England vs Croatia

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I managed to watch most of the Croatia game in their narrow loss to Belgium and they look a very slow, plodding sort of side. Technically really good, good on the ball, as you would expect with players like Modric, Kovacic and Perisic. But I think pace and movement kills them. We have both in abundance if used correctly.

They are genuinely one of the slowest sides all over the park I've seen for a long time.
It's been like that for 3 years now.

We all hope it will change at the Euro', but I'm really worried.

It's been like that for 3 years now.

We all hope it will change at the Euro', but I'm really worried.

To be fair when you're technically as good as you are, you get away with the lack of pace to an extent. But you would certainly be a better side with some pace in it in a couple of key positions.

--------------Pickford---------------
James-Maguire-Stones-Chilwell
-------------Rice--Bellingham------
Sancho-------Foden-------Grealish
-----------------Kane------------------

Of course, he won't play this as it's too obviously brilliant and he'll want to shoehorn in Henderson for reasons unknown.

Watched Croatia play Belgium.

Croatia kept the ball really well. I think England may have to play on the break can't see them dominating possession.

England don't need to dominate possession. England's strengths in the team are pace, energy and the ability to run with the ball. You're never going to be able to control a game from first minute to last when a side has the likes of Modric and Kovacic, so you let them have the ball at times but make sure it's not in areas where they can really hurt you.

Croatia are technically great but are a very slow and methodical team. They won't like players running at them so that's why we need to be brave and actually attack them, without going gung-ho. We should be able to run them off the park to an extent as we have far more legs and pace in our side, if the right 11 is chosen. Trying to keep possession too much is just playing them at their own game and is what they would want.

--------------Pickford---------------
James-Maguire-Stones-Chilwell
-------------Rice--Bellingham------
Sancho-------Foden-------Grealish
-----------------Kane------------------

Of course, he won't play this as it's too obviously brilliant and he'll want to shoehorn in Henderson for reasons unknown.

That's a good team, though I would go for Sterling over Sancho. He doesn't deserve it based on form but Sterling can click into gear at any moment.

No chance Southgate will ever be that brave and bold though.

Pickford

james stones white shaw

rice Bellingham

mount foden Grealish

kane

Excellent team on paper, but I think it lacks pace going forward.

To me Foden and Grealish are just too similar in many aspects. Not saying they couldn't play together. But I think Sterling's genuine pace adds a lot to the team. Neither Foden or Grealish are going to run in behind like a Sterling or Rashford when Kane inevitably drops deep.

Excellent team on paper, but I think it lacks pace going forward.

To me Foden and Grealish are just too similar in many aspects. Not saying they couldn't play together. But I think Sterling's genuine pace adds a lot to the team. Neither Foden or Grealish are going to run in behind like a Sterling or Rashford when Kane inevitably drops deep.
Yeah that’s the team id play but I can see Sterling playing over Grealish, almost certainly

Henderson

Walker
White
Mings
Shaw

Phillips
Henderson
Bellingham

Sancho
Rashford
Calvert-Lewin

I'd consider that an England second 11 from the players in the squad, and I think that would beat a fair few teams there, so it shows some depth to the squad. No side would look forward to coming up against that front three in-particular.

I have a feeling we'll see Sterling and Rashford start on Sunday and both Grealish and Foden will be on the bench. That would be so Gareth Southgate.
Croatia should be more susceptible to pace than most of the teams we face, so that may be his thinking.

Rashford Kane Sterling is after all tried and tested and allows Kane to drop and play those nice passes in behind (just as he does for Son).

I'd probably still play Grealish over Rashford, but it's not a disaster if he's used off the bench.

Croatia should be more susceptible to pace than most of the teams we face, so that may be his thinking.

Rashford Kane Sterling is after all tried and tested and allows Kane to drop and play those nice passes in behind (just as he does for Son).

I'd probably still play Grealish over Rashford, but it's not a disaster if he's used off the bench.

For me you have to start one of Foden or Grealish. They're both too good and offer something different to be benched at the same time. I'm all for having some pace in the side up top but for me it's Sterling or Rashford, and then one from the two mentioned. I'd go Sterling myself just because of his movement.

We might start like never before with Rebic as CF

Livakovic - Barisic, Caleta-Car, Vida, Vrsaljko -Kovacic, Modric, Brozovic - Perisic, Vlasic - Rebic

Although I want Gvardiol as left back, but he probably won't start, even though the kid is absolute best what we got and he isn't even a LB, he' a CB.

Back
Top Bottom