**** England v Hungary 19:45 12/10 *****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ultimately we were bang average on the night against a side that came with a game plan and a lot of determination. But it happens, even to the best sides. We didn't get beat, we didn't deserve to get beat, and I have no doubt we'll be better next month against Albania and we'll finish top of the group, which is all you can ask.

A lot of punditry taking last nights game in isolation, but:

Iceland 0 - England 1 NL
Denmark 0 - England 0 NL
England 0 - Denmark 1 NL
Belgium 2 - England 0 NL
England 2 - Poland 1 WCQ
England 1 - Austria 0 F
England 1 - Romania 0 F
England 0 - Scotland 0 EC
Italy 1 - England 1 EC (*)
Poland 1 - England 1 WCQ
England 1 - Hungary 1 WCF

Poor results and/or performances since Sept 2020.

(*Included the Euro's final cos Gary had a fucking 'mare!)

The midfield is still a problem though, finding the right balance. We seem to look a better and more balanced team with Phillips in it, even if it does make us look a bit on the defensive side. But for the love of God, please drop Mason Mount until he starts to find some of his old form. Tuchel has done it recently, Southgate needs to follow suite.

This.

Hear a lot last night about how #8 isn't his position... Fair enough, but he's not creative enough as a #10 in this set-up.... Not when you've got 2 x DMs behind him as it put a large percentage of the creative reponsibility on him.

Play Rice and Phillips as defensive midfield players and just allow Foden to roam as he pleases, and to be the one we look to make the difference in games. I don't want to see him in our own half.

Well that's one option...... He has many.

Worryingly Gary also said last night that Grealish can ONLY play LW...... He has some really worrying takes on things..... TAA as a DM or #8 (whichever the intention was... completely neuters his main strength - his crossing - either way!)..... 5RBs ("I'd take more if I could")..... Completely inconsistent attitude when it comes to form vs reputation.... Playing players that weren't in the EC squad in the pre-tourney warm-ups.

3-0 England
Ha Ha Reaction GIF by WWE

A lot of punditry taking last nights game in isolation, but:

Iceland 0 - England 1 NL
Denmark 0 - England 0 NL
England 0 - Denmark 1 NL
Belgium 2 - England 0 NL
England 2 - Poland 1 WCQ
England 1 - Austria 0 F
England 1 - Romania 0 F
England 0 - Scotland 0 EC
Italy 1 - England 1 EC (*)
Poland 1 - England 1 WCQ
England 1 - Hungary 1 WCF

Poor results and/or performances since Sept 2020.

(*Included the Euro's final cos Gary had a fucking 'mare!)

This.

Hear a lot last night about how #8 isn't his position... Fair enough, but he's not creative enough as a #10 in this set-up.... Not when you've got 2 x DMs behind him as it put a large percentage of the creative reponsibility on him.

Well that's one option...... He has many.

Worryingly Gary also said last night that Grealish can ONLY play LW...... He has some really worrying takes on things..... TAA as a DM or #8 (whichever the intention was... completely neuters his main strength - his crossing - either way!)..... 5RBs ("I'd take more if I could")..... Completely inconsistent attitude when it comes to form vs reputation.... Playing players that weren't in the EC squad in the pre-tourney warm-ups.

I think it's easy to see that we don't score enough goals, certainly not when you consider the players we have, under him and that performances often leave something to be desired. But he has made us incredibly tough to beat and that's no simple thing considering we're not exactly blessed now with world-class defenders that we've generally always had.

It's a tough one because I can't imagine any manager doing a better job than him result wise. And the way he's got the group looking like they actually enjoy playing for their country and with each other is a credit to him. But then he also somehow makes one of the most exciting group of young players in Europe look anything but.

I think it's easy to see that we don't score enough goals, certainly not when you consider the players we have, under him and that performances often leave something to be desired. But he has made us incredibly tough to beat and that's no simple thing considering we're not exactly blessed now with world-class defenders that we've generally always had.

It's a tough one because I can't imagine any manager doing a better job than him result wise. And the way he's got the group looking like they actually enjoy playing for their country and with each other is a credit to him. But then he also somehow makes one of the most exciting group of young players in Europe look anything but.

My take isn't directly linked to a lack of goals per say...... Obv. goals win games, but they also paper over cracks. The wins I listed could jut have easily been draws or worse.

On the flip-side you can win 1-0 and have actually battered the oppo.... I don't think that describes a single match in that list however.

I do take your point about the 'vibe' amongst the squad and FWIW I think Gary is probably a nice guy to play for at international level as it's probably a break from the intensity many of them are subjected to by their club managers.

My take isn't directly linked to a lack of goals per say...... Obv. goals win games, but they also paper over cracks. The wins I listed could jut have easily been draws or worse.

On the flip-side you can win 1-0 and have actually battered the oppo.... I don't think that describes a single match in that list however.

I do take your point about the 'vibe' amongst the squad and FWIW I think Gary is probably a nice guy to play for at international level as it's probably a break from the intensity many of them are subjected to by their club managers.

We certainly make hard work of many of our wins. But on the flipside, we rarely get battered. Croatia beat us by one goal in the World Cup semi-final. And they had a superb team then. Italy only beat us on penalties recently. All good sides are built from the back and need a good defense and I suppose you can only say that England have that under Southgate. Now he needs to get us going more at the other end of the pitch. Whether he's capable of that remains to be seen, but obviously there are some major doubts.

We certainly make hard work of many of our wins. But on the flipside, we rarely get battered. Croatia beat us by one goal in the World Cup semi-final. And they had a superb team then. Italy only beat us on penalties recently. All good sides are built from the back and need a good defense and I suppose you can only say that England have that under Southgate. Now he needs to get us going more at the other end of the pitch. Whether he's capable of that remains to be seen, but obviously there are some major doubts.

Sadly I think this is as good as it gets and that Gary is at his managerial ceiling.

Mourinho called him Gary instead of Gareth in one of his typically passive aggressive moments when with us.

To be fair it was a response to Gary himself getting a bit chippy about something or another (presumably regarding selection/rest of our players).

Giving it Mr Big Bollocks when it comes to Spurs, but Man Utd have Gary wrapped around their little finger regarding Greenwood and anyone else Ole wants to protect.

England to play behind closed doors because of trouble at the Euros

1 x UEFA game (1st Nat. League group game) and 1 match suspended.

Take it on the chin and move on.... The real punishment comes in the form of the dent it makes in our chances of hosting a tournament any time soon.

Apparently we had a good shout at 2030, now Spain/Portugal seems more lilkely. :(

Once again, the football authorities have bottled it. England's 'punishment' is a joke, as are all 'punishments' meted out by these tosspots.

At least they're consistently crap at their job.

Once again, the football authorities have bottled it. England's 'punishment' is a joke, as are all 'punishments' meted out by these tosspots.

At least they're consistently crap at their job.

UEFA themselves have a culpability alongside the FA & the old bill....... They were never gonna punish us too severely; inevitably it's just been treated as a matter of fan-disorder when (without making excuses for anyone) the bigger crime was it was poor organisation/control/policing which left 10s of thousands of innocent punters in danger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom