Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alot of people cant seem to distinguish between mistakes and dangerous mistakes.

In terms of dangerous goal conceding mistakes, id take Dier as a safe pair of hands over any other midfielder we have. Thats why hes getting games.
I don't think there's a difference at this level. Giving the ball away to their attackers surely counts as a dangerous mistake. All it takes is one lapse and you can be in trouble. Just so happens theirs were no threat but someone like De Bruyne is not going to be as forgiving.

So far he's given the ball away every single game. I hope he improves. Really I do. Otherwise it could cost us.

I don't think there's a difference at this level. Giving the ball away to their attackers surely counts as a dangerous mistake. All it takes is one lapse and you can be in trouble. Just so happens theirs were no threat but someone like De Bruyne is not going to be as forgiving.

So far he's given the ball away every single game. I hope he improves. Really I do. Otherwise it could cost us.

so you are concerned that he doesn’t have a 100% successful pass rate and never gets tackled?

so you are concerned that he doesn’t have a 100% successful pass rate and never gets tackled?
I'm bothered that he gives the balls too easily to opposition attackers in the middle of the field when he lacks the the necessary agility and speed to turn and get back to help protect the goal.

I think Dier at his best is a decent player. He's a useful squad player. I also think we could do better. But I genuinely would love to see him prove me and other doubters wrong. I'll happily eat my words if Jose moulds him into a pitch king. That's why I think he needs to play as much as possible to get the chance to reach his potential.

id say your understanding of the game is poor then

Folk need to understand he is what we have. If we could get the miser in charge to pay for Dennis Zakaria or Wilmar Barrios yes we would be better, but he wont and we need a DM. Jose seems to think the best option in the squad is Deir. So it's time to suck it up. I dearly hope we are searching the world for an alternative

Folk need to understand he is what we have. If we could get the miser in charge to pay for Dennis Zakaria or Wilmar Barrios yes we would be better, but he wont and we need a DM. Jose seems to think the best option in the squad is Deir. So it's time to suck it up. I dearly hope we are searching the world for an alternative

Jose probably does yet but rest assured that if Dier doesn't cut the mustard he will be replaced in time like anyone will.

I'm all for giving Dier a chance to find his feet after a long spell out but ultimately Jose will want to win and I don't think he'll accommodate people he likes at the expense of that. Let's see how the next month pans out, I don't expect much activity until the summer though.

Last edited:
Skipp came on and pretty much embarrassed him.

There was a clear moment where everyone watching realised Skipp is simply better suited to us than Dier in midfield.

Just like Big Vic, his legs are gone. He loves Tottenham, but so do we here, and we can't cut it at the top level, just like him. Doubt even the likes of Watford would start him at the moment, let alone us.

Forget starting for Watford , he probably wouldn't even make the bench there these days.
It's very weird though, because he's what? 25? 26? He shouldn't have even peaked at his age, but he looks like a 33 year old midfielder these days. Sad really.

He was never a midfielder. Please stop drinking the koolaid of our almost year. He was a stop gap that was helped by having Dembele in the middle of the park and a high pressing team.

Now that we don't press and it is just him sitting next to another idiot, he is fully exposed for the false midfielder he has always been.

He was never a midfielder. Please stop drinking the koolaid of our almost year. He was a stop gap that was helped by having Dembele in the middle of the park and a high pressing team.

Now that we don't press and it is just him sitting next to another idiot, he is fully exposed for the false midfielder he has always been.
Then what is he? Because he certainly isn't a central defender

He’s clearly not 100% health-wise. What the root cause is and whether he can get back to the monster he was a few years back I don’t know, but more game time is the way we’ll find out.
Suspect once it becomes clear whether Toby and Jan are actually off soon, we’ll see him revert to CB.

i disagree. I think he's very good midfielder if he's in form. I think Dier is only mid fielder in Spurs right now who can actually control mid field with passing ability.

he's not in form, and maybe he will never be. But i think he's a really good DM if he can find his form again.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a matter of form.

No matter how bad a players form gets, they're always physically around the same level. Diers physical level is the issue right now. Almost every player in the premier league can run off the back of him and there's nothing he can do to stop it. He's slow to turn, slow to pick up speed and even his top speed is quite pedestrian.

0:41.

1st goal vs Bayern. He's the SECOND HIGHEST PLAYER up the pitch, pressing a central defender. The central defender takes one step to the right and plays a simple pass out of trouble. 1. Why is Dier even there? 2. Dier is so slow that a single step takes him out of the game. 3. He never manages to get back to defend after this, as he's too slow and lethargic. Eriksen and Lo Celso are both deeper than he is.

2:46

2nd goal vs Bayern. Starts off in a decent position, but isn't actually marking anyone. 2:52 onwards is a catastrophe. He goes to press a player, does absolutely nothing to stop a pass-and-go. Then he stands still like a lost puppy, jogs like a human slug towards Muller who simply taps in the ball.

Slow of mind, slow of body. Players will purposefully let him man-mark them in the box, because it creates space for other places; he isn't actually stopping anyone. The premier league has moved on from big bulky defenders, the best midfielders in our league tend to be very small, quick, energetic players such as Kante, or extremely technical players such as Shelvey or Grealish. End of the road for Dier imo.

i disagree. I think he's very good midfielder if he's in form. I think Dier is only mid fielder in Spurs right now who can actually control mid field with passing ability.

he's not in form, and maybe he will never be. But i think he's a really good DM if he can find his form again.

Thats a convinient argument. Masterful one even :D
"He is really good DM when in form, though he never might get into this form" - aren't you saying that he is finished with us ? :D

But yea, on totally serious note, if nothing before was, then this here should have been a wake-up call.

Eric Dier is not good enough to play on this level anymore. Period.
I was hoping in my head, that we could get through Dec with him as DM, but this would mean we are carrying a passanger with others having to share his workload. Slow. Not closing down (he was LITERALLY staring Bayern goalscorers for goal nr 2 and nr 3 - even no effort to block them off or anything). Cannot execute simple passes. Can't force even lightweight opposition players off the ball. Nothing. What is his use? Virtually every game he has started we have not been able to control CM, having to revert to long passes.

I was hoping that Dier could be our substitute DM (or well, 2nd choice to this position), but what I saw yesterday unfortunately proved that he is not good enough even for 2nd choice. I would like us to bring in 2 DM players in coming window and ship out at least Wanyama. Giving new fellas time to fit in, and dispose Dier in summer for example. He was good servant for 4 seasons, but this player is gone now, as sad as it might be.

Now we have to just wait until Jose will notice that the Dier he wanted to buy to ManU is not the same Dier that we saw yesterday (and in all other his games truthfully).

Back
Top Bottom