England vs Belgium [Nations League] 5pm 11/10/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Same old shit... What's the point in playing well in a friendly if you then just get dropped the next game?

i.e. Coady, Grealish, Saka.

Gary will - like all England managers - cling to the same old players like a security blanket and then struggle to integrate new players as necessary once the tournaments come around.
Like all managers, ever.

??

BBMstudio.jpg

?
Reminds me of this game I used to play.

Nah, not all....

Not saying it's exclusive to us but it's a long-term issue exhibited by a succession of England managers.
In Sweden too. It's fucking much harder to play yourself out of the national team than in. You have to be retried for a couple of years before you stop being called to the national team. Not to speak about Norway (Lagerbäck, the old Swedish and Islandic coach). I wouldn't be surprised if Håland and Ödegård is still considered to get a shot on the bench.

I really enjoyed that, watching as usual with my United mate from the next village. We had beers, I made some snacks (cheese puffs that didn't puff, were rather sad and flat, a good metaphor for our first half).

Thought we were very good second half, the players who'd been poor in the first really upped their game - Walker (MotM for me), Trips, Rice, Mount...

I absolutely love games against (just) better opponents where you have a poor first half, sort some things out at half time that shut down all the danger you'd just faced and get stronger and more threatening and then win. Its a classic football script.

Same old shit... What's the point in playing well in a friendly if you then just get dropped the next game?

i.e. Coady, Grealish, Saka.

Gary will - like all England managers - cling to the same old players like a security blanket and then struggle to integrate new players as necessary once the tournaments come around.
Southgate's the best England manager since Robson.

We played a conservative team today because, well, Belgium are the world Nº1. I really like how he explains his selections and how he saw the game, it explains things really well to us laymen and women. With the changes he made at half time - pressing higher, some key instructions to Walker and Trips, we ran the second half

Southgate's the best England manager since Robson.

I guess that's it's own debate, but El Tel immediately sprang to mind.

We played a conservative team today because, well, Belgium are the world Nº1. I really like how he explains his selections and how he saw the game, it explains things really well to us laymen and women. With the changes he made at half time - pressing higher, some key instructions to Walker and Trips, we ran the second half

Across my prior posts in this thread I'm sure I've expressed a whole host of criticism, so I won't repeat myself, but suffice to say Belgium could have been out of sight within the first half hour... And that's with them playing with a makeshift defense and without the Hazard brothers & Mertens. Meanwhile we played the same 532 system against Wales and suffered a similar struggle in the first half (albeit against less attacking quality).

I guess that's it's own debate, but El Tel immediately sprang to mind.

Across my prior posts in this thread I'm sure I've expressed a whole host of criticism, so I won't repeat myself, but suffice to say Belgium could have been out of sight within the first half hour... And that's with them playing with a makeshift defense and without the Hazard brothers & Mertens. Meanwhile we played the same 532 system against Wales and suffered a similar struggle in the first half (albeit against less attacking quality).
And won

Sure... Let's hope we get more soft penalties and deflections in the crunch Euros games too.... Regrettably we're usually shit out of luck on those occasions though. In the meantime, I don't think it's wise we get too comfy about sacrificing 1/3 of each game though... (Anyway, isn't it fair game to assess the performance and circumstances of the win to some degree?)

How Martinez and Southgate are managing England and Belgium are beyond me, probably the worse manager among top selection in a long time. That's two generations of very good players that will win nothing at all.

Do people say shit just to say it??

Southgate has been absolutely brilliant since taking over. Semi final of a world Cup, topping a nations league group that had Croatia and Spain in it, currently topping a group that has Belgium in it.

He literally can't do any better with those misfit centre halves he has available to him.

Do people say shit just to say it??

Southgate has been absolutely brilliant since taking over. Semi final of a world Cup, topping a nations league group that had Croatia and Spain in it, currently topping a group that has Belgium in it.

He literally can't do any better with those misfit centre halves he has available to him.
nobody really gives a fuck...zzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom