ERADICATE TO ACCUMULATE:

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Calling someone a sasquatch of misinformation is abhorrent? What I think is abhorrent is CJJ seems to think we have around 30 professional footballers on the books at Spurs.
:paulinhofacepalm:

And to presume to get rid of poor players automatically means they do not get replaced by other HG players or some horseshit is just being purposely obtuse.

Even if that is what he actually believed verbatim, you've had far more ridiculous and "obtuse" ideas on here be treated with far more decency and respect in the responses than you afforded CJ with this one. Your behavior on this discussion is inexcusable, and no one will take it seriously if your point is delivered in such a manner. If you continue to argue this, you will only be digging yourself a deeper hole, so I suggest you drop it and discuss the real topic at hand in an appropriate manner.

Don't let the media convinces us otherwise, Townsend is more of a youth player than seasoned pro, and I think there's positives to take from his season so far to make him worth keeping.

A: He's going to be 23 next month. Hardly youth.
B: The media have never claimed he's a seasoned pro.
C: Can you list the positives? Last time I checked he was 2nd in the prem for most shots at goal with the lowest scoring %. Did not make a single prem assist. Got a new contract in Oct and has not improved. Has a worse heading rate than Lennon who is the shortest player in the prem.

Even if that is what he actually believed verbatim, you've had far more ridiculous and "obtuse" ideas on here be treated with far more decency and respect in the responses than you afforded CJ with this one. Your behavior on this discussion is inexcusable, and no one will take it seriously if your point is delivered in such a manner. If you continue to argue this, you will only be digging yourself a deeper hole, so I suggest you drop it and discuss the real topic at hand in an appropriate manner.

Why is it inexcusable of me to point out that CJJ is spreading misinformation? Listing old out of date squad as if that is our only pool of players to build a new one for next season? We are not limited to the players he is mentioning.

A: He's going to be 23 next month. Hardly youth.
B: The media have never claimed he's a seasoned pro.
C: Can you list the positives? Last time I checked he was 2nd in the prem for most shots at goal with the lowest scoring %. Did not make a single prem assist. Got a new contract in Oct and has not improved. Has a worse heading rate than Lennon who is the shortest player in the prem.

He has had 1 full premiership season, that is all. In terms of his development he is a "young" player.
He is quick, bold, skillfull and strong. He is good on his weaker foot. He is a club man. He has a massive amount of potential, and isnt yet at the point where he looks like he will fail to reach it.

Personally, under a coach who actually develops players, Im VERY excited to see what he can do this season. I think he could well become a real stand out player for us.

That is not to say I wasnt ultimately disappointed with what he delivered last season.

I suspect the new contract was to ward off the threat we could lose him, considering the potential he had shown and the attention he gained in breaking into the England set up. Pretty standard procedure, IMO, and not indicative of an expectation he will suddenly become a better player over night.

He has had 1 full premiership season, that is all. In terms of his development he is a "young" player.
He is quick, bold, skillfull and strong. He is good on his weaker foot. He is a club man. He has a massive amount of potential, and isnt yet at the point where he looks like he will fail to reach it.

Personally, under a coach who actually develops players, Im VERY excited to see what he can do this season. I think he could well become a real stand out player for us.

That is not to say I wasnt ultimately disappointed with what he delivered last season.

I suspect the new contract was to ward off the threat we could lose him, considering the potential he had shown and the attention he gained in breaking into the England set up. Pretty standard procedure, IMO, and not indicative of an expectation he will suddenly become a better player over night.

IMO he is about as classic an example a player who can't learn/undo a decade of head down, poor technique in crossing and shooting etc. It's too much work for our coaches for too little return IMO. I can't think of another attacking player who helped us NOT get 4th more than him. His attacking stats are utterly diabolical and could have helped ruin Soldado's career. IMO he is a resource hog, and a danger to the other players form around him. He can't possibly be any worse next season, but thats no reason to persists with this style of player.

We need to up the mental tempo of the team.

Why is it inexcusable of me to point out that CJJ is spreading misinformation? Listing old out of date squad as if that is our only pool of players to build a new one for next season? We are not limited to the players he is mentioning.

You know good n well it's not your information I take issue with here, it was your manner of response and delivery.

IMO he is about as classic an example a player who can't learn/undo a decade of head down, poor technique in crossing and shooting etc. It's too much work for our coaches for too little return IMO. I can't think of another attacking player who helped us NOT get 4th more than him. His attacking stats are utterly diabolical and could have helped ruin Soldado's career. IMO he is a resource hog, and a danger to the other players form around him. He can't possibly be any worse next season, but thats no reason to persists with this style of player.

If you've played this game, you'll know that a player didn't get to his level off the back of becoming "stupid" overnight and forgetting how to shoot. I've shared the field with some incredible players in time, some of them have even gone on to play professionally in Europe, but none of them will ever even dream of seeing a scout from the English Premier League. There must be an underlying cause for his performances this season, and suddenly becoming "stupid" is a highly unlikely one.

You might well be right, ultimately, but at this point Im not willing to make that conclusion.

I do agree, mentally is where he is lacking right now. However, I still think he can be taught.

Pochettino is known for working with players, and for getting them to operate within his system. Id love to see what he can do with Townsend, because if he can get into his head I think he could turn out to be a hell of a player.

And, honestly, as he will be working within a fairly defined system of play, he need not even be that intelligent - just learn to follow cues. When you hit this position/scenario - do this. If this happens - do that...

A lot of his problem last season was a lack of meaningful structure in attack, people just stopping and not moving. He seemed to feel he had to take everything on himself like he had to win the game on his own. So often he ended up running across the box and firing a hit and hope purely because there were no other real options. Of course he did this plenty when there were options as well, but you see what I mean.

If you've played this game, you'll know that a player didn't get to his level off the back of becoming "stupid" overnight and forgetting how to shoot. I've shared the field with some incredible players in time, some of them have even gone on to play professionally in Europe, but none of them will ever even dream of seeing a scout from the English Premier League. There must be an underlying cause for his performances this season, and suddenly becoming "stupid" is a highly unlikely one.

What does you playing football have to do with Townsend being one of the worst players of the season?

I think we are the 10th club he's had a chance of showing the potential at. IMO it would have blossomed by now.

I think he went from club to better club all the way up to the premiership where he impressed sufficiently to be given a shot in our first team squad. Our first team squad being one aiming for CL. Some might call that a certain amount of blossoming.

You might well be right, ultimately, but at this point Im not willing to make that conclusion.

I do agree, mentally is where he is lacking right now. However, I still think he can be taught.

Pochettino is known for working with players, and for getting them to operate within his system. Id love to see what he can do with Townsend, because if he can get into his head I think he could turn out to be a hell of a player.

And, honestly, as he will be working within a fairly defined system of play, he need not even be that intelligent - just learn to follow cues. When you hit this position/scenario - do this. If this happens - do that...

A lot of his problem last season was a lack of meaningful structure in attack, people just stopping and not moving. He seemed to feel he had to take everything on himself like he had to win the game on his own. So often he ended up running across the box and firing a hit and hope purely because there were no other real options. Of course he did this plenty when there were options as well, but you see what I mean.

Well this sums things up quite nicely per my issues with Gibbs, as I've nicely mentioned these same points almost exactly paraphrased to him in the past (albeit pre-Poch to use a specific coach as an example) and he's argued with it while giving you a "like." :rolleyes: What an interesting bloke, indeed.

The rumours are that he is gonna be a make-weight in an attempt to get Lallana in? If these rumours have any credence, then I,d be more than happy to see Townsend go. Sure he can run with the ball and his left food is as good as his right when shooting. He misses with both!

But his positional play and first touch are only average imo and other than dropping his shoulder, he dose not posses a trick or two. Any decent defense can work a player like Townsend out and nullify him.

15 mill + Townsend I,d hope would see us capture Adam Lallana.

COYS!!

What does you playing football have to do with Townsend being one of the worst players of the season?

Your abstracted connections made by failure to connect obvious dots are always amusing. But nonetheless, evidence that you're hopeless to discuss these things with.

Back
Top Bottom