Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier has always been a centerback, and this whole experiment at CDM has never been more than a narcissistic wank-dream by him. He's in danger of getting himself sold to Bournemouth or whatever if he does not wake up and remember who he is as a player. Pretty sure it's already over for him...

Other clubs do not have chairmen so deeply involved with the day to day of the sporting operation.

Plenty do tho.

I don't mean to make this into a Levy cunt-off, we have plenty of threads to do that elsewhere. My original point was wondering why Mourinho, who surely had a say in this, would be blind to the obvious problems with the squad generally and with Dier specifically.

It's all good.... I tend to take the view that he's a lifelong Spurs fan and that over the years he's proven (to some at least) that he'd rather work with a DOF. Yes for good or bad he's a shrewd mofo, but we've grown so much over his tenure.

As to your point about Jose.... I'd expect a twist or two in the tale.... If this is just Levy protecting an asset, I don't expect it to sway JM over what he wants longer term recruitment-wise (much like Sissoko's new deal and Poch before him).

Last edited:
Dier has always been a centerback, and this whole experiment at CDM has never been more than a narcissistic wank-dream by him. He's in danger of getting himself sold to Bournemouth or whatever if he does not wake up and remember who he is as a player. Pretty sure it's already over for him...
Not when you are on Jose's hard on list

Go on.....?

Levy views a strong DOF leading scouting and player recruitment and overall sporting philosophy as the ideal setup, and one that then allows managers to come and go, but retain a stable identity.

The Lyon of last decade as constructed by Levy's man crush Jean-Michel Aulas has always been his dream model.

But in practice, Levy's insistence and methods of personally negotiating deals just doesn't leave enough room for a DOF, nor does he have the patience to stand back and let them work. Plus, managers in England want more control and influence than is implied in that setup.

ENIC have done a lot right in their tenure, but they've never managed to create a stable and productive backroom leadership structure. And the one they have currently seems like a car crash just waiting to happen, but I guess we'll see.

Levy views a strong DOF leading scouting and player recruitment and overall sporting philosophy as the ideal setup, and one that then allows managers to come and go, but retain a stable identity.

The Lyon of last decade as constructed by Levy's man crush Jean-Michel Aulas has always been his dream model.

But in practice, Levy's insistence and methods of personally negotiating deals just doesn't leave enough room for a DOF, nor does he have the patience to stand back and let them work. Plus, managers in England want more control and influence than is implied in that setup.

ENIC have done a lot right in their tenure, but they've never managed to create a stable and productive backroom leadership structure. And the one they have currently seems like a car crash just waiting to happen, but I guess we'll see.

He seemed to be happy to let Baldini get on with it...

I don't recall Connolli complaining about meddling either.

We were reportedly in for [insert name] when we signed Jose too.... I'd hoped that would happen tbh, but my more immediate concern is about the extent of our scouting rather than who's doing the deals right now....

That side of things was more pressing whilst DL was preoccupied with the new stadium.

Levy is a business guy. Football people live and breathe the technical aspects of the game 24/7/365.

It's very much an English Jerry Jones situation, right down to the gleaming crown jewel of a stadium project that flatters a sporting operation seemingly unable to get out of its own way.

Hmm. Well you're right about him being a business guy, but a couple of my business associates have spent some time with him and they say he knows, lives and breathes Spurs - and cares deeply about both football and the club. You know otherwise or you just speculating?

Edit: Ok, no worries, I see you addressed some of this above w Airfixx - I agree, no need for us to get into an argument about it

Could it be possible that Jose wants Dier to play that way? It seems like most of the time he passes back to the CDs and / or FBs, our guys play the long ball or pass it quickly up the wings. Almost seems like he is drawing defenders in so our guys can pass into the open spaces. I could be trying too hard to make sense out of this, but I can’t imagine José would keep on throwing him out there if he kept doing the wrong things or making glaring mistakes.

Could it be possible that Jose wants Dier to play that way? It seems like most of the time he passes back to the CDs and / or FBs, our guys play the long ball or pass it quickly up the wings. Almost seems like he is drawing defenders in so our guys can pass into the open spaces. I could be trying too hard to make sense out of this, but I can’t imagine José would keep on throwing him out there if he kept doing the wrong things or making glaring mistakes.

Yep, Dier is carrying out Jose instructions to absolute perfections.
I guess thats why he has been subbed off once in 29th minute and once after half time- things were out-of-hand perfect!

Dier can play DM but having sissoko beside him who is not an efficient ball handler is dumb take lucas out play a 433 and have ndoembele or one of locelso or winks as the ball handlers and then he can drop deep with the defense then sissoko and lucas as impact subs.

They had 3 shots on target today. Aurier and Gazza at fault for the 2 goals and cannot remember the other one. We lost because of Aurier, Gazza and Son and not Dier or Sissoko. However hopefully we will see different players in the next match in CM.

I think you need to familiarise yourself with cause and effect.

We lost because we were outplayed, with and without the ball, and with their far superior control game, they created more pressure, from which came better opportunities and more dangerous situations. They had 55% of the ball. 13 shots to our 5. 3 on target to our 1. An x/g of 1.5 to our 0.28.

One of the major reasons they were so comprehensively superior and able to apply more pressure to us than we did them was because they were comprehensively better than us with and without the ball in midfield.

Back
Top Bottom