Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He grew up in Portugal. He had few or zero attachments to English culture growing up in Portugal; it's not surprising he considers himself more Portugese than English.
Yes not surprising, just interesting what we learn about people. His childhood would have therefore been immersed in local popular culture. The growing years are so crucial, absorbing so much.

How many times do you see them never turn their body when receiving the ball? He just doesn’t have the hips to play in a CM role in the hardest league.
Drives me nuts to see this basic football skill but particularly important MF skill not employed by our players. I think Dier has turned into the press so much that he is like a young QB that's gotten sacked too much and now has happy feet. He won't be fixing this trait. But most supporters don't even know it's a thing with Dier. Which is why they are as surprised as he is when he gets picked off. And no, he doesn't have the hips.

Mourinho likes him, but he can’t be the vision for the long haul
Take issue here though. Mou kept putting a clearly past it Matic out there. He does like his old and loyal players even if they are creaking.

I think it is necessary to say that he is not a DM for a title challenging team. How many times do you see Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kante, Ndidi make one touch passes that are missing by 3-5 yards. How many times do you see them never turn their body when receiving the ball? He just doesn’t have the hips to play in a CM role in the hardest league.
All those guys you mention are in a different class to Dier - in fact maybe we should be trying to recruit Leicester's scouts!

But I think he'll do a job, he's tactically disciplined, and one area he can add real value is as a leader on and off the pitch. No reason he can't get back to 2015-16 form.

As for Ndombele, he's not a pure DM, he's more likely to replace Winks alongside Dier.

Drives me nuts to see this basic football skill but particularly important MF skill not employed by our players. I think Dier has turned into the press so much that he is like a young QB that's gotten sacked too much and now has happy feet. He won't be fixing this trait. But most supporters don't even know it's a thing with Dier. Which is why they are as surprised as he is when he gets picked off. And no, he doesn't have the hips.

Happy feet sound like hours of fun, but nah, you lost me..... :bentley:

Take issue here though. Mou kept putting a clearly past it Matic out there. He does like his old and loyal players even if they are creaking.
'QB sacked' 'hasn't got the hips' the fighting cock changed.
:roseunsure:

Poor old Eric must have lead boots

Hope he turns it round

Is it just me or was he actually a lot more mobile when he was playing in DM a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a Kante type midfielder or anything but he seemed to be able to move and react a lot quicker and not get caught out so much. Now he seems a lot slower and can't seem to get close to smaller nippy attackers. Winks actually does a much better job of getting his foot in than Dier. Hopefully he turns it around.

Is it just me or was he actually a lot more mobile when he was playing in DM a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a Kante type midfielder or anything but he seemed to be able to move and react a lot quicker and not get caught out so much. Now he seems a lot slower and can't seem to get close to smaller nippy attackers. Winks actually does a much better job of getting his foot in than Dier. Hopefully he turns it around.

IMO he was physically smaller and all he had to do was a square pass to Dembele who would work his magic.

Perhaps he just grew into his forehead.

I trust Jose will know what to do with him eventually.

Back
Top Bottom