Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

awful footballer. second goal is his fault! should be squeezing the ball as soon as coleman takes that big touch, instead he hesitates, then we get punished due to his lack of pace as hes easily played around! its like havign a fuckign handicap with him in the starting 11! get him the fuck off and out of this club

His last non- EL win for us was against Sheff Utd in mid January.

Since its:

1x D
6x L's

Of course part of that will be the teams we are playing but the story is there.

Not a leader and not doing enough as a defender to warrant a place.

He really is one of a few players whose time with us has simply been too long.

And I mean that with no disrespect to Dier but on such matters we have and continue to make too many poor decisions.

Last edited:

So sick of our players claiming they are 'hurt' after losing big games.

Why don't you bottle up that hurt and use it to motivate themselves to win the big games?

In the 2017 FA Cup SF v Chelsea - I thought that they might use the 'hurt' of the Battle of the Bridge to win the game... but no: a stupid free kick, a stupid penalty, and a 1 in 1000 strike from Matic put paid to that.

2018 FA Cup SF v Man U - threw that away

2019 CL Final - fight and fight and fight to get into the final and then... nothing

Pretty much flawless tonight

He was very flawed with the ball at his feet, had a number of bad turnovers and eventually just resorted to giving everything to Toby to deal with, which also put Toby in a terrible spot because Dier was not an option for Toby to move the ball to if he had nothing.

It is actually a very telling game as to why we need to move on from Dier. I agree with most here that defensively he was very good to great. I would say this is about as good a game as we could hope from Dier, and because of how poor he was on the ball it wasn't good enough and shows why he will never be what we need.

I give him full marks for the effort and defensive shift he put in, but he clearly needs to be sold in the summer. Should be near the top of the list of guys to go.

Yep,Dier, Toby and Hugo were our best players

But here we are again in terms of our players and maybe let's use the analogy of stocks and shares.

You see spikes in shares, based sometimes on a bit of speculation. Let's call that a bit of good form.

The best stocks but with no guarantees are usually (and not always) are those that perform well in all conditions and throughout the year.

Sometimes you sell and see them increase in value but often you don't sell and see poor stocks decline or go up and down which is quite usual.. many simply peter out and have little value.

Dier is a stock that has spikes of increased value but no sooner do you think hold or even buy more stock (New contract) than you think Hmmmm...

I take Dier's good performance with a pinch of salt and would sell.

He was very flawed with the ball at his feet, had a number of bad turnovers and eventually just resorted to giving everything to Toby to deal with, which also put Toby in a terrible spot because Dier was not an option for Toby to move the ball to if he had nothing.

It is actually a very telling game as to why we need to move on from Dier. I agree with most here that defensively he was very good to great. I would say this is about as good a game as we could hope from Dier, and because of how poor he was on the ball it wasn't good enough and shows why he will never be what we need.

I give him full marks for the effort and defensive shift he put in, but he clearly needs to be sold in the summer. Should be near the top of the list of guys to go.
I'm glad you mentioned this because its an easier one to fix than coaches seem to think you get your center midfield player to drop deep make angles with his two centerbacks and take responsibility to progress the ball. Problem was Winks Hoijberge and Sissoko hide constantly from this responsibility leaving only GLC to show. Cowardly crap on the part of the three mentioned. And yes Dier and indeed Toby as a result are force to lump long or Dier tried bravely to carry and promptly gave it away. The omission of N'dombele killed us further forward, the refusal of PHE and Winks to show killed as at the back.

I'm glad you mentioned this because its an easier one to fix than coaches seem to think you get your center midfield player to drop deep make angles with his two centerbacks and take responsibility to progress the ball. Problem was Winks Hoijberge and Sissoko hide constantly from this responsibility leaving only GLC to show. Cowardly crap on the part of the three mentioned. And yes Dier and indeed Toby as a result are force to lump long or Dier tried bravely to carry and promptly gave it away. The omission of N'dombele killed us further forward, the refusal of PHE and Winks to show killed as at the back.

I agree that the MFers did not help at all, but Dier still made so many bad choices and had way more trouble than Toby did.

I think we need to both fix the midfield, fix our movement off the ball and get CB's that are better with the ball at their feet.

This is an area that PEH hurts us because ideally it is that role that would drop back and be able to help the CB's but he just is not good enough on the ball to do it. I think if we stick to the double pivot next year we need someone who can do that and allow PEH more freedom in where he plays, or if we move to a midfield 3 I think PEH cannot be the deepest of those guys, which could mean we need another DM-type guy to play in that grouping.

Had a good game overall, but that misplaced ball into midfield which was given straight to City and should have resulted in a goal for them was so typically Dier that we've seen it all before. Always seems to have a moment like that every time he plays.

Back
Top Bottom