England vs. Germany June 29th 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was moaning about Phillips in the 1st half but he was outstanding in the 2nd half and that was with him carrying a yellow card.
Right now he is not good enough to take advantage of the great positions he gets into but I can see him developing into a top, top player.

We’re work horses. Every one of those players can run all night (barring shaw lol) it’s a team effort rather than individual brilliance/players like we’ve relied on in the past. Coupled with a world class defence

i was wrong about England. We are playing like World Cup winners of the past play defensive and win games

What a night. Just unbelievable, one that will a long time in the memory after all these years of bottling it against the big sides in a tournament.

There's a rare spirit and genuine togetherness with this group of young players - just look at France to see how invaluable this can be. The confidence a win like this will give us is just enormous. Best performance of the tournament so far and Kane got a goal which is huge.

Hard to pick anybody that didn't play well - nights like these are what football is about.

Got to take it one game at a time but the belief this will give us is huge. Defensively we look really solid and still think we've got another gear or two to go through yet.

Can't knock Southgate one bit - he got it right again and has the players 100% behind him.

What a night. Just unbelievable, one that will a long time in the memory after all these years of bottling it against the big sides in a tournament.

There's a rare spirit and genuine togetherness with this group of young players - just look at France to see how invaluable this can be. The confidence a win like this will give us is just enormous. Best performance of the tournament so far and Kane got a goal which is huge.

Hard to pick anybody that didn't play well - nights like these are what football is about.

Got to take it one game at a time but the belief this will give us is huge. Defensively we look really solid and still think we've got another gear or two to go through yet.

Can't knock Southgate one bit - he got it right again and has the players 100% behind him.
I thought and might have said it last month. I think the taking the knee controversy with Billy big boots politicians and knuckle draggers chipping at them has worked wonders. I genuinely think its bonded a disperate club based culture together. This win was very cold controlled and un England like. Credit Southgate I didn't fancy that midfield and with the exception of Saka fir 20 mins I feared I was right then we got hold if the game and really punted the Germans. Bravo boys impressed.

I watched the game with my BF, and he was all calm and didn't say a lot, just made the odd pertinent remark, whereas I was cursing at the telly, much like I do when watching Spurs.
Not the greatest game in the first half, I still don't understand why Southgate plays Rice and Phillips together. Thought the pace of the game really picked up when Grealish came on, and thought England deserved the win at the end. I'm not going to get carried away just yet, but the rate the players of Ukraine and Sweden are hitting the deck in their game, England should make the SF at least.

I thought and might have said it last month. I think the taking the knee controversy with Billy big boots politicians and knuckle draggers chipping at them has worked wonders. I genuinely think its bonded a disperate club based culture together. This win was very cold controlled and un England like. Credit Southgate I didn't fancy that midfield and with the exception of Saka fir 20 mins I feared I was right then we got hold if the game and really punted the Germans. Bravo boys impressed.
You might be right. I think massive credit has to go to the manager and his staff for helping to create that spirit as well. It seems like he has bought some pride back to representing your country for the players and has given the fans something to be proud of tonight.

In terms of the tactics, you can't argue with it when we win 2-0 really. I'm pretty sure you'll see a different side again in the next couple of games and another, more creative midfielder in there but Saka and Sterling were brilliant tonight and Rice and Phillips worked their knackers off.

We'll have more of the game against the Ukraine, so imagine Grealish would do well, but equally Mount and Foden aren't bad options if he picks them. Can't remember an England squad with such genuine competition for places.

England kind of ground away the way they tend to do under Southgate, and they probably deserved the win, this was possibly the worst team and performance I've seen from Germany at a tournament since das reboot.

The good news is Grealish got an actual assist, which should add about 150m to his 500m valuation based on him being the greatest player the world has ever seen, meaning he will definitely be well outside our fiscal reach and I won't have to watch the fucking wankhorn ever play for us.

Only 57 pages for England Germany? I could not watch the game as I was working.
However, I did not think we had the mental strength and self belief to overrcome the Germans so I am pleasantly surprised. If we can beat Germany our nemesis we can beat anyone.
We have just got to tap into the spirit of Agincourt, Waterloo and Dunkirk, because let's face it, the last few years the England team have been spineless losers.

Alan Smith - 'Chief Football Writer'.

Only gave Pickford a 7 and Shaw a 6. I would suggest he didn't watch the game.
Did Shaw even put a foot wrong? He shut down Germany’s wingback on his side and created or setup both goals.

English pundits and journos are a bunch of weirdos when it comes to England.

Back
Top Bottom