Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it is because he is the only English player who really has the tools to play as an old school defensive mid that is in contention for the national team. Henderson and Winks are more deep lying midfielders than outright defensive ones.

Currently your system is set up to suit someone like Hendo or Winks but I can understand people wanting an old school DM in there and the closest thing England has really is Eric.
Declan Rice would be the only other contender.

Interesting that it seemed Dier was stand-in captain when Harry went off for England today. Testament to his character and respect in the camp, if nothing else.

Nobody is talking about Eric Dier, so I´ll start.

- He started the season in the first team because Jose likes him very much - another aspect to blame Mourinho today. It was always obvious to me that our best CB partnership is Toby-Sanchez.

- In the first half we could see the good and the bad sides of having Doherty in the team. He is a more intelligent and dangerous player than Aurier, but he will need someone fast to play behind him - the whole game James found Richarlison on his back. Behind Doherty, we need Sanchez.

- Toby should be the LCB, who turns into the central defender of a back 3 in possession. If anything, Dier should be a backup to that position.

- "Dier is good in the air", they say. Well, he made big mistakes in the last two goals we conceded (today and against Palace, in July). Both set pieces, both in the air.

- The truth is Eric Dier didn´t really show anything to deserve a place in the first team.

Dier can't see a pass, so why are the plyers round him allowing him to have the ball, if its Big Boot football Jose wants to play I can play at LCB
watch most of our players they don't look round to see where players are before they recieve the ball/or when they aredefending

Nobody is talking about Eric Dier, so I´ll start.

- He started the season in the first team because Jose likes him very much - another aspect to blame Mourinho today. It was always obvious to me that our best CB partnership is Toby-Sanchez.

- In the first half we could see the good and the bad sides of having Doherty in the team. He is a more intelligent and dangerous player than Aurier, but he will need someone fast to play behind him - the whole game James found Richarlison on his back. Behind Doherty, we need Sanchez.

- Toby should be the LCB, who turns into the central defender of a back 3 in possession. If anything, Dier should be a backup to that position.

- "Dier is good in the air", they say. Well, he made big mistakes in the last two goals we conceded (today and against Palace, in July). Both set pieces, both in the air.

- The truth is Eric Dier didn´t really show anything to deserve a place in the first team.
I agree.

If Doherty is so advanced, other coaches will mimic Ancelotti's tactic of putting a fast player in that channel behind him. So we need a pacy player there . Davinson is the obvious choice, followed by Tanganga. We will keep getting burned by this tactic until Mourinho fixes it.

Dier is significantly faster than Toby, so even switching them round and playing Dier RCB and Toby LCB would have helped a bit.

I suspect the reason for Mourinho's idiotic half-time introduction of Sissoko for Dele was because he dropped Doherty back into a more orthodox RB postion to combat Richarlison, and the cunningly stupid plan was for Sissoko to provide the right-sided attacking width.

Of course the courageous footballing move would have been to put Ndombele in Dele's ACM role and keep Lucas wide right. Or better still play Bergwijn and Sonny as the wide players.

Last edited:
Tbh, mate... Fuck that article.... Anyone can trawl twitter and find a few faceless voices to back-up their narrative.... Makes no attempt to shine light on the fact that it was in fact Toby's man that scored.
True, you're quite right about being able to collect tweets that suit almost any opinion on any subject although I myself do not twitter (or facebook). It was however a terrible performance from Eric today.
PS
Did you see who wrote the article ? Vijievan Jeevathayalan Another alphabet soup anagram so we will probably be rumoured to have approached him come tomorrow's headlines.

True, you're quite right about being able to collect tweets that suit almost any opinion on any subject although I myself do not twitter (or facebook). It was however a terrible performance from Eric today.

I said as much in the match thread, but despite being Toby's man; they both looked bad on the goal. Otherwise, IMO (aside from Ben's "oops" moment that went unpunnished) the glaring flaws weren't in our back four today.

Did you see who wrote the article ? Vijievan Jeevathayalan Another alphabet soup anagram so we will probably be rumoured to have approached him come tomorrow's headlines.

He's in my FF-team already.... Beast on Fifa too.... And no doubt a heavyweight in sports journalism circles. :mourhandlaugh:

Always concede on set pieces when this guys is playing. Need Sanchez back to partner with Toby.

Not saying that Dier plays too well, but heck, just in the end of last season we conceded from the corner where Sanchez was doing ... Sanchez... So he ain't rock in defending the set pieces as well.

But generally during the game I was thinking that Jose said on Amazon special how Dier is one who enjoys pressure and has bit of an edge.. which is good I suppose, but so do I :D shouldn't footballing ability be "a must" and this "fight in him" being 2nd thing to consider? Cause based on that I doubt he'll ever be starter and a strong option for us unfortunately....

Dier, Winks, Lucas are all problems.
They're not good enough to start matches for a team with top 4 aspirations but seem to get exactly that, every game.

I was happy when Dier got banned and sure enough, our defence got tighter and we won more games.

Even a puffing TND gives more goals or assist than Winks.

I'm not sure if Lucas has lost his contacts, but he seems to confuse space for defenders and runs into the wrong one. Every. Single. Time.

Was not sure where to put this but will be interesting to see what punishment he receives for a much more serious offence.
At least Germany are allowing fans in the stadium unlike our risk adverse Government.

Ahhhh so it’s not Levy, or Jose after all, it’s Dier

Make your minds up.....

Always said Dier should be playing DM, not sure why Jose has him CB and a 44M CB on the bench, and no DM

He's in much better shape right now than he was last season and the year before when he struggled at DM. Not enough legs at the back when we have Dier, Toby and Davies.

Back
Top Bottom