Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s my point. This time he’s not at fault and had a good game. But even when he’s not at fault, bad shit just seems to happen him all the time. He just seems one of life’s accident prone, unlucky people. Bottom line, he shouldn’t be centre back.

Last time he played that well was against Man U late last season. That ended with Dier giving away a ropey penalty to a Pogba dive that only Man U really get and a second penalty moments later that was overturned on VAR.
Exactly my point.

There was no other way for Newcastle to score. We had the knockdown from Carroll covered. All that was needed was to keep your arms to yourself. It's not about him letting Carroll win the header, Carroll had already won it. Just don't give him the opportunity to play for a handball like he JUST DID five minutes earlier

Haha, people don't want to accept this.

Doherty gave away a pen to this rule last week. Just MINUTES before the penalty, there was a VAR check against Dier for the EXACT SAME move.

He 1000% lost the header to Carroll and he threw his right arm up. Very very stupid play. This is what he does at CB, mistakes galore.
Dumb cunts out in force tonight I see

You ever tried jumping without using your arms - do you realise how stupid that sounds to anyone who's played any sport ever? do you work for VAR?
You're 100% correct. But a peak Toby, Jan or any other elite defender for that matter will manage that situation without it ending up in a penalty. I don't know what Dier does wrong, but he doesn't do it right.

The rule is shit... you know what elite clubs do? They don't let themselves become the fall guy for the rule to change. 2 points dropped to a mid-table side in what will be a very close race for the top 4. Embarrassing

There is plenty to blame Dier for and there is zero reason that he should have even been in the game but hard to fault him for that specific play.

As mentioned though these things seem to happen to bad players more often, not because he necessarily did something wrong here but they so rarely put themselves in good positions to deal with things easily that bad things result from them being in bad positions.

Christ, there are some dumb fuck comments on here trying to apportion blame to Dier for that disgusting piece of officialdom. Exactly the kind of idiots who come up with these inventive and exciting fad rule changes in the first place. I'd ask FIFA if they're hiring.

I thought Eric had a good game today. He seemed fitter and sharper and definitely looked lean. I feel really sorry for the lad. He keeps getting slapped down and he doesn't deserve it.

There was no other way for Newcastle to score. We had the knockdown from Carroll covered. All that was needed was to keep your arms to yourself. It's not about him letting Carroll win the header, Carroll had already won it. Just don't give him the opportunity to play for a handball like he JUST DID five minutes earlier
Classic armchair comment. You need to put strikers under pressure regardless if you think they’ve won it or not. Dier is extremely unlucky here and it’s unfortunate he’s got a bit of an unlucky aura about him as he played well today despite not being challenged much

Haha, people don't want to accept this.

Doherty gave away a pen to this rule last week. Just MINUTES before the penalty, there was a VAR check against Dier for the EXACT SAME move.

He 1000% lost the header to Carroll and he threw his right arm up. Very very stupid play. This is what he does at CB, mistakes galore.
I take it you have never been involved in football before

Yeah, I feel for him. It's a bullshit decision and he had a relatively good game up until that point.

But on paper, it will still confirm that 3 of the 4 goals we've conceded this season have involved Eric Dier. The awful defending for the Everton winner, the poor defending for the Ings opener and the handball for the late Newcastle equaliser.

But even at the back end of last season when we returned to action following COVID - he had a hand in 3 of the 5 goals we conceded with him at the back. The penalty against United which allowed Fernandes to score the equaliser. And the awful positioning for two of the Sheffield Utd goals in the 3-1 loss.

That isn't bad luck. It's bad defending.

Yeah, I feel for him. It's a bullshit decision and he had a relatively good game up until that point.

But on paper, it will still confirm that 3 of the 4 goals we've conceded this season have involved Eric Dier. The awful defending for the Everton winner, the poor defending for the Ings opener and the handball for the late Newcastle equaliser.

But even at the back end of last season when we returned to action following COVID - he had a hand in 3 of the 5 goals we conceded with him at the back. The penalty against United which allowed Fernandes to score the equaliser. And the awful positioning for two of the Sheffield Utd goals in the 3-1 loss.

Good post.

You're 100% correct. But a peak Toby, Jan or any other elite defender for that matter will manage that situation without it ending up in a penalty. I don't know what Dier does wrong, but he doesn't do it right.

That’s it in a nutshell. Dier wasn’t too clever for the Everton winner opening week, or too clever when we fell behind at Southampton last week (which could have been a lot more serious if they’d capitalised on first half dominance and chances to extend their lead) and now today. There’s been 6 clean sheets in 29 league games since Mourinho took over and Dier has been centre half for not of those. It’s simply not a position on the field where you can do with a makeshift option. Defending with your back to the ball like Dier did at the end there today is a receive for disaster.

Well said. Why some on here hold him up like a spurs posterboy i do not know.

That’s it in a nutshell. Dier wasn’t too clever for the Everton winner opening week, or too clever when we fell behind at Southampton last week (which could have been a lot more serious if they’d capitalised on first half dominance and chances to extend their lead) and now today. There’s been 6 clean sheets in 29 league games since Mourinho took over and Dier has been centre half for not of those. It’s simply not a position on the field where you can do with a makeshift option. Defending with your back to the ball like Dier did at the end there today is a receive for disaster.

He was centre back for a third of them.

But I agree with pretty much all of your post.

Back
Top Bottom