Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As a friend pointed out, Mason only picks Dier because he’s scared of dropping him.
He picked him because Rodon could not play in the League Cup final and he is a better bet than Sanchez. He played well and kept his place. Now he did not play well against Leeds and we lost and so we will see if he brings back Rodon.

I think he realised he was too much of a lump to play in midfield. Even as a DM he wasn't mobile enough or good enough with the ball at his feet. So he told the club i want to be a centre-back and got a new contract as a result.

A proper management structure would have said Eric, you have no basis to assume you can perform at centre-back to the level we require. You're not getting a new contract until you prove you can do so. For starters you need to earn your place in that position not demand it. In the meantime you are expected to give 100% in any role the manager demands of you regardless of where you think you should be playing.

If he didn't want to prove himself in the position and earn his spot, he should have been sold at the first available opportunity.

I think he realised he was too much of a lump to play in midfield. Even as a DM he wasn't mobile enough or good enough with the ball at his feet. So he told the club i want to be a centre-back and got a new contract as a result.

A proper management structure would have said Eric, you have no basis to assume you can perform at centre-back to the level we require. You're not getting a new contract until you prove you can do so. For starters you need to earn your place in that position not demand it. In the meantime you are expected to give 100% in any role the manager demands of you regardless of where you think you should be playing.

If he didn't want to prove himself in the position and earn his spot, he should have been sold at the first available opportunity.
Yeah you're spot on mate, he doesn't have the mobility of a player on that level and can't make up for it with exceptional reading of the game like some other CB's. I have nothing against him personally but we need to be more brutal with players that don't adapt and show they can compete at the level we need to be at.

I was playing FIFA 21 and put this dickhead in midfield and we won all our remaining games, shielding the back four and we played like we did in the early years. Just saying.

I get the criticism of Dier, but some of it is rather harsh. Blaming the Leeds goals on him is a bit far fetched.

Goal 1 - Aurier fails to track run and allows the to be crossed. Dier gets a shout from the keeper and rather than attack the ball; he shifts his body to block off the run of the striker on his shoulder. It was Reggie's jobs to block the attacker on the rear post. Reggie fluffs his clearance and fails to block the attacker.

Goal 2 - To cross zips past 3 spurs players (aurier, toby and lo celso) before it gets near Dier., Yet somehow this is Diers fault? The headed clearance in the buildup was poor; but again Reggie was wrongfooted and Holjberg out of position and not tracking the runner.

I get the criticism of Dier, but some of it is rather harsh. Blaming the Leeds goals on him is a bit far fetched.

Goal 1 - Aurier fails to track run and allows the to be crossed. Dier gets a shout from the keeper and rather than attack the ball; he shifts his body to block off the run of the striker on his shoulder. It was Reggie's jobs to block the attacker on the rear post. Reggie fluffs his clearance and fails to block the attacker.

Goal 2 - To cross zips past 3 spurs players (aurier, toby and lo celso) before it gets near Dier., Yet somehow this is Diers fault? The headed clearance in the buildup was poor; but again Reggie was wrongfooted and Holjberg out of position and not tracking the runner.
A good defender defends his goal
Dier can’t do that he does not sense danger - he has cost us so many goals this season by not being able to defend his goal - the first goal against Leeds 100% down to dier as the ball comes in he chears it and there is no danger to our goal but he leaves the ball to roll across our six yard box - rank bad defending and cost us a goal
The second goal again unable to defend his six yard box not sensing danger and on his heels allows the opponent who is further away from the ball to get in front of him again down to dier- with a better centre back we don’t concede either of those 1st 2 goals

Dier can’t do that he does not sense danger - he has cost us so many goals this season by not being able to defend his goal - the first goal against Leeds 100% down to dier as the ball comes in he chears it and there is no danger to our goal but he leaves the ball to roll across our six yard box - rank bad defending and cost us a goal
The second goal again unable to defend his six yard box not sensing danger and on his heels allows the opponent who is further away from the ball to get in front of him again down to dier- with a better centre back we don’t concede either of those 1st 2 goals
And the third goal, no awareness of the player being offside if he stops running.

However, Dire, El Burro and Carlsberg were beyond shocking on Saturday and the three of them made Sanchez, Davies and Winks look like De Ligt, Alphonso Davies and Kante/

I don't like Dier. Think he could have prevented the first two goals, but what were his buddies doing? Scandalous collective defending, IMO, with a top-4 place still to play for.

And people on here think we couldn't do better than Carlsberg??

Jeebus wept

When he first signed he looked an excellent prospect for both us and England. Go back to when he scored a free-kick against Russia in the World Cup in 2018, when he actually had a head full of hair, and he looked the dogs bollocks. I seriously don't know what happened to him and how he suddenly got so average. Now he's just a versatile carthorse that should be playing for a club like Millwall.

It's almost like he shaved his hair and suddenly became what he looked, pretty shit!

"the odd mistake" ! Someone should tell him there were at least three in today's game alone. And they're not honest mistakes he's making they're fucking basic stuff.

If this guy is still in the team when the fans come back then I suspect he'll be making his way into the stands again looking for vengeance.
Showed more effort then than on the field
Donkey

Are you sure he got a shout from Hugo?

Even Sanchez would have probably hoofed it rather than let it go in that position

Are you sure he got a shout from Hugo?

Even Sanchez would have probably hoofed it rather than let it go in that position

You can see Hugo shout as the ball comes in. Dier focus's on blocking the attacker getting to the ball rather than attempting an unpredictable clearance (we saw at liverpool last night what happens when a defender stretches for a ball in front of his goal).

Dier did his job, Reguillon fluffed his. No way is that goal on Dier.

Sure, on the 2nd goal Reggie lost his man, Holjberg didn't track the runner, Aurier got wrong footed, Lo Celso slid into no-mans land and Toby ran in the wrong direction.

But sure, all on Dier.

With your logic shouldn't we just blame every goal on Llloris since he didn't save it?

Back
Top Bottom