his contribution in 2 vitally important games.
That’s fair. Name calling after a decent game is unnecessary… maintaining doubts like most of the level posters is fine.

As I’ve stated before, I don’t think anyone dislikes Emerson himself… just the management for the poor scouting and poor decision to spend 30 million on him. It’s quite ridiculous when we chase out RB after RB for small fees and then buy a worse one for a fee almost more than all of them combined!

A fair post. Igula Igula in ruins again.

He’s playing inverted because he literally hasn’t the athleticism to beat players out wide.

Neither has Doherty.

He’s been solid the last few games but he will never ever be good enough to be a Conte wing back.

Right now I couldn't give a shit what the future holds for him.....

He's Spurs and we have a job to do and if Conte has found a way to tweak things (inverting him) to get a better performance out of Emerson and help the team then bring it on......

No that is not the one and only criticism.

He can’t pass, can’t cross, is a weak defender, has no speed, can’t shoot, is poor positionally unless he is asked to do nothing.

There is no chance he can become good under any manager. He is absolute dog shit.

Cat Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Agree with pretty much all of this.

On at least a couple of occasions he got too tight to the winger and got beat by the ball played inside him to the on running winger.

He has improved immensely though.

No matter his level of improvement, he is not, was not and never will be good enough going forward that the wingback in our system needs to be.

Doherty, who again we should have better options than, is better suited and a better player overall IMO despite the volume of quite unfair shite he got from the majority.

Was mostly defensively solid, outside the one time Martinelli got away from him in the opening ten minutes, and got one really good save out of Ramsdale, can't say I have any complaints, he should work on his shooting if he plans to keep getting in those positions though.

Back
Top Bottom