Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier is what he is. Someone who will get stuck in and put his head where some players wouldn't put their feet, but against pacey, tricky players he will always struggle. I do think he's a little better as a centre-back than midfielder. He can't slow the game down so much as he does when he's playing that anchor role or defensive midfield role. It's a shame as for a year or so after he joined I thought he looked set to be one of the first names on the team-sheet for both club and country. He looked a quality player, someone with enough quality that it didn't really matter that roadkill moves quicker. But he stagnated a while back.

But at least he's not Harry Maguire.

Dier is like an inferior Michael Dawson to me.

Both will give there all and both are natural leaders. In terms of ability both are/were dodgy when defending against the pacier tricky players but were good against the more physical types. Dawson imo was a much better defender though overall and had less mistakes in him during his prime years.

Both will give there all and both are natural leaders. In terms of ability both are/were dodgy when defending against the pacier tricky players but were good against the more physical types. Dawson imo was a much better defender though overall and had less mistakes in him during his prime years.

Good comparison, and to be fair to Dier time is on his side he could still perform at a Michael Dawson level in his prime years, ie in years to come.

However the dilemma for us as Spurs fans is whether we are wanting to see Dier play his way into that performance level whilst making the usual mistakes or whether we push him down the pecking order because of his current ability and lack of trust that he will perform at a CL team level this season.

I suppose it doesn't matter what our consensus is, only that of Jose's. I would be a bit too twitchy on the trigger I think and would go for somebody more reliable in most games.

I know you described him as being inferior but I think it’s a real insult to Dawson to compare him to Dier to be honest, Dawson was very good.

I know you described him as being inferior but I think it’s a real insult to Dawson to compare him to Dier to be honest, Dawson was very good.

There's some serious revisionist history going on if people think Dawson is any better than Dier. Daws had many horrible matches and gave away many stupid penalties, vastly more than Dier. Also if people think Dier is slow then Dawson is absolutely glacial.

I loved Daws but Dier is better than him, Daws would not have a chance of playing in our current team. He was great for where we were back then, a team with Palacios, Bassong etc as frequent starters but there's a reason we let him go.

Ideally Dier would be our third choice centre-back. You're never going to get someone top class on the bench. He's the equivalent of Liverpool having Matip who is very decent backup to Van Dijk and Gomez. I think that's the one area we can still significantly improve, but there isn't a lot of good centre-backs around that are potentially available. Upamecano is about the best I can think of that would be realistic. I really like Connor Coady but he would cost silly money even if he would consider leaving Wolves, which he probably wouldn't seeing as he's captain. But even more so now he has caps and an England goal to his name in regards to cost.

Dawson near the end of his spurs career im talking about. He started making quite a few mistakes sadly.
As much loved footballing sage Alan Hanse once said "he has a head like a magnet".

There was a period when he got called up for England as well where he just won every aerial challenge. Playing alongside Ledley helped tho.

Dier is what he is. Someone who will get stuck in and put his head where some players wouldn't put their feet, but against pacey, tricky players he will always struggle. I do think he's a little better as a centre-back than midfielder. He can't slow the game down so much as he does when he's playing that anchor role or defensive midfield role. It's a shame as for a year or so after he joined I thought he looked set to be one of the first names on the team-sheet for both club and country. He looked a quality player, someone with enough quality that it didn't really matter that roadkill moves quicker. But he stagnated a while back.

But at least he's not Harry Maguire.
You just described Michael Dawson.
A lot of fans loved him but he was fucking useless when a team like Woolwich, who could pass the ball back then, tured up. Didn't know where the ball was, didn't know where the runners were, looked like a one legged pirate trying to stop his ship being invaded by 100 sailors.

Both are bad players and will be constant slated by the fans, like you or not. You wouldn't expected tô be glorified by the fans playing like they do.

No-one is asking for them to be glorified. Just irks a bit when our own fans slate them as you would expect opposition fans to.

Let's be clear...I'm not saying everyone should like every player...everyone is more than welcome to think they aren't good enough and want improvements. However, some of the vitriol on here, especially during match threads, is ridiculous at times.

I reckon he'll be completely fine come Sunday.

This is Mourinho at his finest in my opinion. Probably a compromise of giving us Winks and Dier back for allowing Kane to start.

Back
Top Bottom