****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

9695-DA99-AF09-4-E57-A5-DE-465305961402.jpg

DEF65886-EC44-4-DFE-9-F01-469077570-E73.jpg

Sterling can walk faster than this mug can run.

Italy to sit back and i think england will struggle to break them down
Italy good on counter
For the first 30 mins I think both teams will be very cautious and sit back

Any mistakes will be punished

We can’t play too deep like we did occasionally last night

I'm not sure Southgate will be tempted to freshen things up considering we will have had one day's less rest than the Italians, or whether he'll be loyal to the side that got us to the final. I've said before, what I like about this squad is that you can genuinely make 3, 4 or 5 changes all over the park and we wouldn't be weakened. Testament to this is Ben Chilwell, who's a fine left-back and hasn't even kicked a ball this tournament, and the likes of Reece James and Marcus Rashford barely featuring.

I'm not Southgate. And in Southgate we trust. But I'm sure he must be tempted to make one or two changes. I'm also 100% positive we'll go back to 5 at the back for this game. I'd like to see something like -

Pickford

Trippier
Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Foden
Sterling
Kane

Foden can drift centrally to offer us more strength in midfield against what is a very good Italy midfield. Keep things tight. Then we have players like Sancho, Saka and Rashford who can come on if and when needed against hopefully tiring Italy defenders. It shouldn't be forgotten that Bonucci is 34 and Chiellini 36. Between them they have the combined age of fucking Mr. Miyagi.

I think it will be a great match with a lot of factors to consider. Mancini has lost some thrust on the left: we don't have another Spinazzola. However, he found confirmation in the Church that at the beginning of the European Championship he had been overtaken by Berardi. Unfortunately we don't have a Kane in front but you don't have a Donnarumma in the door. Midfield and defense against Spain suffered as L. Enrique removed reference points in front. Italy will try to play like against Belgium with Verratti and Jorginho more brilliant. Bonucci and Chiellini will try to stop Kane and great attention will be paid to Sterling, in my opinion the most unpredictable player.
You're quite wrong there. I've had loads of Donnarummas in the door and I'd bet there isn't a bloke on here who hasn't.

I'm not sure Southgate will be tempted to freshen things up considering we will have had one day's less rest than the Italians, or whether he'll be loyal to the side that got us to the final. I've said before, what I like about this squad is that you can genuinely make 3, 4 or 5 changes all over the park and we wouldn't be weakened. Testament to this is Ben Chilwell, who's a fine left-back and hasn't even kicked a ball this tournament, and the likes of Reece James and Marcus Rashford barely featuring.

I'm not Southgate. And in Southgate we trust. But I'm sure he must be tempted to make one or two changes. I'm also 100% positive we'll go back to 5 at the back for this game. I'd like to see something like -

Pickford

Trippier
Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Foden
Sterling
Kane

Foden can drift centrally to offer us more strength in midfield against what is a very good Italy midfield. Keep things tight. Then we have players like Sancho, Saka and Rashford who can come on if and when needed against hopefully tiring Italy defenders. It shouldn't be forgotten that Bonucci is 34 and Chiellini 36. Between them they have the combined age of fucking Mr. Miyagi.
I honestly cannot see him bringing Foden in from the start, especially at the cost of Saka who has been really good. I'm also not sure that Foden has shown enough brains to play at this level just yet. Clearly a talented player but I'd keep faith with the team that has got us this far.

E5wzrs8WUAIlVo0

England has managed 10 goals at Euros and every one of them has been scored from closer than 12 yards out. Had Harry Kane been able to convert the penalty against Denmark, it would have been England's longest-range goal at the tournament so far.

Only comment about England I've made during Euros on here is people needed to calm down after the Scotland match it was fine. Didn't say that predicting they would reach the finals just that they were looking much better than people were really suggesting.

So for the finals, there's only one way they win this. Direct, dribbling at the Italian defense. The Italians will be happy to play in their own half all match and just work the counter, not groundbreaking info but it's easy to get sucked into their traps. They conserve energy and play at their own pace. Their trick is getting teams to match their pace it seems and it just seems to work so often.

So, pretty much same team, id probably play Foden or Sancho instead of Saka though. Think his inexperience will play into the hands of the Italians. He wasn't great against Denmark either.

They need to play a very direct, attacking based football IMO rather than the very cautious passing side to side. It has unlocked weaker teams but the Italians are built for defending and will sit back all game watching the ball passed from side to side with not a care in the world.

Give them the ball more, which is what will happen if you play direct football. Run at them in midfield, you will lose the ball more often but the Italians will use more energy on the ball than off it is my thinking.

Strength of England's squad gives them the edge. I think the Italian's will look the better team for 60-70 minutes, score draw after 90 minutes, and England to win in ET.

I honestly cannot see him bringing Foden in from the start, especially at the cost of Saka who has been really good. I'm also not sure that Foden has shown enough brains to play at this level just yet. Clearly a talented player but I'd keep faith with the team that has got us this far.

He was one of our brightest players against Croatia, and has barely featured since then. If he can perform regularly for City he certainly can for us. Southgate does love to have pace both sides of Kane though so you're right, Sancho or Saka will more than likely start. Perhaps Saka as he's a bit better defensively than Sancho and more intelligent with his game, though not as skillful.

So, an Italy/England team combined. Let's call it Engaly. It would look something like this?

Donnarumma

Walker
Maguire
Chiellini
Shaw (Spinazzola obviously injured)

Barella
Verratti
Mount

Sterling
Chiesa
Kane

Henderson and Grealish in for me. I like Rice, but a bit naive for the wily Italians and Saka....I also like but I feel like Grealish is more rounded. Saka is like a less refined Sterling for me.

Henderson adds another invaluable captain on the field. More vocal and central than Harry as well.

Pickford

Trippier
Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Phillips

Grealish
Sterling
Kane

Rice and Sancho on at 65+

Italy will press early to George Grahm it with a 1-0. I wouldn't start Saka. And I think Grealish with his passing is pivotal to break through their ranks.
Also, Shaw does provide width up front, but he leaves his flank too open for wide runs. Chiesa could party there.

We need to concentrate on pressing Jorginho. He's a fine player when given time but I've seen him look awful for Chelsea when teams get in his face and don't give him time to get his head up. He can be turned into a liability for them almost.

We can definitely win this game.

Loads of respect for the Italians, but I think we edge it in quality/end product.

Fantastic to have lived up to our promise at last, one more game!

We can definitely win this game.

Loads of respect for the Italians, but I think we edge it in quality/end product.

Fantastic to have lived up to our promise at last, one more game!

They have a better overall keeper and more quality in midfield, certainly technically, but everywhere else I think we're a touch stronger. I certainly think we have a better bench than they do, and hopefully that can be the difference.

Get Sterling and Saka (or Sancho/Rashford) running at there two fossil centre-backs. As good and intelligent as they both are, they can't handle pace if it's used correctly.

Back
Top Bottom