England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No Spurs interest in E u19's although we have several good youngsters who could be included in either u19's or u18's.

Most noteworthy player in the squad is probably Bobby Duncarn (Steven Gerrard's nephew) who left ManCity (and having a year left onn his contrat was without a club fr that time) to join Liverpool but due to limited playing time bulldozed his way out of there to move to Fiorentina. Player power.

England u18's

Goalkeepers: Oliver Bosworth (Leicester City), Nathan Broome (Stoke City), Hubert Graczyk (Woolwich)

Defenders: Jeriel Dorsett (Reading), Malachi Fagan-Walcott (Tottenham Hotspur), Valentino Livramento (Chelsea), Dynel Simeu (Chelsea), Nathan Wood (Middlesbrough)

Midfielders: Miguel Azeez (Woolwich), Dennis Cirkin (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabio Carvalho (Fulham), Nonso Madueke (PSV Eindhoven), Yunus Musah (Valencia), Cole Palmer (Manchester City), Jensen Weir (Wigan Athletic), Joe White (Newcastle United)

Forwards: Joseph Gelhardt (Wigan Athletic), Sam Greenwood (Woolwich), Alex Mighten (Nottingham Forest), Jeremy Sarmiento (Benfica), Morgan Rogers (Manchester City)
www.thefa.com/news/2019/nov/08/england-mu18s-pinatar-tournament-squad-081119

Wallcott (CB) and Cirkin (LB) included. Surprised Binks is not included.

Noni Mandueke (probably best player in that year group) couldn't see a route through to the first team at Spurs so declined the Academy Scholarship at Spurs and went to PSV - now involved with the first team there.

Last edited:

No Spurs interest in E u19's although we have several good youngsters who could be included in either u19's or u18's.

Most noteworthy player in the squad is probably Bobby Duncarn (Steven Gerrard's nephew) who left ManCity (and having a year left onn his contrat was without a club fr that time) to join Liverpool but due to limited playing time bulldozed his way out of there to move to Fiorentina. Player power.

Paris Maghoma called up for E u19s

It's always easy to leave one of your best players out of the squad if you are playing against Montenegro at home and are already on 15 points after 6 matches. Wonder what he would've done if this had happened days before the quarter-finals v Germany at the Euros.

England u18's

Goalkeepers: Oliver Bosworth (Leicester City), Nathan Broome (Stoke City), Hubert Graczyk (Woolwich)

Defenders: Jeriel Dorsett (Reading), Malachi Fagan-Walcott (Tottenham Hotspur), Valentino Livramento (Chelsea), Dynel Simeu (Chelsea), Nathan Wood (Middlesbrough)

Midfielders: Miguel Azeez (Woolwich), Dennis Cirkin (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabio Carvalho (Fulham), Nonso Madueke (PSV Eindhoven), Yunus Musah (Valencia), Cole Palmer (Manchester City), Jensen Weir (Wigan Athletic), Joe White (Newcastle United)

Forwards: Joseph Gelhardt (Wigan Athletic), Sam Greenwood (Woolwich), Alex Mighten (Nottingham Forest), Jeremy Sarmiento (Benfica), Morgan Rogers (Manchester City)
www.thefa.com/news/2019/nov/08/england-mu18s-pinatar-tournament-squad-081119

Wallcott (CB) and Cirkin (LB) included. Surprised Binks is not included.

Noni Mandueke (probably best player in that year group) couldn't see a route through to the first team at Spurs so declined the Academy Scholarship at Spurs and went to PSV - now involved with the first team there.

Walcott drops out of E u18's.

Probably through injury but just a chance that its because he's involved in tonight's match v Gillingham for Spurs u23's

It's always easy to leave one of your best players out of the squad if you are playing against Montenegro at home and are already on 15 points after 6 matches. Wonder what he would've done if this had happened days before the quarter-finals v Germany at the Euros.

Shame Kane hasn't been dropped out. Looked like he could do with a rest v Sheffield, which is hat Ferguson used to do with ManU

Not England, but why haven't we pulled Ndombele from the France squad when he is injured FFS?
Last international break Bayern had the same problem with Hernandez their top transfer (80€) . Bayerns doctor said he is injured and will not play for france also rummenige and hoeness I think said he will stay in Munich. In the end he had to go to the national team so their doctors could check him if he was really injured and he was and did not play. But bayern have a history with France (ribery) and other players so i don't know if they just do it to bayern or every club in not trusting their doctors.

Last international break Bayern had the same problem with Hernandez their top transfer (80€) . Bayerns doctor said he is injured and will not play for france also rummenige and hoeness I think said he will stay in Munich. In the end he had to go to the national team so their doctors could check him if he was really injured and he was and did not play. But bayern have a history with France (ribery) and other players so i don't know if they just do it to bayern or every club in not trusting their doctors.

I get your point but Liverpool & United routinely get away with it.

ESM8ETpWsAA0Dst

^ I'm really looking forward to a pair of grudge matches with Belgium tbh fams

Since this is the closest thing to a de facto England thread that hasn't been memory-holed, I thought I'd share a long response I just composed to a German lad who said that he hated the English for being "so smug" and that he loved watching us drop out of tournaments. I'm just sharing for the hell of it because I've never really analysed the special level of hatred many people have for the England national team before (and it is my main team, after all).

I think that's a bit of an injustice (only a small one) in international football fandom. Not the part about enjoying seeing us go out - I get that: I loved watching your 2018 catastrophe - but the part about us being "smug". Have you gone through a Reddit thread or the comments on a YT highlights video after any of our Euro 2020 qualifiers?

The dominant sentiment is as negative as it always has been: "we're still shit", "we'll fuck it up when it matters", "it was a friendly", "they had injuries", "they were playing their B-team", "they were only farmers", "we didn't deserve to win", "we were boring and shit"... (I could go on indefinitely, becoming increasingly specific, if I had to because I see and hear this stuff all the time, and that's just our own "fans"). These excuses come out whether we've beaten San Marino by 8 goals or we've beaten Germany to extend our 20 year run of not having lost in Germany. The number of our supporters who condescendingly self-police each other and tell anyone who gets excited about our team to "calm down" because "we're shit" is ridiculous. It's been like that for a generation now. (I like to interrogate those guys: if we're earnestly "shit", what the hell are San Marino? God help me, I love San Marino and always cheer for them in any match that's not against us, but they're not.. good)

The sentiments didn't change much at all throughout Euro 2020 qualifying even as we completely decimated our group beyond anything I've seen us do in my lifetime. We didn't have a rock-bottom group in terms of opposition strength - the Czech Republic and Kosovo are both tidy sides - but we ended with the highest goals per game of any team and it wasn't even particularly close (4.6 vs Belgium's 4.0 and Italy's 4.1). Harry Kane alone accounted for 12 goals and 5 assists in our 8 matches: breaking records for goals, goal contributions and consecutive qualifiers scored in (becoming the only player ever to score in every game of a Euro campaign).

When Kane got injured at the turn of the year, people on Twitter - and not some tiny fringe either - were actually celebrating because "Kane is shit and we might get out of the group stage without him" (fans are so fickle that Kane has genuinely gone back to being underrated). "Should've squared it to Sterling" still gets more likes to this day than most of the replies in Kane's defence. It's all bullshit, obviously, but it's par for the course when it comes to actual English people's actual attitudes towards the national team. It's mostly hate and criticism: there's no hero-worship or superiority complex.

Surely you realise that "it's coming home" is just one huge cope (precisely because it never does)? We deserve a cope after all the bad luck we've had in major tournaments over the years. The misfortune is illustrated no clearer than by our lack of success in the area of football that everyone agrees is by far the most dependent on luck. Our shootout record was the absolute worst of any nation until 2018, yet our aggregate score across all shootouts is 36-41. To have been kicked out of more than a half-dozen tournaments with an overall margin that tight is to have been cosmically cursed by the wrong random probability distribution.

Of course, often the content of what we say doesn't actually matter. A lot of people, whether they do it consciously or not, just want to interpret anything English or British as uncharitably as possible, through the lens of cognitive error. We're not a popular country. Our historical success and importance have rendered a hated nation. People don't like that we created and codified football in the first serious sense, founded the first FA, have the most popular domestic league in the world (hate for the PL and its fans causes projection onto our national team with its extreme % domestic players), spawned and/or popularised as many major international sports as every other country put together (then had the audacity to not always suck at them and occasionally win top honours); we also had the most "successful" empire, we "took their islands", incidentally used our cultural hegemony to push English as the global lingua franca, have "guilt" by association with America (many - not incorrectly - view us as their toy poodle), have all of our historical misdeeds writ large and hammered into everyone's heads at school as the ultimate imperialistic evil (often leaving as footnotes identical empires throughout Europe that differed only in size); we cooperated heavily in such classic military blunders as Iraq War '03 (despite a million of us marching in protest of it at the time), we voted Brexit, and our "lads on tour" tourists are the worst in the world (I genuinely apologise for that one -- I hate it). There are a million other things that nobody alive today had anything to do with and a million more that only our aristocracy ever had any control over. I'm still a proud Englishman and proud Briton, but I have the self-awareness to understand why we're hated worldwide, regardless of how valid (or not) those feelings are (especially in relation to today's Britain).

Anyway, I know this is an effort-post in response to a throwaway comment but I'm tired of this misconception that actual people in England perceive our team as anything more than good. It's our media that goes into overdrive and I'd hope that anyone could empathise with the idea that a country's national media doesn't accurately represent its laypeople's opinions (can anyone honestly say theirs does?). We get the rough end of it, however, because far more people can interact with our large public English-language media than can with that of any other major footballing nation, which causes many cognitive effects and biases: availability bias based on prominence, confirmation bias across borders whose only common language is English or within borders where there's a lot of variance in the standard of English, translation errors, "Chinese whispers" transmission errors in which many people hear third-/fourth-/nth-hand information and received "wisdom", distillation errors that frequently co-occur with the last set, and so on.

I really don't feel like we deserve any special level of contempt in the football world, beyond our permanent status as a major-nation rival, but we get it in abundance anyway.

Back
Top Bottom