Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ive got zero against the term rested...or benched....or rotated....or left out....

For me it all means the same as dropped. Excluded from the team that starts.
I dont see the word dropped as derogatory, or negative, or a put down. Its simply a term to describe someone who is not in the starting 11.

Kane was rested. He was still dropped. He was still rotated and so forth....too many assuming its an insult for no reason, and to be fair its a little crass that they are now pretending its the word itself they have a problem with.

Before Watford, most of those whining claimed that Kane should play every game, now they are trying to act like they were all about the rotation.......benching him is fine all of a sudden. Just as long as you say it "nicely"

WALOB

spursmalc

"Drop" means "leave out"

Pressing disagree doeasnt change the English language to what you think it means.

Dont make me wheel out the Oxford dictionary again, oh fuck it:

4.1 Discard or exclude (someone or something)
‘they were dropped from the team in the reshuffle’

Time frame and reason is irrelevant, but dont tell me, you are more right than the dictionary, like you all were last time when you didnt know what spend meant.

Whatever you call it, there are different reasons why it happens.

And there are differences between “Messi’s dropped to the bench to be rested for the big game” and “Messi’s been dropped because he hasn’t been playing great”.

Words don’t exist on their own. It’s all about inflexion, emphasis and how those words are put together into sentences and how those sentences are constructed that inform us of their meaning.

Dier isn’t a very good midfielder, even on a good day. Eriksen is a great attacking midfielder most of the time. Messi is one of the best forwards the world has ever seen.

Whatever you call it, there are different reasons why it happens.

And there are differences between “Messi’s dropped to the bench to be rested for the big game” and “Messi’s been dropped because he hasn’t been playing great”.

Words don’t exist on their own. It’s all about inflexion, emphasis and how those words are put together into sentences and how those sentences are constructed that inform us of their meaning.

Dier isn’t a very good midfielder, even on a good day. Eriksen is a great attacking midfielder most of the time. Messi is one of the best forwards the world has ever seen.

So the long and short of that is that Messi is good and was dropped.....Dier is not very good and should be dropped.

The reasons are different, but they are both dropped.

Just what I’ve been saying for 24hrs and 10 pages.

Dpk6MRlXcAUX242.jpg

He has been shit for us this season. So, yes, definitely his best game this season.

Haters will hate .... Dier does a job, with the right players around him he is a very good player, can he step up to replace Eriksen or Dele? not a chance that's not his game ... but snuffing out one of the world's best midfield line ups? tonight our boy done good .....

Strange all the hate that Dier gets, some of our most memorable moments of both this young Spurs and England side are all centred around the actions of Sir Eric Dier. His debut against West Ham, another beautiful tackle against Everton (again in his first season), keeping Costa in his pocket, his post-match interview after thrashing City 4-1, Epic destruction of Chelsea players in the "battle at the bridge", injury time winner for England against Germany, perfect free-kick for England at the Euros, THE pressure penalty at the World Cup to take England to the Semi-Final of World Cup, Woolwich players flattened and squashed in every game against them and then last night a MOTM performance that stopped Busquets from playing and that tackle on Ramos.

The lad is a leader and he's England's vise-Captain, "I love Eric Dier, Eric Dier loves me".

Haters will hate .... Dier does a job, with the right players around him he is a very good player, can he step up to replace Eriksen or Dele? not a chance that's not his game ... but snuffing out one of the world's best midfield line ups? tonight our boy done good .....
I'm not saying he should be played out if position. I'm saying that he has played poorly.

You seem to be saying that the non-Spurs players playing with him yesterday are the reason he had a good game. I actually think we have better players than England does. But racist patriotism blinds some people.

Back
Top Bottom