***** England v Albania 19:45 12th Nov ITV *******

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Gareth (can we stop the "Gary" thing? It's incredibly patronising, see also "Woy") fully knows his best attacking midfield/media puntas but the Sterling-Kane-Foden front three works for me.

Phillips and Rice I don't think you can argue much with. Henderson is a fine stand-in.

There's incredible competition for the two full back spots, they all seem brilliant to me. Walker maybe the weakest of all of them.

Maguire and Stones may not be the world's best but they'll do, there's no one better. Maguire's enormous head is always going to cause problems.

Pickford's fine.

I don't think the players below that are at the same level just yet. That's where my concerns lie

Stones is excellent now that he doesn't make the mistakes he used to make. When he keeps things simple he's top class. Give it another year or two and I think Tomori will be his partner.

I don't think Gareth (can we stop the "Gary" thing? It's incredibly patronising, see also "Woy") fully knows his best attacking midfield/media puntas but the Sterling-Kane-Foden front three works for me.

Phillips and Rice I don't think you can argue much with. Henderson is a fine stand-in.

There's incredible competition for the two full back spots, they all seem brilliant to me. Walker maybe the weakest of all of them.

Maguire and Stones may not be the world's best but they'll do, there's no one better. Maguire's enormous head is always going to cause problems.

Pickford's fine.

I don't think the players below that are at the same level just yet. That's where my concerns lie

We lack a real elite midfielder. Foden and Kane are class, defence works, wing backs are fine but against teams of Italy’s quality we really miss a Carrick type.

We lack a real elite midfielder. Foden and Kane are class, defence works, wing backs are fine but against teams of Italy’s quality we really miss a Carrick type.

Rice is brilliant at what he does. We do miss a Verratti type midfielder, but to be fair so do most countries.

Rice is brilliant at what he does. We do miss a Verratti type midfielder, but to be fair so do most countries.

Rice is a good DM but he isn’t elite on the ball, he is elite at spotting danger and covering which is what a traditional DM does. Arguably young Bellingham may have that quality but you feel he is a bit to inexperienced at this stage. I was thinking more Jorginho than Verratti although he is great as well.

Pickford's fine.

Gary as a slur was boring from day 1.

Philips and rice goes back to his cautious ways, Domenech shows it can be successful.

CB is where we don't compare but not miles off, everywhere else we are in the conversation for being top bracket... (perhaps GK)

Not many great MF with great players around them.

France are the standout imo but player for player we are not far behind.

Rice is a good DM but he isn’t elite on the ball, he is elite at spotting danger and covering which is what a traditional DM does. Arguably young Bellingham may have that quality but you feel he is a bit to inexperienced at this stage. I was thinking more Jorginho than Verratti although he is great as well.

Funny that Carrick was often looked down on a bit for England for being too slow, because most English people loved those box to box Gerrard and Lampard style players so much. I honestly believe Foden could do that role for us if played deep, but then you would be wasting some of his talent and ideally you want him as close to the opponents box as often as possible.

Gary as a slur was boring from day 1.

Philips and rice goes back to his cautious ways, Domenech shows it can be successful.

CB is where we don't compare but not miles off, everywhere else we are in the conversation for being top bracket... (perhaps GK)
See, I don't think pragmatic is boring.

We were far from boring in the Euros knock-out stages and final for example.

I think that's Rice. Well, nearly so.

He is a great DM but he isn't going to dictate play against elite teams. It’s hard to get those type of players but I feel it’s what we lack, a Carrick, Modric, Jorginho because we are great on the front foot but when under pressure you need ball players who are ultra press resistant and smart in distribution. That would probably take us over the line in terms of being favourites in any game even against Italy and the like.

Funny that Carrick was often looked down on a bit for England for being too slow, because most English people loved those box to box Gerrard and Lampard style players so much. I honestly believe Foden could do that role for us if played deep, but then you would be wasting some of his talent and ideally you want him as close to the opponents box as often as possible.

Carrick to be fair in his younger days was a liability without the ball. After he went United his defensive positioning improved dramatically while his passing game was always elite.

I agree that the Gerrard/Lampard thing was stupid, the England managers of the day should have used Parker/Carrick at the base to add balance. Foden could develop into a player in almost any position but I think City want him further up top.

See, I don't think pragmatic is boring.

We were far from boring in the Euros knock-out stages and final for example.
I meant Gary as a slur was boring rather than him (changed).

He is lacking with in game management, both Italy and Croatia shows that, these were games where management can really make the difference. Was saying that real time as game was going so no hindsight.

But he really does seem to learn from his failures.

He is a great DM but he isn't going to dictate play against elite teams. It’s hard to get those type of players but I feel it’s what we lack, a Carrick, Modric, Jorginho because we are great on the front foot but when under pressure you need ball players who are ultra press resistant and smart in distribution.
Yeah, but you can't just invent those players.

Between Rice and Phillips we're OK there - not great, maybe other teams are stronger in that area - but very decent.

Yeah, it'd be awesome to drop a 29-year-old Hoddle or a nationalised Modric in there for some games but then again, for others...

Looks like Wolverhampton
88314F08-0081-42C4-857D-D385CFCBA647.jpg

22801423-C086-4697-8570-808412E16488.jpg

A48A83C8-A4B5-4F65-8D5D-C80FF7E75CAD.webp

Apparently it’s very nice and the locals are very friendly

Looks like Montenegro TBF. Nice.

He is a great DM but he isn't going to dictate play against elite teams. It’s hard to get those type of players but I feel it’s what we lack, a Carrick, Modric, Jorginho because we are great on the front foot but when under pressure you need ball players who are ultra press resistant and smart in distribution. That would probably take us over the line in terms of being favourites in any game even against Italy and the like.
Rice is really coming on as a player, was a fairly average DM now a good good player. Progressing forwards, box to box and a few goals.

Potter and Dyche are the only two I can imagine taking it at this stage in their career, happy with either.

The way I see it; Potter would be the least suited as he'd need more access to his players to truly do his thing.

Yeah, but you can't just invent those players.

Between Rice and Phillips we're OK there - not great, maybe other teams are stronger in that area - but very decent.

Yeah, it'd be awesome to drop a 29-year-old Hoddle or a nationalised Modric in there for some games but then again, for others...
Rice and Bellingham is the risky but obvious paring. I'm scared of using Germany as a guide to quality but post WC need to give a run of games.

Back
Top Bottom