Emiliano Sala

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cardiff City has passed on details to prosecutors in France to consider whether FC Nantes has a case to answer over the death of Emiliano Sala.
37 minutes ago​

The Argentine, 28, and his pilot died when their plane from France to Wales crashed in the sea on 21 January 2019.

The Bluebirds have refused to pay a £15m transfer fee to the French club and said "sufficient evidence of wrongdoing" has been found.

Nantes said the club was "absolutely stunned" by the move.

Cardiff City has passed on details to prosecutors in France to consider whether FC Nantes has a case to answer over the death of Emiliano Sala.
37 minutes ago​

The Argentine, 28, and his pilot died when their plane from France to Wales crashed in the sea on 21 January 2019.

The Bluebirds have refused to pay a £15m transfer fee to the French club and said "sufficient evidence of wrongdoing" has been found.

Nantes said the club was "absolutely stunned" by the move.

That really is a cunt of a move.

They might not have "got" him but IIRC he was registered as a player with them. So he was their player.

I might have that wrong?

They're arguing about the registration details though. No fucking idea if they're in the right about it or not though.

Tbf, Cardiff said they spoke to Nantes about splitting the fee between them and paying it to the families of the deceased, which seems to me to have been an ideal solution.

Nobody coming out of this looking good, right now.

They're arguing about the registration details though. No fucking idea if they're in the right about it or not though.

Tbf, Cardiff said they spoke to Nantes about splitting the fee between them and paying it to the families of the deceased, which seems to me to have been an ideal solution.

Fifa ruled he was a Cardiff player and they owe Nantes the first payment its now going to CAS as Cardiff are appealing.

If nobody is coming out of this looking good Cardiff have consistently looked worst.

Fifa ruled he was a Cardiff player and they owe Nantes the first payment its now going to CAS as Cardiff are appealing.

If nobody is coming out of this looking good Cardiff have consistently looked worst.

I don't disagree, for the time being. But as we don't hold all the info, it'll be interesting to see what is eventually decided. So I stand by my post.

Agreed they are arguing about the registration details - but I think its the fact that the buying club (themselves) had not completed them !

Might be similar to selling a house/flat and the purchaser forgetting to inform Land Registry (in the uk). Then the house/flat burns down before buyer has moved in but not insured it, so buyer tries to get seller to give him his money back. Not the sellers responsibility.

Last edited:
Surprised neither club has tried to involve the 'agent' (Willie McKay and son ?) who organised the flight, which they should/must have known was technically breaking the law although relatively common practice at that time (or so I understand), and who must have owed a duty of care to the passenger and to look after the player on behalf of one or other club.

Possibly a bit of a grey area, but I'm sure whoever loses the case around the transfer will involve the agent next, as I'm betting the player wasn't insured to undertake such a flight.

Surprised neither club has tried to involve the 'agent' (Willie McKay and son ?) who organised the flight, which they should/must have known was technically breaking the law although relatively common practice at that time (or so I understand), and who must have owed a duty of care to the passenger and to look after the player on behalf of one or other club.

Possibly a bit of a grey area, but I'm sure whoever loses the case around the transfer will involve the agent next, as I'm betting the player wasn't insured to undertake such a flight.
According to ESPN Cardiff are linking the agents

"However, Cardiff claimed the circumstances surrounding Sala's death, in a plane organised by an agent who brokered the transfer, meant Nantes were liable for damages caused to them and appealed to CAS. "

According to ESPN Cardiff are linking the agents

"However, Cardiff claimed the circumstances surrounding Sala's death, in a plane organised by an agent who brokered the transfer, meant Nantes were liable for damages caused to them and appealed to CAS. "

Interesting but no surprise

ATM, Cardiff are trying to go after Nantes as they have deep pockets/are owed the cash.

If Cardiff go after the agents I cant see Cardiff being able to argue that Nantes are responsible for every detail of the agents actions (although I might be wrong in law ) as that means every time the agent sneezes Nantes is responsible - so whilst Nantes maybe responsible for the agent organising a plane flight, they are not responsible for the agent organising a plane flight which broke the law and was inherently dangerous (pilot not licenced to carry passengers or fly at night etc) unless Nantes were expressly told - its the agents responsibility

So it then becomes a question as to whether, if found to be responsible for organising a flight with an unlicenced pilot, they have the deep pockets to pay Cardiff (who I think will be found to have bought the player.

Thoughts ?

Interesting but no surprise

ATM, Cardiff are trying to go after Nantes as they have deep pockets/are owed the cash.

If Cardiff go after the agents I cant see Cardiff being able to argue that Nantes are responsible for every detail of the agents actions (although I might be wrong in law ) as that means every time the agent sneezes Nantes is responsible - so whilst Nantes maybe responsible for the agent organising a plane flight, they are not responsible for the agent organising a plane flight which broke the law and was inherently dangerous (pilot not licenced to carry passengers or fly at night etc) unless Nantes were expressly told - its the agents responsibility

So it then becomes a question as to whether, if found to be responsible for organising a flight with an unlicenced pilot, they have the deep pockets to pay Cardiff (who I think will be found to have bought the player.

Thoughts ?
If you go after the agents you are looking for compensation, i.e. they would have to pay Nantes and then recoup back from Nantes / Agent in compensation (depending upon liability).

They are currently arguing that the deal didn't go through rather than go through a potentially long / drawn out court case against first the agency (that will go bankrupt) and then Nantes.

I think we are basically saying the same thing, the deal got international clearance TMS and they announced him as their player - the Silva deal to Leicester seems relevant as they couldn't go back on that deal regardless of EPL registration or not.

If you go after the agents you are looking for compensation, i.e. they would have to pay Nantes and then recoup back from Nantes / Agent in compensation (depending upon liability).

They are currently arguing that the deal didn't go through rather than go through a potentially long / drawn out court case against first the agency (that will go bankrupt) and then Nantes.

I think we are basically saying the same thing, the deal got international clearance TMS and they announced him as their player - the Silva deal to Leicester seems relevant as they couldn't go back on that deal regardless of EPL registration or not.

Thanks for that.

Not sure if you saw this, looks like its going to be a long road going after McKay and his son who appear to have been working in some sort of partnership with the son being the agent but father working alongside as he was not a licenced intermediary/agent (and just emerged from bankruptcy).

Meanwhile money was raised to continue the search for the lost plane by players. Cardiff's Malaysian billionaire owner apparently didn't spend a cent. Cardiff behaviour has been disgraceful.

Back
Top Bottom