Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I understand what Jose sees in him, the voice, leadership and passion. He gets stuck in and is one of our toughest competitors.

Problem is, he's technically not that good. Timing, positional play and speed all fall short for me.

Meanwhile, look at all Jose's mean as fuck winning CB pairings:

Porto
J Costa(c) - Carvalho
(R Costa on bench)

Chavs
Carvalho - Terry(c)
(Gallas on bench)

Inter
Lucio - Samuel
(Materazzi on bench)

Real Madrid
Ramos(c) - Pepe
(Carvalho on bench)

Fact is Dier wouldn't take a single place in those line ups. He can match them all for aggro, but some way short for talent. I can think of 10 CBs in the PL alone who are better than him, which should tell you everything. I kinda like him, but be real he’s not a PL or CL winning defender.

Edit: notice all the captains as well, maybe what Mourinho wants to mould Dier into...

Last edited:
Eric Dier has been excellent all season and is 1st choice for both Spurs and England.
He will start for England next Wednesday and against WHU on Sunday because he is an excellent CB.

Being first choice doesn't mean he's excellent nor does being 1st choice for England.

If he was excellent, he wouldn't have his doubters or cause a heart attack every game.

He's a nice guy, loves the club and is versatile but he should never be starting centre back for a club wanting to actually achieve anything. For the exact same reasons Harry Maguire shouldn't be starting centre back and first choice centre back for Man Utd and England. He's not particularly very good at it.

I keep giving Dier the benefit of the doubt - he keeps breaking my heart.

Lukaku started to run at him and I was hoping to see a real CB action in response - I was really like: "Come on, show me". And then he just made the worst possible decision and gave away a penalty. It's complicated.

That said, I think it was not realistic to expect perfect performances so soon. It's a process (becoming a CB). I'm still willing to give him a chance - even though he will probably break my heart again.

Last edited:
I keep giving Dier the benefit of the doubt - he keeps breaking my heart.

As soon as Lukaku started to run at him I was thinking "Come on, show me you are a CB now". And then he just made the worst possible decision and gave away a penalty. It's complicated.

That said, I think it was not realistic to expect perfect performances so soon. It's a process (becoming a CB). I'm still willing to give him a chance - even though he will probably break my heart again.

If he had stuck at being a centre back from when we signed him as a 20 year old and allowed him to grow and develop - perhaps he'd have been ready by now.

But the fact is, Pochettino didn't even trust him to be one, especially in a back four. He would either play him at RB or in a back three when it came to defence, especially after he upgraded on him and shunted him into DM instead.

So we're now stuck with someone who has been training a completely different skillset of defensive midfield, re-learning how to play as a centre back. Sure, it MAY come. But can we really afford to keep giving him opportunity after opportunity in the hope that it all clicks?

If he had stuck at being a centre back from when we signed him as a 20 year old and allowed him to grow and develop - perhaps he'd have been ready by now.

But the fact is, Pochettino didn't even trust him to be one, especially in a back four. He would either play him at RB or in a back three when it came to defence, especially after he upgraded on him and shunted him into DM instead.

So we're now stuck with someone who has been training a completely different skillset of defensive midfield, re-learning how to play as a centre back. Sure, it MAY come. But can we really afford to keep giving him opportunity after opportunity in the hope that it all clicks?
I completely understand your point.

First of all, he was given time do adapt to a new position just by saying he was ready to do it. Then he was given a new contract and a first team status - considering we didn't sign a CB, he basically became Vertonghen's replacement.

I'm just saying we shouldn't expect him to have "complete performances" as a CB just yet. It's a process - and Jose decided to bet on him, so he knew the risks. In my opinion, this could be his biggest mistake so far. But I prefer to keep my faith.

I like his heart but he does appear to be an accident waiting to happen. Can we really afford to have 2 centre halfs (Sanchez included) who can play well all match but then lose concentration and give away clumsy penalties. Yes he was very unlucky against Newcastle but an unhealthy pattern seems to be developing.

He's been at fault for 3 of the 5 goals we've conceded so far this season and we've only played 4 games!

Not only that but he was at fault for England against Belgium too. So in all comps for club and country. He's had a hand in 4 of the 8 goals conceded.

And that's me being polite and not blaming him for moving out of the way of Werners shot in the League Cup game.

That's too high a percentage for a starting centre back at a top club that wants to win something.

Your numbers don't stack up at all.

He does come up with a good performance here and then but we should definitely think about getting someone better.

I’m not a hater but I don’t like him very much either... he is playing much better than how he was a year ago though, how we managed to put up with his performance back then I don’t know.

Aurier was an accident waiting to happen but is not now. Foyth still is and hopefully will sort that out. As others have said he still has not had much playing time at CB in last 5 years and CB's play in pairs and he has got got that understanding yet. He is strong and clearly Mourinho sees something in him and I think we have to trust him for a bit longer.

Eric Dier has been excellent all season and is 1st choice for both Spurs and England.
He will start for England next Wednesday and against WHU on Sunday because he is an excellent CB.

200w.webp

Aurier was an accident waiting to happen but is not now. Foyth still is and hopefully will sort that out. As others have said he still has not had much playing time at CB in last 5 years and CB's play in pairs and he has got got that understanding yet. He is strong and clearly Mourinho sees something in him and I think we have to trust him for a bit longer.

Foyth is a gonner. He'll not be coming back to Spurs unless he utterly excels. Can you see it?

People are always blaming Sanchez and Aurier for not being reliable enough and error prone, but Dier alone probably cost us more goals than those two combined. Dier simply isn't a centre back.

Back
Top Bottom