****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always felt Mount would take a good peno yet he stayed on for like 100+ minutes doing not much and came off when he would actually have been useful? Also how is it setup that a kid like Saka is taking the 5th peno? where's Sterling and Phillips and Stones?

I'm afraid to say some of these men have shit themselves, letting the kids step up while they stand back praying it doesn't go to sudden death.

So proud of the lads and Southgate.

But I can't help but question some of Southgate’s decisions this evening. He could of had the game tied up over 90 minutes with the correct substitutions, something he's managed so well the last few weeks. I really can't get my head around why he made the Sancho Rashford and Grealish move so late.

Especially when they have had fuck all minutes between them over the entire tournament, and to have Rashford and Sancho take penalties?

It was piss poor player management. Something he's more than often got spot on.

Gutted.
One second you’re saying how proud of Southgate you are then the rest of your post you spend slagging him off!!

Make your mind up ffs

Tonight was like watching the Portuguese twat that managed us last year, not interested in scoring more, just wanting to defend a lead.
We all knew what was coming, just like with Spurs.
Southgate this is on you tonight

I always felt Mount would take a good peno yet he stayed on for like 100+ minutes doing not much and came off when he would actually have been useful? Also how is it setup that a kid like Saka is taking the 5th peno? where's Sterling and Phillips and Stones?

I'm afraid to say some of these men have shit themselves, letting the kids step up while they stand back praying it doesn't go to sudden death.
Yeah, not having a go at Saka (I certainly put his Woolwich credentials aside this summer to get behind him) but watching a kid that young walking to the spot you could just feel it was gonna get saved. The penalty takers in that 2018 Colombia game seemed to have more experienced heads.

Fuck, I just want to go into the parallel universe where Rashford doesn't cock up his overcomplicated penalty. 3 converted with an advantage, who knows how that would pan out.

I said it earlier I've got no real animostiy towards Mason Mount even though he's a Chelski player but he's consistently dropped 5/10 performances every time he's started and offered an almost non-existent attacking threat which is amplified when you play 3-4-3 yet he was left on as our attacking play was suffocating...I was screaming for Grealish from about the 50th minute yet Mount stayed on and on and on doing nothing put control the odd ball pumped forward.

We’d been hearing a lot about all the hours of practice for penalties. Penalties is a mans job. Centre half’s like Harry Maguire and Bonucci don’t take many, but both are made of the right stuff and I had no doubts that both would score. Jordan Henderson I’d have fancied to score one too but went off just before end of extra time.

I find it a questionable enough strategy that a 19 year old kid is taking the 5th and decisive penalty and two players who came on about a minute before the end of extra time and their first kick of the night is a penalty.

Always it's everyone else's fault. Italy player Kane very well but he had to do even more.

It's the simple metric.

I thought he had conquered the slight inhibition. Not quite.

Am I being harsh? I think not.
Are you an iron? A question I would have thought.
But then is it?
Gadzooks, nay.

I have never been on a team where we went into a knockout match and the penalty takers weren't preselected (probably at least first 8). Now occasionally one changes due to injury, an unexpected sub, or someone pulling out, but the players don't just randomly decide this after 120 minutes. Grealish, Stones, or whoever didn't kick because they weren't selected.

Anyway one else feel like they will never see their team win a trophy again?

Fed Up Reaction GIF

I'm 100% certain I could be devoting this energy somewhere else in my life where its more useful

I still think we need more balance in midfield.

Southgate is to be commended for putting together a really functional side. It's key is the two busy fuckers, Philips and Rice, that basically shield everything. But there's no zip from them to the front 3.

That Italy side were there to be beaten tonight. Don't get me wrong, good side. But no great shakes, especially as we were at home.

Back
Top Bottom