Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dealt with big fat Chris Wood well
Could have done better. Also, that ´hand´ ball was rightly given, but it was a (huge, stupid and unacceptable) mistake. It´s never 100% with him.

I don´t want to be negative, don´t get me wrong. I really like victories like this one. You don´t win 6-1 every game and I´m sure Jose trained with Dier and Toby together since day 1 after West Ham. The defensive system responded very well in general.

I just think we need a more solid option.

Always has some kind of fuck up in him.

Nearly cost us a goal from a set piece with his absolutely woeful marking and then kicking the ball into Woods arm instead of just either playing it back to Lloris or whacking it clear.

Always has some kind of fuck up in him.

Nearly cost us a goal from a set piece with his absolutely woeful marking and then kicking the ball into Woods arm instead of just either playing it back to Lloris or whacking it clear.
Not good enough - hopefully Rodon retires him at CB

I like him because I think he might be the only person in the world who has a larger 5 head than me, but he does worry the living daylights out of me.

Alderweireld, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon, DAvies (at a push). Its not a bad selection but we are yet to see who our absolute undroppable CB is in there.

For much of the game, any game, Dier gives me squeaky bum time.

Im not sure if there is a direct Portugese translation of that.

I like him because I think he might be the only person in the world who has a larger 5 head than me, but he does worry the living daylights out of me.

Alderweireld, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon, DAvies (at a push). Its not a bad selection but we are yet to see who our absolute undroppable CB is in there.

For much of the game, any game, Dier gives me squeaky bum time.

Im not sure if there is a direct Portugese translation of that.

I believe it goes along the lines of:

apapapia apapapa

Trying to hook the ball back over an attacker, in that position, when your keeper is right there in front of you to pass to is inexcusable.

Fuck off with that shit, Eric.

Decent, apart from that.

But it's things like that that wind me tf up.

Just can't be trusted.

I was thinking about this today, with Van Dijk out none of our competitors really have a particularly top group of CBs. It’s our weakest spot as well, but I don’t think we compare badly too badly to the others.

Tottenham: Alderweireld, Dier, Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga
Liverpool: Gomez, Fabinho, Matip
City: Ake, Laporte, Dias, Stones
Chelsea: Silva, Zouma, Christensen, Rudiger, Tomori
Everton: Keane, Mina, Godfrey, Holgate
United: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe
Woolwich: Luiz, Gabriel, Holding, Mustafi

Point being, I think we can skate by with our slightly suboptimal group considering our opponents aren’t exactly fielding Rio-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho.

He was good, won more headers than anyone else in our team, had one crazy moment but I think it's unfair to call it a mistake, because obviously it worked out, just a bit stressful.

I was thinking about this today, with Van Dijk out none of our competitors really have a particularly top group of CBs. It’s our weakest spot as well, but I don’t think we compare badly too badly to the others.

Point being, I think we can skate by with our slightly suboptimal group considering our opponents aren’t exactly fielding Rio-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho.
I don’t think any of the above teams has a strong first choice CB pairing/back three. City possibly have one in Dias and Laporte but that remains to be seen.
How much involvement Rodon has this season or if Tanganga can make the step up to be a regular are other variables in Spurs case.

Last edited:

Dier has a mistake or two in him at times...
but feck me, compared to Mustafi he is van Dijk on steroids!!!

It was SO amusing to watch the end of Leicester-Woolwich game... Vardy could have taken ball down, flip off Mustafi and still have enough time to put it into the net :D .

Apart from that handball thing he looked decent , but those sort of silly mistakes need to be cut out.
Glad he started over Sanchez yesterday given how weak Sanchez can look against these 'targetmen'

Back
Top Bottom