England vs Italy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought your stance on previous games was that having more possession did not make one team 'better'.

:sonpoint:

It depends on what you do with that possession. Germany had 70% of the ball but Pickford made one decent save all game. England didn't do a lot with it against Italy to be fair but at least hit the bar and missed an open goal. But take away the possession and the stats hardly suggest a game where Italy outplayed us. They were decent for half an hour and then just defended for the point.

We didn't though, did we? 12 shots to their 8, 4 on target to their 3, two corners each. England had more possession (60%) and a considerably better passing accuracy.

But if you keep telling yourself something that's not true I'm sure you'll actually start to believe that it is.

Possession matters now? I thought it was irrelevant the other day.

The truth is I barely remember the game. Why? Because no England games are memorable unless it's a tournament victory. And then you don't even remember the performance, just the result. Dull, lifeless, soulless team.

Possession matters now? I thought it was irrelevant the other day.

The truth is I barely remember the game. Why? Because no England games are memorable unless it's a tournament victory. And then you don't even remember the performance, just the result. Dull, lifeless, soulless team.

Yeah but Italy didn't out-play us though, no matter what you thought of the game. They created a few chances up against a back four which included Maguire, so exactly what you would expect.

Yeah but Italy didn't out-play us though, no matter what you thought of the game. They created a few chances up against a back four which included Maguire, so exactly what you would expect.

Our back four is gonna include Maguire in the World Cup, so we may as well get used to that. Southgate in his eternal wisdom thinks he's undroppable regardless of club form.

My recollection is that Italy created more chances overall, but we created the two biggest ones with Sterling missing an open goal and the Mount chance. But they had a good handful of solid half chances of their own.

Our back four is gonna include Maguire in the World Cup, so we may as well get used to that. Southgate in his eternal wisdom thinks he's undroppable regardless of club form.

My recollection is that Italy created more chances overall, but we created the two biggest ones with Sterling missing an open goal and the Mount chance. But they had a good handful of solid half chances of their own.

They were better in the first half, we were better in the second. Simple as that really. They played the better attacking football overall but we all know we're so much more solid when we play with a back 5, as we no doubt will in the World Cup.

Just pointing out facts. I wouldn't really care if Southgate walked today. But some people (not saying you are one of those) will do anything to give England as little credit as possible no matter what they do.

Who are these people that seem to have your ire up?

.........I don't see anyone here of that description.

My work here is done. Enjoy the conversation lads.

:adethumbup:

Leaving Get Up GIF by Amuse

Who ware these people that seem to have your ire up?

.........I don't see anyone here of that description.

There's loads on the likes of Facebook and YouTube. I get it if they are bitter Scottish, Irish (the saltiest nation ever) or Welsh. But when English people are spouting the same nonsense it gets a bit ridiculous.

At the end of the day we've been a bit under par for three games but have still only lost one of those games while trying new things, with new personnel, and with some extremely physically and mentally knackered players. It's hardly a crisis.

There's loads on the likes of Facebook and YouTube.

Perhaps take it up with them then.

You seem to be taking those opinons out on the people posting in this thread.

Water off duck's back; but you've taken such shots at myself and a few others since the Germany game.

All I ask from the Hungary game is an open play goal. A nicely crafted one. Maybe a few passes strung together before said goal.

A bit of I dunno .. football.

All I ask from the Hungary game is an open play goal. A nicely crafted one. Maybe a few passes strung together before said goal.

A bit of I dunno .. football.

Had Mount not hit the bar when it was easier to score you would have got exactly that against Italy.

Had Mount not hit the bar when it was easier to score you would have got exactly that against Italy.

First time shot from just past the edge of the box vs a giant goalkeeper was easier to score than it was to miss? You might be slightly over-exaggerating there.

But regardless, the ball going in the goal bit is quite an important part of it. I mean James put in a worldie of the ball but Sterling gonna Sterling..

First time shot from just past the edge of the box vs a giant goalkeeper was easier to score than it was to miss? You might be slightly over-exaggerating there.

But regardless, the ball going in the goal bit is quite an important part of it. I mean James put in a worldie of the ball but Sterling gonna Sterling..

He had all the goal to aim for from as far out as the penalty spot against a keeper that barely moved. For Chelsea he slots that away 8 or 9 times out of 10. For England, maybe once out of 10.

What facts?
You're not pointing out any facts. You're just saying whatever you want to try to convince yourself and others that England aren't boring and won't win anything. You've convinced yourself that fluking our wa to a semi and a final and falling down as soon as a well organised team turns up somehow makes us contenders.
you've convinced yourself that all of the above makes the wet blanket in charge somehow good at what he does despite there being no evidence he does anything. How do you know that with a coach that has a plan, this squad couldn't actually be the next Spain and win back to back tournaments?

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. But you can only beat what's in front of you and I know for sure that England teams of the past wouldn't have made the Euro's final or the World Cup semi-final a couple of years before that.

Being difficult to beat and not conceding many is a great starting point for any top side. England have to be more ruthless in front of goal but I'd be far more worried if we weren't creating chances in games. We created a bundle against Germany and missed a couple of sitters against Italy. I expect us to beat Hungary tomorrow. If we then beat Germany at home, which we're certainly capable of, we'll travel to Italy where the winner of that game probably takes top spot. But Hungary are a decent side and we have to deal with them first, so we shall see.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. But you can only beat what's in front of you and I know for sure that England teams of the past wouldn't have made the Euro's final or the World Cup semi-final a couple of years before that.

Being difficult to beat and not conceding many is a great starting point for any top side. England have to be more ruthless in front of goal but I'd be far more worried if we weren't creating chances in games. We created a bundle against Germany and missed a couple of sitters against Italy. I expect us to beat Hungary tomorrow. If we then beat Germany at home, which we're certainly capable of, we'll travel to Italy where the winner of that game probably takes top spot. But Hungary are a decent side and we have to deal with them first, so we shall see.

You really do live in a twighlight zone as far as that Germany game goes.......

Team looks a lot better tonight. No Trippier, who's cack at left-back. Surely Walker can't be quite as bad unless it's James who's playing there. Bellingham and Gallagher in midfield. NO MASON MOUNT! Despite being poor in the last couple of games I would probably have still gone for Sterling over Saka as he's due a goal. Overall Ican't complain too much though.

Fancy a comfortable 2-0 win tonight to lift a bit of the doom and gloom. Kane to grab his 51st England goal.

Team looks a lot better tonight. No Trippier, who's cack at left-back. Surely Walker can't be quite as bad unless it's James who's playing there. Bellingham and Gallagher in midfield. NO MASON MOUNT! Despite being poor in the last couple of games I would probably have still gone for Sterling over Saka as he's due a goal. Overall Ican't complain too much though.

Fancy a comfortable 2-0 win tonight to lift a bit of the doom and gloom. Kane to grab his 51st England goal.
NO SLABHEAD!!!

Team looks a lot better tonight. No Trippier, who's cack at left-back. Surely Walker can't be quite as bad unless it's James who's playing there. Bellingham and Gallagher in midfield. NO MASON MOUNT! Despite being poor in the last couple of games I would probably have still gone for Sterling over Saka as he's due a goal. Overall Ican't complain too much though.​

Just seen the teamsheet.....

Not sure we will, but I'd like to see it as a 532:

Ramsdale
Walker / Stones / Geuhi
James / Bellingham / Phillips / Gallagher / Saka
Kane / Bowen​

Back
Top Bottom