Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No-one is asking for them to be glorified. Just irks a bit when our own fans slate them as you would expect opposition fans to.

Let's be clear...I'm not saying everyone should like every player...everyone is more than welcome to think they aren't good enough and want improvements. However, some of the vitriol on here, especially during match threads, is ridiculous at times.
I like them, but they are average players. Don't know what happen to Dier as he was very good in the beggining, now he seems to lack the athleticism to play football and are suffering the obvious problems of adapting to a new position. Winks is probably not good enough to be a starter but I would like him to stay at the club to slow down the tempo when we are winning the matches.

There's some serious revisionist history going on if people think Dawson is any better than Dier. Daws had many horrible matches and gave away many stupid penalties, vastly more than Dier. Also if people think Dier is slow then Dawson is absolutely glacial.

I loved Daws but Dier is better than him, Daws would not have a chance of playing in our current team. He was great for where we were back then, a team with Palacios, Bassong etc as frequent starters but there's a reason we let him go.
Totally agree. I loved Daws, he had a lot of heart, but he wouldn't get in this team and Dier is faster AND more solid than him overall. At the end, Daws had to go, even thought it was a sad day.

There's some serious revisionist history going on if people think Dawson is any better than Dier. Daws had many horrible matches and gave away many stupid penalties, vastly more than Dier. Also if people think Dier is slow then Dawson is absolutely glacial.

I loved Daws but Dier is better than him, Daws would not have a chance of playing in our current team. He was great for where we were back then, a team with Palacios, Bassong etc as frequent starters but there's a reason we let him go.
This thread has some really some creative writers

This thread has some really some creative writers

It sure does, for me it’s hard to forget Daws getting the run around in the two 5-1s and a 6-0 against City, a 5-0 against Liverpool, a couple of 5-2s against Woolwich, he was not able to handle playing a more modern style of football.

Great player for when we played 442/451 and our defence sat in front of the penalty box, before Liverpool and City became decent opponents. When we started to progress and play on the halfway line against teams that pressed high? He was a dead man walking.

Dire, just like Dele is painfully average footballer that benefited from playing next to great players like Dembele, Eriksen and Kane.

We should have cashed in for both in 2017/2018 for overinflated fees like Leicester did to Maguire and Chilwell or Palace with Wan Bisaka.

Dire, just like Dele is painfully average footballer that benefited from playing next to great players like Dembele, Eriksen and Kane.

We should have cashed in for both in 2017/2018 for overinflated fees like Leicester did to Maguire and Chilwell or Palace with Wan Bisaka.
Watching England last night and Maguire being sent off. After being totally embarassed by us the week before and thinking "every Leicester fan alive must be killing themselves laughing"
£80,000,000
Eighty. Million.

The reason I can't see us moving Dier on though is the only person I know of that wanted to buy him was Mourinho :dierno:

Dier would've ballsed it up for us in a different way - a totally new and unheard of way that I can't imagine yet, but as always with spurs, we will definitely see it at some point this season.

I'm putting all my eggs in the basket labelled "Tanganga & Rodon".

Dier would've ballsed it up for us in a different way - a totally new and unheard of way that I can't imagine yet, but as always with spurs, we will definitely see it at some point this season.

I'm putting all my eggs in the basket labelled "Tanganga & Rodon".
Dier and Rodon will be our first choice pairing within a few Prem games I reckon

I’m not sure if that excites me or worries me. Never see Rodon play but looks like a good prospect. Dier can be fantastic one game and shocking the next. But he is more of a leader than Toby and Sanchez in my opinion.
Exactly that. Ideally it would be Toby and Rodon but think Dier is pick number one for Jose.

Think today's display has relegated Sanchez to midweek for a while. Keep Toby with him but switch them so Toby is LCB.

Rodon can't play midweek so he joins Dier on Monday. Hopefully they do well and, if so, then keep them together.

Dawson is the most overrated Spurs player of the last 15 years. Yeah I said it.

He has been our best performing CB since the lockdown. Much better physically than Toby and less prone to random errors like Sanchez. A reliable passer of the ball too. He's not perfect but he's our best all rounder at the moment.
He's been the best but the bar is low right now. It's similar to bigging up Pavlyuchenko for being our best performing CF in 2010-11. (Go look up the goal totals of Pav/Defoe/Crouch from that season)

Back
Top Bottom