***England V Czech Rep 22/06/2021***

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We haven't been great. We've been functional but we've been in complete control of each game, even when the oppo has applied pressure and upped the tempo against us, more importantly, we've looked comfortable at the back when we've been pressed!! This has always been our issue and where we've lost games. Iceland is perhaps the most extreme, the moment they pressed us (which wasn't very often) we coughed up possession and looked extremely vulnerable. Even worse is that it affected our "game state", this undefinable presence that we can all feel as too do the players on either side.

Whilst Mings has defended just fine, his inability to join attacks with progressive line braking passes and bringing the ball out of defence is non-existent, Maguire and Stones both capable of doing this, which allows us to draw oppo onto us, step into midfield with the ball or as evidenced last night play some very incisive balls to advanced forwards or FB's pushed higher and staying wide creating space in oppo defence.

I get wanting to see a higher tempo game from us but screaming at the moon about having 2 DM's when we aren't playing 2 DM's is nonsense.

I want to see us play with a higher temp, press more and move the ball faster but aside from Kane the players are there to do that but why do that when you've already qualified, why expend all that energy and go into fatigue against a better side than us which is when you are going to need to do that, to empty yourself. If you go into a game already half-cooked what good is that, especially against better oppo? (Stones went off last night not because of injury but because of fatigue).

We've looked comfortably in every game, even against Scotland where we didn't look good (outplayed in midfield), but I disagree with the commentary around it in that I thought we completely deserved to win that game and were unlucky not to score from our chances we created, which were far bigger opportunities than Scotlands.

We absolutely do need to up our tempo and I'm hoping that we are able to do that in a game when it demands such.
What does Phillips offer as an 8? I'm not certain but for Leeds he plays as a 6, so in my mind he is competing with Rice for the 6 spot. We are essentially playing two dms but one is being used to roam around (Phillips) however I'd rather have someone else play that role, someone who offers more as an 8. That's why I couldn't believe Ward Prowse wasn't selected after a good season and he has the added advantage with his ability in dead ball situations. Can Grealish play in the 8 role? I just think against the better teams we are going to struggle with both Rice and Phillips in the same side

What does Phillips offer as an 8? I'm not certain but for Leeds he plays as a 6, so in my mind he is competing with Rice for the 6 spot. We are essentially playing two dms but one is being used to roam around (Phillips) however I'd rather have someone else play that role, someone who offers more as an 8. That's why I couldn't believe Ward Prowse wasn't selected after a good season and he has the added advantage with his ability in dead ball situations. Can Grealish play in the 8 role? I just think against the better teams we are going to struggle with both Rice and Phillips in the same side
have picked two players that play DM for their clubs doesn't mean they paly DM for England, that simply hasn't been the case in ANY of the games we've palyed.

As I stated during the game (half-time) yesterday to illustrate this, Rice played the holding role all on his own. Phillip's played as an RCB in a back three when we had the ball (or alternated this with Walker, so Walker would play RCB and Phillips would hold the width as RB, this is exactly how we managed to score!! Phillips on the touchline pulls them out towards him, creates the space behind for Saka to continue his run into. This is seriously good movement, very difficult for oppo to cover. I really liked it.

E4jKzaaVkAI2flE

Ward-Prowse is a brilliant freekick taker, wouldn't want him patrolling our midfield for all the tea in China! There might be a time when we will need him, depends who we'll be up against, suspect that if we need to go full Pullis and have Grealish and Kane draw fouls high up the pitch he would be perfect.

So against better teams (dependant on how much better and how they play) will determine how we use our Midfield. I just wish everyone would stop fucking obsessing about them, the way they've been used has been absolutely fine so far. (Scotland we lost the midfield but that was because the Scots overloaded it and we didn't support it with our FB's). The first game Phillips was MoTM and yesterday was really, really inventive in the first half and conventional in the second (before and after subs + played yet another formation different to 1st half), where they controlled the game.

How has James Ward-Prowse fooled so many people into thinking he is good?

He is very mediocre in open play, great at set pieces, but offers little outside of that. There is no way he should be close to this England team (or Spurs) England should not need to make their team much weaker just to shoe horn in a player to take set pieces.

How has James Ward-Prowse fooled so many people into thinking he is good?

He is very mediocre in open play, great at set pieces, but offers little outside of that. There is no way he should be close to this England team (or Spurs) England should not need to make their team much weaker just to shoe horn in a player to take set pieces.

He's no worse than Phillips ability wise, but also offers set-piece brilliance.

He's no worse than Phillips ability wise, but also offers set-piece brilliance.

I think he is a lot worse than Phillips both defensively and going forward. I think set pieces is the only thing he does better than Phillips and everything else is a big step down.

Back
Top Bottom