England vs. Ukraine July 3rd 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Grealish needs to play to get the best out of Kane, he is the only one who has provided any kind of service to him! I just hope the team doesn't get complacent and think its an easy win just because of the oppo!

Agreed and I think we have had that moment in this tournament already v Scotland. No complacency at all going forward.

I'm not sure we were complacent against Scotland. Perhaps to a small extent. But on the day you have to say that they played well, well above themselves, and we never got going. Had that early Stones header gone in it probably would have been a much different game, but if's, buts and maybe's...

If we lost against Ukraine I think it will simply be a case of us playing poorly on he night, or Ukraine playing a blinder. I really don't think it would be because we turned up thinking the game was already won. And that's a credit to Southgate and our players that I don't worry about that being a possibility.

The last 20 years of England vs Ukraine:

10 Sep 2013: Ukraine 0-0 England – World Cup qualifying
11 Sep 2012: England 1-1 Ukraine – World Cup qualifying (Lampard) (Konoplyanka)
19 Jun 2012: England 1-0 Ukraine – Euro 2012 (Rooney)
10 Oct 2009: Ukraine 1-0 England – World Cup qualifying (Nazarenko)
01 Apr 2009: England 2-1 Ukraine – World Cup qualifying (Crouch. Terry) (Shevchenko)
18 Aug 2004: England 3-0 Ukraine – Friendly (Beckham, Owen, Wright-Phillips)
31 May 2000: England 2-0 Ukraine – Friendly (Fowler, Adams)

The last 20 years of England vs Ukraine:

10 Sep 2013: Ukraine 0-0 England – World Cup qualifying
11 Sep 2012: England 1-1 Ukraine – World Cup qualifying (Lampard) (Konoplyanka)
19 Jun 2012: England 1-0 Ukraine – Euro 2012 (Rooney)
10 Oct 2009: Ukraine 1-0 England – World Cup qualifying (Nazarenko)
01 Apr 2009: England 2-1 Ukraine – World Cup qualifying (Crouch. Terry) (Shevchenko)
18 Aug 2004: England 3-0 Ukraine – Friendly (Beckham, Owen, Wright-Phillips)
31 May 2000: England 2-0 Ukraine – Friendly (Fowler, Adams)
Ukraine are anything but a walk over and this match won't be easy at all, we are rightly favourites, but if we underestimate them we will go out.

This England team is nowhere near as stupid as that England team was under Hodgson. Have a much better mentality and team spirit. England lost that game because they thought it was won before a ball was kicked, but were soon surprised by how tenacious and organized Iceland actually were. And then spent most of the game in a haze not knowing what to do.

But in football just about anything can happen.
It's also worth noting that only Walker, Kane and Sterling played in that match..... If anything, that experience should benefit them going forward.

What I'd like to see.

--------------Pickford--------------
Walker-Maguire-Stones-Shaw
-----------Rice----Mount---------
Sterling-----Foden-----Grealish
----------------Kane----------------

What I'd like to see.

--------------Pickford--------------
Walker-Maguire-Stones-Shaw
-----------Rice----Mount---------
Sterling-----Foden-----Grealish
----------------Kane----------------
I'd put Grealish in the middle with Foden outside but otherwise yeah, a more attacking outlook for Ukraine....or any team tbh

I'd go 4-3-3 again but wouldn't go too attacking against Ukraine, just because we can. Stay compact and difficult to beat - We should still have enough in the side to score a couple at least.

Expecting Southgate to pick;

Pickford
Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
Rice Philips
Sterling Mount Saka
Kane

Yellow cards are wiped after the Quarter Finals, so I don't see him changing the midfield 2 based on that like has been suggested.

Personally I would try to find a place for Trippier be it over Shaw or Walker because his set piece and crossing delivery are possibly the best England have seen since Beckham. We have several dominant aerial players that ought to be utilised in a game we can expect a defensive setup from a side that have conceded 6 goals in 4 games so far. So probably would pick Trippier over Walker keeping him fresher for Denmark/Czech should we get that far - where I would see more benefits from Walkers pace going forwards and in defence.

Grealish is a great player but I don't think he has any right to start ahead of Sterling or Saka right now, and in the middle I just think Mount is a more rounded, reliable, capable player.

I think they looked absolutly shattered at the end of their game against the swedes, i mean more so thatn other teams this tournament.
That may play in our favour

If we don't score early we can just keep it tight knowing that as the game goes on, we can kill them with our subs. The likes of Grealish and Rashford etc.

If this wasn't a Quarter I'd be convinced we'd beat them by 2 or 3 if we play well.

You are deluded. We will leave it at that.
Shocked Jane The Virgin GIF

Should be a good game to watch - Ukraine will come forward and open up the space behind

I also think Foden should start

Back
Top Bottom