England vs Croatia

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yeh as I said people are straight haters. I don't mind a difference of opinion but when it's fueled from hatred with no substance then there's really no point even debating.

People pre game cried and moaned about his selection and we just bossed Croatia with the players people were moaning about as the stand out players (Trippier, Mings and Phillips).

Trippier was alright but how was he a stand out player? He did a job, and the one free kick he had he didn't get over the wall.

Southgate played Phillips as the advanced playmaker and Trippier as the left back. Phillips created the goal and Trippier was faultless.

Imagine Guardiola or some random italian/spainish coach did that? cum shots galore on here.

Kane was quiet but as others have said he was double marked. In theory that means other attackers have more space so while he didn’t do much just being on the pitch affected the game.

Peak Eden Hazard was this. He sometimes got triple marked to stop him which meant Chelsea could run riot on the other side. Even Zaha has this effect to a degree. Some players scare other managers so much that they either mark heavy or risk it. Kane does this as well it seems.

Trippier was alright but how was he a stand out player? He did a job, and the one free kick he had he didn't get over the wall.
Trippier was solid but nothing stand out. He was however, better than his counterpart Walker. Which is where the clear criticism to start Walker at RB and Tripper at LB can easily be justified. You can't allow a 1-0 win over Croatia to stop you having any criticism of odd/poor selections.

We would have won with Shaw and Chilwell too, and probably would have even been that little bit more comfortable. It's unforgiveable for me when both Shaw and Chilwell have been in such good form.
No. we wouldn't. Tripps was Modric-esque today. And I am not exaggerating.
Well, maybe an itsy-bitsy bit.

What also gives me hope today is that two of our better players, Kane and Mount, were ordinary, and we didn't get Foden on the ball anything like as much as we should have done so there's much more to come from him too. Kane won't be that ineffective against Scotland or the Czech's.

Who would have thought Phillips and Mings would be among our best two players before a ball was kicked today?!
I thought Mount was really good, especially without the ball, his pressing was fantastic, he won the ball back 3 or 4 times high up the pitch on the counter-press, he stopped the supply to their most dangerous part of their team their midfield.

I thought Mount was really good, especially without the ball, his pressing was fantastic, he won the ball back 3 or 4 times high up the pitch on the counter-press, he stopped the supply to their most dangerous part of their team their midfield.

Yeah, a lot of his best work came off the ball today. I would have liked him on it more, and Foden too, but there's more to come and I'm more than happy to take what we got from today.

Trippier hasn't played at LB all season for Madrid so what does Gareth do. Absolutely absurd with 2 perfectly solid LBs raring to go.
It worked today. Must not lose game, narrowed the pitch etc and squeezed their strong midfield

if parrot face tries similar attritional tactics vs fucking Scotland, get Levy to sack him at half time on behalf of the Queen

Yeah, a lot of his best work came off the ball today. I would have liked him on it more, and Foden too, but there's more to come and I'm more than happy to take what we got from today.
Always does

Mount is class but at his best when running off the ball

I thought Bellingham gave a cracking little cameo in his brief time on the pitch. Threw his body around, made tackles, and clearly has ability on the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a man of the match sort of performance at some point in this tournament that makes everybody sit up and take notice of his ability.

Bold of GS to bring on Jude. Not sure what he told him to do but he started very close to Modric but that didn't last long. Luka had too much of the ball in the last minutes for my liking.
But we won and it was a pretty comfortable win.

Back
Top Bottom