***England V Czech Rep 22/06/2021***

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Boring.....

From about the 20th minute we've been slow, dull, lacking any intensity and showing no ambition.

Just a total borefest

Comentators desperate to push the positive performance narrative
I mean, we were winning, Czech knew they were going through, we've got bigger fish to fry in next round so I get what Southgate did....but I FUCKING HATED EVERY MINUTE OF THE 2ND HALF.

Southgate faultless so far in his selections and subs.
Jack needs to pace himself a bit better and Harry needs Jack.
You'll get a lot of shit for this as it's a brave post but from a certain perspective you're spot on.
Win the next 3 or 4 games 1 nil and we win and no one will ever give a shit. Seems like such a fucking waste of the talent we have.

Well that was a painful 2nd half! England were obviously playing in second gear and happy to see the game out at 1-0, and the Czechs didn't know how to break our quite impressive defense down. We'll need to be better now throughout the 90 minutes whoever we play in the last 16, but I do feel we have a big performance within us. The only other dissapointment was Kane not scoring again. I thought he was a certainty to after that first half but we sat back and didn't create anything.

Some good individual performances though. Maguire and Stones looked great. Schick didn't get a kick. Sterling, Grealish and Saka looked quality in the first half when we weren't playing well within ourselves. I thought Henderson played well when he came on too.

Rashford is useless at the moment. Complete waste of a sub.

Genuinely promise it doesn’t open to anything bad.
Season 9 No GIF by The Office

I think people are under-rating the Czech's a fair bit. They've beaten some good sides over the last year or two. I saw them play Belgium in a World Cup qualifier in March and they were much the better side in a 1-1 draw. We just beat them pretty comfortably without ever having to go up another gear. Not spectacular but certainly solid. Some people need to give their heads a bit of a wobble.
Thank fuck for that then because we won't play anyone as good as them next round.

Kane looks a bit lazy when he’s playing for England. He should be looking to get the ball and make things happen.

Careful mate.

I think he played alright to be fair. Looked desperate to score but wasn't as selfish as he sometimes is for us.

I think he will need to score for us to go beyond the last 16 but we are into the knockout phase and so far it's a zero so maybe I'm wrong.

Kane
Would have been nice to see this fabled extra gear exhibited in the last 3 games. If Gary thinks we can just switch it on when it's crunch time then we're on a hiding to disappointment

Well teams generally only go up a gear when they really need to. We didn't need to against Croatia or against these tonight. There's no getting away from the fact that it was a poor performance against Scotland but there aren't many teams in the competition that haven't had a dodgy game in the group stage. France have. Germany have. Portugal have. Spain have hardly shone...

I would have liked us to play at a higher tempo tonight in the second half, don't get me wrong. But at no point did I think we weren't not going to win the game. The players did enough. If this was an old Germany side everyone would be complimenting them on how efficient they are and that they will step it up when they really need to. Pretty sure our guys will know as much as you or I myself do that they'll now need to find an extra gear or two.

Last edited:
Kane

Well teams generally only go up a gear when they really need to. We didn't need to against Croatia or against these tonight. There's no getting away from the fact that it was a poor performance against Scotland but there aren't many teams in the competition that haven't had a dodgy game in the group stage. France have. Germany have. Portugal have. Spain have hardly shone...

I would have liked us to play at a higher tempo tonight in the second half, don't get me wrong. But at no point did I think we weren't not going to win the game. The players did enough. If this was an old Germany side everyone would be complimenting them on how efficient they are and that they will step it up when they really need to. Pretty sure our guys will know as much as you or I myself do that they'll now need to find an extra gear or two.

Again; I would like to have seen this gear whether it was outright needed or not..... Tonight ought to have been that night.

Point is a better finisher could have punished us in any of our games so far. Getting big bollocks about our defense and lack of chances conceded is very premature. A whole other level of threat awaits us

If, buts and maybe's. The facts are we haven't conceded a goal yet. Over the three games Pickford hasn't had more than a handful of saves to make. We obviously will concede at some point now we're facing the best sides, but that's so obvious that it's barely worth mentioning.

You can say the exact same thing about the Italian defense, the Spanish defense etc.

Why though? You only get 3 points whether you comfortably see out a 1-0 or expend more energy and perhaps win by 1 or 2 more if you're lucky.

We all want to see goals, but at no point did the Czech's really go for it in the second half as they know they would have perhaps got ripped a new arse-hole on the counter had they had tried to. We were happy enough with 1-0 and they seemed content to lose by one goal in the hope that they might scramble something from somewhere.

Why?

...Momentum.

....To prove to the lads that they do indeed have it in them.

...To send a message to other teams.

Did you hear Gary after the match? He said we went 3 in MF to ensure we didn't get over-run.... He evidently didn't think CZ had the handbrake on and posed little concern.

Back
Top Bottom