England vs. Germany June 29th 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Moments come and those with doubts are silenced.

Tomorrow offers Kane (but more importantly England) the opportunity to put to bed those like me who question his standing as one of the world's very best strikers.

It is simply too easy to trot out numbers without looking at the context, so tomorrow, in a game that many will call evenly matched, Kane as captain and top-rated striker should be a key difference.

He has it in him I have no question but can he find it when it matters? For me that has been a resounding no to date.

Cometh that hour we shall see...

Last edited:
Getting exciting now. There's a house near me with so many England flags outside I thought it was a branch of Sports Direct.

The house behind mine has a St George that flys 365 days a year; it's SO big that it would put Wembley stadium to shame....

I think they're worried they may get home from work one day and forget what country they live in.

I dunno if it’s just me, but I’m not swept away on this tide. I think it’ll be the same old story. We have the better squad on paper but we’ve got a chump as a manager and they’ve got the ball scratching Eric who will outfox Gary. The whole farce over at N17 is taking up more of my thoughts.
Am at my place up north for a few days so have got the St George’s flying and having a bit of a do (which I am looking forward to) but I just see us fucking this up again and then the grim reality that we are almost pre season and in a total mess at the Lane

Saturday 8pm kick off if we get through the Germans, that could be some session.

I think we can do it although a lot will be on the team selection, would like to see Grealish and Saka starting again. 2-0 Eng.

I dunno if it’s just me, but I’m not swept away on this tide. I think it’ll be the same old story. We have the better squad on paper but we’ve got a chump as a manager and they’ve got the ball scratching Eric who will outfox Gary. The whole farce over at N17 is taking up more of my thoughts.
Am at my place up north for a few days so have got the St George’s flying and having a bit of a do (which I am looking forward to) but I just see us fucking this up again and then the grim reality that we are almost pre season and in a total mess at the Lane

I don't like Southgate's style, and his cautious first approach doesn't go well with the fact our talent within the squad is largely in forward areas. But he's no numpty. Beating Croatia is never easy, and we've just seen that the Czech's are obviously a very decent team themselves in eliminating the Netherlands. We beat both pretty comfortably without ever playing really well. Even going back to the last World Cup, where we were fortunate with the draw it has to be said, we beat Sweden comfortably who we had a rotten record against prior to that game.

While his style of play can be questioned to an extent, I don't see him as this tactically naive, poor manager that some seem to. I think overall he's done a really good job for England, and it will get even better if we go through tomorrow.

I go through waves of optimism...... But we've been let down and given a lesson so many times before by the top teams.... Germany, Portugal, Italy....... So many times we've been at least 50:50 to win and we seem to always be on the losing side.

I just can't see what's changed this time that makes me think that this will be anything other than Germany progressing.

Heart says 3-1 England

Head says 2-1 Germany

Southgate is going down the General Melchett approach of keep doing the same tactic over and over and over, then they will never expect us to do it again

My money is on Grealish and Sako dropped , Foden and Mount back in , rest as was

I go through waves of optimism...... But we've been let down and given a lesson so many times before by the top teams.... Germany, Portugal, Italy....... So many times we've been at least 50:50 to win and we seem to always be on the losing side.

I just can't see what's changed this time that makes me think that this will be anything other than Germany progressing.

Heart says 3-1 England

Head says 2-1 Germany

I think for the first time in a long time we have a team as good as they do. Partly to do with them not being quite as strong as they have been.

The first goal tomorrow will be absolutely massive. If we score early and Wembley gets behind us I can see us doing something. We have the pace to really hurt them if the right players and tactics are selected/used. Go 1 down and I'll fear the worst. It literally could be anything. I wouldn't be too surprised if England put in their best performance for a while and win comfortably in regards to the scoreline. But also wouldn't be at all surprised it Germany soak up a bit of pressure at times and teach us a lesson on the counter, and we lose 0-3.

Gnabry's pace and Muller's movement and intelligence worry me a lot up against Stones and Maguire/Mings. Even Werner.

And thats the type of cheap nazi trick they would try as well

Said in a classic Captain Mainwaring voice
Don't mention the war!

hqdefault.jpg

Southgate is going down the General Melchett approach of keep doing the same tactic over and over and over, then they will never expect us to do it again

My money is on Grealish and Sako dropped , Foden and Mount back in , rest as was
But he also shouted a lot!

Especially if you kill his pigeon!

:mourpoint:

I am more worried about south gates insistence that he does not tell his team to sit back......where have I heard that before!

I don't get the hate for the Germans, would rather them than the Dutch ( who are as bad us for still dining out on past teams) or the fickle French who only turn up when their teams are winning. on their day they have always been a side I enjoyed watching and until recently they have that will to win. Of course they will be called every name under the sun from 5pm tomorrow and I think we will beat them.

Back
Top Bottom