Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's a CB, plain and simple. He'll be great there, get him a new contract.
He is also a DM, let's not rewrite history on what he's done for this club.

What we are watching is a player that's now fit. The simple difference is to watch him closely now compared to last two seasons, he's on his toes, and I mean literally, it's quite easy to observe from dead-ball situations. A tiered or players struggling with fitness doesn't have this. It's the 5%'sh that's the difference to blocking a ball, getting a toe in before oppo or simply getting into a better body shape than your opposite number that enables you to win your individual duals.

Is he a better CB than CM absolutely, but here's hoping that Jose can also be smart with him tactically and use him as a DM if the situation allows. This was a major weapon for us not so long ago where we got transition between 3 and four at the back without having to make subs etc..

Final defence, I wish people would stop blaming him for the Pogba pen, that was a 4v2 in our favour, Pogba wouldn't have even attempted to dribble past him were our midfield doing their fucking jobs and backing him up as they should have done, it's very basic defending and they fell asleep on their heels ball watching.

His voice/accent changes every couple of years it seems.

Well Gotta say I have been saying for the past 2 years he's finished and that I don't want this guy anywhere near my team.
I'll happily eat my words because my God apart from the penalty he's been immesnse for Tottenham.
He's showed us everything Toby doesn't do anymore , actually get near to the player and win all his duels.
Fair play to him , i would go to overboard yet as he'll have more tough tests this season but if these sort of perofrmances continue , he's instantly first choice CB.

Like him at CB, definitely.

Commanding in the air (though not really seen him against any true target man yet), isn't slow from his position, reads the play well from centre back poor, good with both feet and has a diagonal ball in him.

It's quite reassuring that he's putting in these performances at left sided centre back too as he could well save us money on a Vertonghen replacement.

Probably saved his starting England career too.

Definitely prefer him at CB and has had two promising performances. Needs to push on now and hopefully stay fit and get a run of games. He still needs to cut out some lapses of concentration, the penalty v United and the chance Antonio ballooned over the bar after getting wrong side of him. But with games and confidence that should be fixed. Deserves some luck with illness/injury, had an awful time.

He is also a DM, let's not rewrite history on what he's done for this club.

What we are watching is a player that's now fit. The simple difference is to watch him closely now compared to last two seasons, he's on his toes, and I mean literally, it's quite easy to observe from dead-ball situations. A tiered or players struggling with fitness doesn't have this. It's the 5%'sh that's the difference to blocking a ball, getting a toe in before oppo or simply getting into a better body shape than your opposite number that enables you to win your individual duals.

Is he a better CB than CM absolutely, but here's hoping that Jose can also be smart with him tactically and use him as a DM if the situation allows. This was a major weapon for us not so long ago where we got transition between 3 and four at the back without having to make subs etc..

Final defence, I wish people would stop blaming him for the Pogba pen, that was a 4v2 in our favour, Pogba wouldn't have even attempted to dribble past him were our midfield doing their fucking jobs and backing him up as they should have done, it's very basic defending and they fell asleep on their heels ball watching.

His voice/accent changes every couple of years it seems.

This lad always seems like he is about to laugh. Love his attitude. I am very happy that he is healthy again. It is massive for us.

Poor lad's been cunted off proper for some time so pleased to see some plaudits beginning to come his way.

Who was that wally trying to mug me off for my avatar?
Can’t remember........anyway I’ll continue to wear it loud and proud as I always have.
Never has a picture been more apt as that one right now.

He looks so much better at the back. I feel like he's one of the players that will definitely have benefited from the break. He looks lighter on his feet, way more mobile. His passing looks better.

He and Sanchez have looked good together.

I'm hoping that this is the new normal we can expect from Dier, for his benefit and ours. He's been immense in both games.

That said, I feel like the reaction to two performances is enough to give someone whiplash. If we were voting on which player needed to move on, he would have been right near the top of the list. Now all of the sudden he needs to sign a new contract right away.

I welcome this Dier back and believe he has it in him to maintain this form. Even with a fairly long run of bad performances, he's been far more beneficial to Spurs than not. But I feel that we need to see how he continues to see if this is just a blip or not.

Yet our best ever season saw him play CB in 70% of the games.

How about we compromise; he showed enough positional sense and flexibility to switch between CB and DM at the drop of a hat and was key to our flexibity during the period when we were at our best. :)

How about we compromise; he showed enough positional sense and flexibility to switch between CB and DM at the drop of a hat and was key to our flexibity during the period when we were at our best. :)
To be fair we did have 1 midfielder with the strength of 10 men back then. Anyone who was next to dembele seemed to look like a world beater.

His versatility probably allowed him to have a career with us at this level I'd say, yeah.

Back
Top Bottom