Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier has really done well in this sweeper role.

I think he's keeping it simple and there haven't been any brain farts

That almost pass to Reggy wold've been something if not for a great sliding effort from the Brentford defender

I think Dier was already looking more solid initially under Nuno anyway, but definitely a notch better again under Conte.

Really, it's a very good turnaround to have - especially when you consider that Conte wants to play with three centre backs, so (including Davies) depth in that position has become even more important. It's one less purchase we need to make (though should still be looking for one more CB).

I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Dier but a part of me always feels that he's one moment away from disaster
He was decent overall but did have his trademark dodgy moment when their player got away away from him so easily and a better cross would have been a goal against us. Not getting carried away just yet, the other team was shite.

Wage thief of note

As long as players like him, Sanchez, PEH and Winks are still on our payroll and still getting regular game time we will never progress as a Top tier club - laughable by ENIC, Mason and co. - enabling and rewarding tragic mediocrity as usual

Hope Conte can clear the weeds out in January and next summer

He was quite good yesterday. His positioning, decision making and calmness were evident last night, and he was constantly coordinating everyone. Could Conte get a good tune out of him after all?

Same player. Different manager.

Now we are starting to defend higher up the pitch, engage oppo with aggression making them play under pressure at every phase of their build-up, stay in shape and don't let the oppo ply through you means our defence is not under siege for almost 90mins.

When in possession, patterns beginning to form, so passing angles improved, players looking to make the pass they've practised in training, players off the ball moving into those spaces before the ball is kicked (still not super slick, probably won't be until next season).

Positionally, having DM's drop either side of Dier, then push up WB's into that zone will leave Dier as the spare man, where he's stepping into midfield with the ball and/or playing some really lovely progressive balls to feet or over the top.

Now we are starting to defend higher up the pitch, engage oppo with aggression making them play under pressure at every phase of their build-up, stay in shape and don't let the oppo ply through you means our defence is not under siege for almost 90mins.

When in possession, patterns beginning to form, so passing angles improved, players looking to make the pass they've practised in training, players off the ball moving into those spaces before the ball is kicked (still not super slick, probably won't be until next season).

Positionally, having DM's drop either side of Dier, then push up WB's into that zone will leave Dier as the spare man, where he's stepping into midfield with the ball and/or playing some really lovely progressive balls to feet or over the top.
his speed is surprising, playing higher up seems to suit him. Met him in London before the season kicked off. Was happy to pose for a photo, looked to have a genuine smile. Said I was a season ticket holder, and would he be hanging around.

I believe he has matured and distanced himself from Dele and previous antics. He knows his career is short and is maximising it. Good for him I say.

his speed is surprising, playing higher up seems to suit him. Met him in London before the season kicked off. Was happy to pose for a photo, looked to have a genuine smile. Said I was a season ticket holder, and would he be hanging around.

I believe he has matured and distanced himself from Dele and previous antics. He knows his career is short and is maximising it. Good for him I say.
He stays over at Dele's at least once a week mate, Dier leaves his dogs at his house when they are training (I have a mate that lives directly opposite Dele's house on Wagon Road, propper curtain twitcher hahaha And obviously being locked down for a year this didn't occur).

The only thing that's changed is the online stuff surrounding them "bromance this, bromance that" apparently got on their tits as it's all anyone was talking about (the first question in interviews etc.. Club also pushing it so they've tried to get out of that cycle).

I think this'll apply to a fair few - already the case with Skippy as well.

Make no mistake, Levy and ENIC should be stuck in the stocks on Tottenham High Road with punters throwing rotten tomatoes at them for the way they've allowed the squad to stagnate; however, it was compounded by the coaching of the last two years.

First Mourinho, a man past his prime and seemingly poor at upping the fitness of his teams. Then Nuno, a nice fella but a man completely out of his depth. The team has been criminally under-coached for ages now and it's made everyone bar the world class (or just under world class) guys look worse than they are.

Some definitely need to be axed ASAP (in January, hopefully), but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone looks better within a month.

I think this'll apply to a fair few - already the case with Skippy as well.

Make no mistake, Levy and ENIC should be stuck in the stocks on Tottenham High Road with punters throwing rotten tomatoes at them for the way they've allowed the squad to stagnate; however, it was compounded by the coaching of the last two years.

First Mourinho, a man past his prime and seemingly poor at upping the fitness of his teams. Then Nuno, a nice fella but a man completely out of his depth. The team has been criminally under-coached for ages now and it's made everyone bar the world class (or just under world class) guys look worse than they are.

Some definitely need to be axed ASAP (in January, hopefully), but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone looks better within a month.
We've bought quite a few players though! Spent handsomely on some of them too. The stagnation was under Poch, where however there was some shared blame with him too I feel but don't want to go over this topic as feel it's been done a lot.

We had a shit manager who played a dier brand of football, who neglected any physical conditioning of the players, whose style of management simply doesn't work anymore and to compound this further he's absolutely shit at and bringing through youth (despite all his chest-beating and giving debuts to a handful of players, the reality was no manager gave fewer minutes to new academy players than the dinosaur!).

He also chooses to bring in absolute fucking cloggers like Rodon, Hart, Doherty & Fernandes (Vicinious was a waste of time and almost a clogged, some will say he was to which I'm not arguing against). I like aspects of Bergwijns game where I think he could be useful for us if he can learn and execute what Conte (proper coach) wants but he hasn't been successful by any measure. Reggie and PEH are the only players that can be called anything remotely as "successful" but I struggle to call them successes but in the context of them getting regular mins (they are clearly first-team players) I can't find an alternative description.

We've bought quite a few players though! Spent handsomely on some of them too. The stagnation was under Poch, where however there was some shared blame with him too I feel but don't want to go over this topic as feel it's been done a lot.

We had a shit manager who played a dier brand of football, who neglected any physical conditioning of the players, whose style of management simply doesn't work anymore and to compound this further he's absolutely shit at and bringing through youth (despite all his chest-beating and giving debuts to a handful of players, the reality was no manager gave fewer minutes to new academy players than the dinosaur!).

He also chooses to bring in absolute fucking cloggers like Rodon, Hart, Doherty & Fernandes (Vicinious was a waste of time and almost a clogged, some will say he was to which I'm not arguing against). I like aspects of Bergwijns game where I think he could be useful for us if he can learn and execute what Conte (proper coach) wants but he hasn't been successful by any measure. Reggie and PEH are the only players that can be called anything remotely as "successful" but I struggle to call them successes but in the context of them getting regular mins (they are clearly first-team players) I can't find an alternative description.
Oh, I'm not blind to the rot setting in under Poch, and the blame for that (for me) lies with multiple parties including him: Levy and co. for resting on their laurels and not improving the team in summer 2018, Poch for either not pushing hard enough, accepting attainable targets, and allowing the team to start underperforming on the pitch for the entirety of 2019 domestically.

Alas, the stadium build was probably the single biggest poorly timed distraction during the whole damn affair. Spursy.

As for the last part of your post: I'm cautiously optimistic with Paratici behind the scenes and the pull Conte will have regarding transfer targets (and that the weaknesses in our squad are so bloody obvious that I find it unfathomable we won't do some business in January).

Dier has improved his reliability slowly and steadily, from the dismal state it was in about 18 months ago. Hopefully, Conte will help him develop further. He's gradually turning into a good player for us.

Oh, I'm not blind to the rot setting in under Poch, and the blame for that (for me) lies with multiple parties including him: Levy and co. for resting on their laurels and not improving the team in summer 2018, Poch for either not pushing hard enough, accepting attainable targets, and allowing the team to start underperforming on the pitch for the entirety of 2019 domestically.

Alas, the stadium build was probably the single biggest poorly timed distraction during the whole damn affair. Spursy.

As for the last part of your post: I'm cautiously optimistic with Paratici behind the scenes and the pull Conte will have regarding transfer targets (and that the weaknesses in our squad are so bloody obvious that I find it unfathomable we won't do some business in January).
I'm not expecting any business in Jan, this is such a false market. Difficult to move good players out of current teams etc etc..

It's an opportunist market, so it's just a matter of waiting to see what ar where opportunities there are. Those opportunities will mostly be a Club willing to sell a player that would move for free in the summer and they need the money now (if they need the player to say qualify for CL then unless that particular player is worth less than the £70m CL bring sin then Clubs would prefer to let that player leave on a free than not qualify for CL with him).

Oh and we might not be in CL, or players looking to come to us might want to themselves wait until the summer to see if we do or not.

The most important thing is Conte improving the team, Jan singing is a fool's paradise.

Been very, very good this season overall. Fair play. I wasn't one who rated him too highly, and still have my doubts, but you have to attribute credit where it's due. The back 5 seems to be helping him but he's doing a lot right and long may it continue.

He's a decent player, and gives his all. We could do with a few more like him.

Been very, very good this season overall. Fair play. I wasn't one who rated him too highly, and still have my doubts, but you have to attribute credit where it's due. The back 5 seems to be helping him but he's doing a lot right and long may it continue.

He's a decent player, and gives his all. We could do with a few more like him.
Spot on, fair play to the guy he’s rightly endured some stick over the years but hopefully Conte will get the best out of him.

Back
Top Bottom