England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So....Tammy Abraham gets a hattrick away at Wolves to add to a brace away at Norwich making it 7 PL goals in 5 PL appearances so far.

Last season on loan at Aston Villa in the Championship he got 25 goals in 37 appearances - excellent stats in what is probably in Europe's 5th toughest league. And at aged 20./21.....even better

He was called up for an England friendly in 2017 just before the WC when he wasn't ready, but if I were Southgate I'd certainly call him up for the next squad and at least get him training with the rest of the squad.

From both an England and Spurs point of view we need to have decent alternative strikers to Harry Kane, and adding Tammy Abraham to Callum Wilson (whose goal scoring record isn't as good as Abraham) does just that - still very young at not quite 22, but definitely get him in now.....beside which he's probably eligible for Nigeria so better to ensure he stays committed to England.

Kane Rose and Winks included - Dele and Dier are not, at least in part as both just back from injuries

Players include Abraham, Mount and Tomori (all Chelsea) after Lampards promotion of them all to Chelsea first team following clubs transfer ban.

GK -. Pickford, Heaton, Pope

CBs - Maguire, Keane Ming's Tomori, Gomez

FBs - Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Rose, Chilwell

Mids - Winks, Delph, Rice , Mount, Barkley, Henderson, Madison

Forwards - Kane, Abraham, Wilson, Rashford, Sancho Sterling

25 man squad

Not too much controversy about the squad I guess

Notable alternatives are probably :

GK - Butland, Gunn

CBs - Stones, Tarkowski, ,Dunk

FBs - Wan- Bissaka, Walker, Shaw

Mids - Dele, Dier Lingard Foden , Grealish, Loftus- - Cheek, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Cook

Fwds - Hudson - Odoi

Not too many others I'd have thought ?

And some of these not included due to injuries or just coming back from eg Hudson-Odoi

Kane Rose and Winks included - Dele and Dier are not, at least in part as both just back from injuries

Players include Abraham, Mount and Tomori (all Chelsea) after Lampards promotion of them all to Chelsea first team following clubs transfer ban.

25 man squad

---------------Pickford---------------------
TAA----Gomez----Maguire----Chilwell
-----------Winks----Mount----------------
Sancho--------Maddison--------Sterling
---------------------Kane--------------------

Oh boyyyyyy

Quite excited to see the new wave of English youngsters. Wan Bissaka and Hudson Odoi are also missing from the above.

The world cup and euro cup winning youngsters are coming through.

What we need is strength in depth. A bench of reliable players that can deputise for the stars in a major tournament. That is something England have always lacked

25 man squad

Henderson (Sheffield United on loan from ManU) replaces Heaton who has dropped out.

Interesting choice, as I thought Southgate would call up Angus Gunn (Southampton GK who had 2 seasons as Norwich GK in the Championship) who is slightly more experienced than Henderson and a year older. Glad that Southgate didn't pick Butland given his wretched form at Stoke atm, but the obvious choice.

Perhaps we might have a genuine choice of English goalkeepers playing in PL soon !

Hardly surprising that England, widely understood as the most racist nation on earth, has seemingly attempted to combat racism by racially stereotyping Bulgaria. Obviously this was the FA's goal anyway - to abuse another nation - but manipulating a young black player in the process was a particularly stylish twist (at least for those English racists in favour of the overarching culture of racism in England).

Hardly surprising that England, widely understood as the most racist nation on earth, has seemingly attempted to combat racism by racially stereotyping Bulgaria. Obviously this was the FA's goal anyway - to abuse another nation - but manipulating a young black player in the process was a particularly stylish twist (at least for those English racists in favour of the overarching culture of racism in England).

Give it a rest Vince , what makes hour own racism towards the English any better?

Desperate.

Not a busy day.

Southgate should be naming another England squad shortly (Thursday ?) for matches v Montenegro (Thursday 14 November) and Kosova (Sunday 17th November) - my thoughts on a 25 man squad with possible alternatives in brackets :

GK – Pickford, Dean Henderson, Heaton (Pope, Angus Gunn, Butland, Aaron Ramsdale)
LB – Rose, Chilwell (Bertrand, Cresswell, Shaw)
RB - Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, (Walker, Wan Bissaka)
CB - Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Tomori, Mings (Tarkowski, Keane, Lascalles, Dunk)
CM – Rice, Winks, Henderson, Barkley
(Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cook, Dier, Hughes, Ward-Prowse, Tom Davies)
AM – Grealish, Maddison, Dele, Sterling, Sancho, Mount
(Foden, Lingard, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Harvey Barnes)
FWD – Rashford, Kane, Abraham (Wilson, Vardy, )

25 man squad (+ possible others in brackets)

Squad has improved a lot in quality over the last, say, 3 years, with reasonable alternatives in all positions, although GK is a little weak (but a couple of youngsters looking good in Henderson on loan at Sheffield United and Ramsdale at Bournemouth), and likewise the LB position where Bertrand and Cresswell are the best alternatives I could think of with Shaw who imo is regressing rather than progressing - I'd guess Southgate is praying Ryan Sessegnon comes good as a LB this season before the Euros.

A few places up for grabs, for example Gomez is not getting much time at Liverpool so Southgate may pick a more regular starter, and same argument with Dele.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Not a busy day.

Southgate should be naming another England squad shortly (Thursday ?) for matches v Montenegro (Thursday 14 November) and Kosova (Sunday 17th November) - my thoughts on a 25 man squad with possible alternatives in brackets :

GK – Pickford, Dean Henderson, Heaton (Pope, Angus Gunn, Butland, Aaron Ramsdale)
LB – Rose, Chilwell (Bertrand, Cresswell, Shaw)
RB - Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, (Walker, Wan Bissaka)
CB - Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Tomori, Mings (Tarkowski, Keane, Lascalles, Dunk)
CM – Rice, Winks, Henderson, Barkley
(Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cook, Dier, Hughes, Ward-Prowse, Tom Davies)
AM – Grealish, Maddison, Dele, Sterling, Sancho, Mount
(Foden, Lingard, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Harvey Barnes)
FWD – Rashford, Kane, Abraham (Wilson, Vardy, )

25 man squad (+ possible others in brackets)

Squad has improved a lot in quality over the last, say, 3 years, with reasonable alternatives in all positions, although GK is a little weak (but a couple of youngsters looking good in Henderson on loan at Sheffield United and Ramsdale at Bournemouth), and likewise the LB position where Bertrand and Cresswell are the best alternatives I could think of with Shaw who imo is regressing rather than progressing - I'd guess Southgate is praying Ryan Sessegnon comes good as a LB this season before the Euros.

A few places up for grabs, for example Gomez is not getting much time at Liverpool so Southgate may pick a more regular starter, and same argument with Dele.

Thoughts ?

Southgate names a 27 man squad.

No real surprises, virtually the same as I posted above with a couple of minor tweaks such as :
- Pope retaining his GK position, without Dean Henderson coming in.
- Dele has not been called up - good as he's just back from injury but could actually do with games to get fully match fit. But just training should minimise chances of another immediate hamstring through playing too much too soon.
- Oxlade-Chamberlain and Hudson-Odoi returns to the squad (thought he would be on the reserve list), but no Grealish call up.
- Wilson retains his spot as a striker (thought he might be dropped in favour of Abraham but making it a 27 man squad means Wilson is one of two unforeseen call ups) and equally Delph not dropped is the other unforeseen call ups - both players were on my expected reserve list above !

Think I've almost got the qualification and experience to call up England Squads now - where is that halo ?!

Last edited:
Think this is the 27 man squad - Really hate the alphabetic order of the announced squad, so much easier to understand when in position order !

GK – Pickford, Heaton, Pope
LB – Rose, Chilwell
RB - Trippier, Alexander-Arnold,
CB - Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Tomori, Mings
CM – Rice, Winks, Henderson, Barkley, Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain
AM – Maddison, Sterling, Sancho, Mount Hudson-Odoi
FWD – Rashford, Kane, Abraham Wilson,

A midfield of Rice, Winks, Henderson, Barkley, Delph and OX screams mediocrity, you would expect the the players of this standard representing some 3rd tier national team like Austria/Czech ffs.

A midfield of Rice, Winks, Henderson, Barkley, Delph and OX screams mediocrity, you would expect the the players of this standard representing some 3rd tier national team like Austria/Czech ffs.

England's strength is in its forward line which will so. It most matches, even if the midfield isn't riveting and probably it's weakest part - although I think it's not as bad as you suggest.

Kane, Sterling, Sancho and one other is stronger than most countries can put out.

E u21's with Brandon Austin (GK) included (although with Aaron Ramsdale now a regular starter for PL Bournemouth that might be academic), Oliver Skipp retains his place and first call up in Spurs colours of Ryan Sessegnon (just hope he plays a little but not too much as he's only played 16 minutes for Spurs !).

Quite a few interesting players included such as Max Aarons, Jonathan Panzo, Tom Davies, Phil Foden, Ebere Eze and Mason Greenwood to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom