Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

5 clean sheets this season. Eric played in 4 of them.
Played 11 lost twice over 90 mins with Eric.
Whose fault was the 7-2? Eric didn't play.
He had a bad game last night but who had a good game?
We're a side with a lot of problems at present, he's just one of them.

Eric was fantastic v Burnley on Saturday. IMO he isn't fit enough at the moment to do 2 a week but Jose wants to get him match fit.
He won't play v Wolves.

Last edited:
Eric was fantastic v Burnley on Saturday. IMOe isn't fit enough at the moment to do 2 a week but Jose wants to get him match fit.
He won't play v Wolves.

And who is the club we should benchmark our results by?
Is it
a) Burnley (where he was "fantastic" as you described)
or
b) Bayern (where he did absolutely nothing right, just strolled along, failed on easy passes, let everyone run past him etc)
?

I would say that our aim should be latter.

(also conveniently leaving out Bournemouth game, where he was not able to control CM against such side as well...)

P.S Dier pass % even in this "Fantastic" Burnley game was 79% (!) that means 21 passes from 100 go off mark. And thats his best perforamance in EPL this season. Against Brighton it was 74% and Wet Spam 75%.

Last edited:
Folk need to understand he is what we have. If we could get the miser in charge to pay for Dennis Zakaria or Wilmar Barrios yes we would be better, but he wont and we need a DM. Jose seems to think the best option in the squad is Deir. So it's time to suck it up. I dearly hope we are searching the world for an alternative

Or maybe we're not in a transfer window, so the so called miser can't put a bid in? Just a thought....

:levystare:

How many games do we give him?

I think I'm right in thinking he's played in all Mourinho's games? That makes four on the bounce - he should be approaching match fitness.

It shouldn't take more than this, and yet yesterday he just lumbered around without an apparent care in the world.

I've got this feeling that he'll play against Wolves and turn in another woeful performance. Skipp may be an answer but I don't think he'll get a chance before Middlesborough.

How long do. We give you?

You've been posting negative shite on a daily basis for well over a year now.....

Probably needs a poll.... Will Mike ever post anything positive?

Eric was fantastic v Burnley on Saturday. IMOe isn't fit enough at the moment to do 2 a week but Jose wants to get him match fit.
He won't play v Wolves.

I'm afraid our respective definitions of 'fantastic' differ fantastically.

He was OK at best versus Burnley (Burnley!!) and did many (not all) of the things expected of an £80K a week PL footballer.

Other than that he's been consistently woeful - a caricature of his former excellent past. Someone dining out (!) on past performances. Rather like Dele for a long time - but he appears to have turned a corner and is playing consistently well.

How long do. We give you?

You've been posting negative shite on a daily basis for well over a year now.....

Probably needs a poll.... Will Mike ever post anything positive?
I'm afraid you're mixing me up with someone else. Check the post above re. Dele.

I can't see anything negative about asking how long it takes to achieve match fitness. I've suggested four games on the bounce. And your contribution to this discussion is...?

I believe in giving a player more than 4 or 5 fucking games before throwing him under a bus, especially one that's been injured and ill for a long time. I don't believe in slagging different players off every week because they have a bad game.

Nor do I. However the discussion was about regaining match fitness, not form.

As my post above says, four games in quick succession should see a player approaching match fitness.

You really are making this up. From memory, Lamela was the last Spurs player I took issue with.

Universal support for our team and players unless they turn in non-performances like yesterday, Burnley, Everton etc etc.

Anyway, I'm not here to defend my posting history - more important things to do.

Additionally I do not post every day!

Some of the criticism is way OTT.

He was a lynchpin of our best modern day team. The physicality is compromised, but he is no worse as a footballer.

Good news is, that physical shape can be rebuilt.

I am quite suprised about some of the bile around here, when players like Sissoko, Aurier and Lamela over the lenght and costs over their contracts have been absolutely stealing a living around here.

Oh he'd not be my choice but we need an orthodox CDM that's not broken. I personally want Zakaria but I'm not sure he is a bit of a box to box type Barrios might be the best bet but Rice average though he is might be a sum of the parts type. Just makes the system work but not great. I'd rather have the reincarnation of Makele.
Don't know if Barrios is box to box, but he's a vicious, tenacious little fucker who shores up a defence and brings the ball away.

But regardless of who becomes our CDM, a defence defending as deep as ours last night is an accident waiting to happen. There's no let up in pressure and Bayern were taking it easy, yet still made us look like an amateur team

You're right, we're all armchair experts here.

I've ventured that four games on the bounce in quick succession will see an already-trained-up-to-the-hilt pro player approach match fitness. He's been training for months since his illness, it's just that he hasn't played 90 minutes.

That's my view.

Going back to the 'How long do we give him' question for him to appear a little less lethargic in movement and thought; is anyone going to give their opinion?

10 games, 20?

He's coming back from nearly a year out inc. multiple illnesses and some form of surgery during the summer.

Who knows.... Which is very much my point.

He still looks way off the pace so evidently the 4 games you cite isn't enough.

Mobility and energy levels never used to be an issue.... Poch used to get 50-60 appearances per season out of him; so whatever it is holding him back would appear to run deep.

He's coming back from nearly a year out inc. multiple illnesses and some form of surgery during the summer.

Who knows.... Which is very much my point.

He still looks way off the pace so evidently the 4 games you cite isn't enough.

Mobility and energy levels never used to be an issue.... Poch used to get 50-60 appearances per season out of him; so whatever it is holding him back would appear to run deep.

He was available for a massive chunk of last season.

And saying mobility and energy levels were never a problem is just wrong. He was never mobile or energetic enough for the position he played in midfield - just look at the difference between his performances and how much better we were when Wanyama came in for him. And that's ignoring Dier's footballing limitations - which are pretty rudimentary.

How much stock do we put Poch's ideas of team selection, because frankly, I think it's the biggest single factor that got him the sack.

Oh come on, man..... A sacking wasn't on the horizon back then! ....That's bollocks.

We were in the title race this time last year and had previously enjoyed a 3rd place finish.

Back
Top Bottom