****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the evening of Argentina Italia ended the love story between Italy and Maradona at that point identified only with Napoli. All of Italy cheering for Germany.
The elimination on penalties was a collective drama with Baggio who had done magic. USA 94 was the same fate. Sacchi preached football as a team but the star was Baggio who took the cross and carried it for everyone.
1990-1994-1998 was a great national team but they didn't win anything but always remained on top.
Serie A in the 90's was the strongest league in Europe so i always expected Italy to be strong in tournaments. So many great players in that era.

If anything i thought the 2006 World Cup winning squad was slightly weaker than the squad from the 90's. What do you think?

The team of Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Donadoni, Vialli, Mancini that should really have won the tournament in 90.

Used to support lazio when gascoigne went to italy. Player i liked for lazio was guiseppe signori. Had an unsual and unique style for taking penalties. Cracking show football italia on channel 4 back in the day.
Aye, that was some time to watch serie A. And Signori was a deadly penalty taken. He could strike a freekick as well

Rumours around claiming Shaw spent the whole tournament playing with broken ribs.......

Broken ribs are hellish.... Gotta be bullshit, right?

I'm still in shock that we managed to make a final despite getting next to nothing out of Foden and Mount. If they both played to what they are capable of and show for their club every week we'd have walked this Euro's.

I'm still in shock that we managed to make a final despite getting next to nothing out of Foden and Mount. If they both played to what they are capable of and show for their club every week we'd have walked this Euro's.
England really have great potential and when you lose on penalties it means that the difference was in the details.
To make you understand: the 2016 European Championship Spain-Italy 4-0 final was basically a sentence.

Down to Gary imv

I just thought he sounded like a douche rather than a wise giver of knowledge tbh...

I guess it comes down to whether you believe he did that in order to benefit the kids, or in order to have a funny story to brag about on whatever platform it was. If the former then you have more faith in the average social media stranger than I do.
On reflection your take is probably more accurate than mine

I think Southgate will get the World Cup and he could do well. However long term with Bellingham to come through as well in the Modric role, we will have Foden, Bellingham, Sancho, Grealish, Saka, Kane, Sterling, Greenwood as a centre and attack, another ‘’golden generation’’.

Except Kane that is probably another 5-7 tournaments post World Cup. We cannot waste such attacking talent. Even a Wenger or perhaps an Eddie Howe who have knowledge of modern attacking football patterns would be fine.
Modern attacking football patterns.

I wonder how long it will be before the
2-3-5 formation will be heralded as the next new age formation

Eh? They 'lost (Technically the game was drawn) on penalties. If Rashfords kick is two inches inside the post what would UEFA technical report accuse Italy of? Sounds like a right waste if paper.

Back
Top Bottom