Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like Dier. I’ve always defended him on this forum and I’m pleased others are recognising what he brings.
- he is the general. He tells people their positions. He Marshall’s the defence at a corner. Every defence needs someone like him.
- he has passion. He wants to win. He wants to drive the team onwards.
- he leaves it all on the pitch.

im not going to get too carried away but if we win our next 2-3 games I suspect Dier will be a major part of that.

To be fair, probably the best we ever saw from Dier previously was when he was positioned at DM, but really was the third CB when Walker and Rose bombed on. Playing as part of a 3 really brings his strengths into play.

I like Dier. I’ve always defended him on this forum and I’m pleased others are recognising what he brings.
- he is the general. He tells people their positions. He Marshall’s the defence at a corner. Every defence needs someone like him.

im not going to get too carried away but if we win our next 2-3 games I suspect Dier will be a major part of that.
He's a hell of a lot more captain-y on the field than Kane is.

The blind leading the blind springs to mind.
Or the clowns running the circus.

His lapses of concentration are a worry for every minute of every match. He's done OK in the league since Conte arrived though. Maybe he's just been poorly trained under 3 previous coaches.

Dier is what we have at the moment, the best of a bad bunch (ok, we have Romero, but he's injured for a couple of months). If Dier has a decent season under Conte, then keep him as a backup defender. But if we want to be a team challenging for the title (why hire Conte if not?) then we need to upgrade this type of player.

Don't agree. He is a pretty good passer of the ball.
Next England games in January and Eric must be odds on for a call up.
Oh, I think he’s a much better footballer than he is a defender anyway.

What I mean is that he’s best defending and distributing from down the middle, because he’s very vulnerable when put into the channels. He gets beaten easily and panics.

He's a hell of a lot more captain-y on the field than Kane is.

Seeing as Kane isn't captain then it doesn't really matter then.

Don't agree. He is a pretty good passer of the ball.
Next England games in January and Eric must be odds on for a call up.

He spends most marches trying to play Toby type diagonals. The problem is, he usually mis-hits them low, straight into CM and then has a team bearing down on him.

He spends most marches trying to play Toby type diagonals. The problem is, he usually mis-hits them low, straight into CM and then has a team bearing down on him.
I don't mind the mis-hits too much.
Not a lot of harm done.
And the ones that come off will usually result in a decent chance.
I'd rather that than the Sanchez to Royal and back to Sanchez then back to Hugo.

Time to move on.
Any renaissance will ultimately be a false dawn. Had lots of time for Dier, but it’s over.

Will appreciate his efforts when he plays well, but he needs to go.
I assume your next avatar is going to be Kane when Diers gone?

I’m thinking about changing my user name to KaneDomBadBoy given Ndombele is likely done for.

Last edited:

I like all that but that has to come with being sound and competent in one’s own position

It might come with quality coaching but for too long now, specifically he’s beaten in the air too often particularly at corners and in general doesn’t read the game well enough coupled with consistently slow to react

If he can raise his own game and cement it at the requisite level I’d be delighted because you’re right every team needs a character that is Eric dier

Back
Top Bottom