Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the more daming thing of him as a CB is that Mourinho couldnt get a tune out of him.

Im no great fan of Mourinho or how he operates, but I think its fair to say he knows how to work with defenders and how to make them look good.

And Dier really never looked good under him at all, if not under him - then who else stands a chance?

I quite liked under Poch having Dier in midfield, slipping into defence - gave us a real dynamism in our structure that worked brilliantly at times.

But I dont see Dier as solely a CB, which apparently he does, so will be interesting to see what the new management make of that one. Could be time he moved on.
Dier in midfield was OK when we bossed games and he had quality behind him and around him. There were times when the quality dipped that he'd make blind backward passes that caught us out and let the oppo in.
The problem is, if the oppo didn't score from it then it seems to get forgotten. Stats, as far as I'm aware don't record non-scoring errors?

Dier in midfield was OK when we bossed games and he had quality behind him and around him. There were times when the quality dipped that he'd make blind backward passes that caught us out and let the oppo in.
The problem is, if the oppo didn't score from it then it seems to get forgotten. Stats, as far as I'm aware don't record non-scoring errors?

Not that Im aware.

He has always had that tendency for one big bad moment a game. As you say can get away with it further up the field, but it gets badly exposed in defence.

And its not something I saw improving with him over the season either, it was there every game.

I like Dier, I should say, but I wont lose any sleep if he moves on.

Dier stood still while balls come into the box is an increasingly frequent occurrence.

Yes he does do that. It’s almost like he stands back in admiration at the quality of the ball coming into the box and then at the last minute thinks to himself “Oh shit I think I’m supposed to clear that”, and then of course it’s too late.

Not that Im aware.

He has always had that tendency for one big bad moment a game. As you say can get away with it further up the field, but it gets badly exposed in defence.

And its not something I saw improving with him over the season either, it was there every game.

I like Dier, I should say, but I wont lose any sleep if he moves on.
That's the way I view it too. I like Dier, I like Sissoko, I like Winks and Davies. But they need to move on. Davies can maybe stay as a backup CB if we play 3 atb.

Aurier and Lamela are the only two players I really don't like and would actually be upset if we kept them. Both are liabilities and not good enough.

Even at his very best the main reason I didn’t want him sold was because he was Dele’s best mate. Dembele and Wanyama were always the better midfielders, Toby and Jan were always the better defenders. Maybe he could have kicked on before his issues but I don’t see him ever being good enough.

Even at his very best the main reason I didn’t want him sold was because he was Dele’s best mate. Dembele and Wanyama were always the better midfielders, Toby and Jan were always the better defenders. Maybe he could have kicked on before his issues but I don’t see him ever being good enough.
Problem was.... instead of raising each others game by playing together (like Dembele/Wanyama & Jan/Toby did) Dele's form seemed to dip to Dier's level when his dropped too.... they both just seemed to lose interest and form at the same time.

Shame, cos with how England are doing now, their timing at missing out on this particular squad couldn't have been worse!
AND they had an additional year to put it right.... but they still forgot to!

I actually really like Eric Dier.... but a bit like the two naughty kids in class who are a bad influence, they start to bring out the worst in eachother, rather than the best.

If Declan Rice ever signs for Chelsea, I bet his and Mason Mount's friendship will be the bedrock they base their midfield on....

That woulda/ coulda /shoulda been us with Dier & Dele.... it was for about a season and a half... but then it just all dropped off, and fell by the wayside.... did it coincide with Poch leaving... or were the signs there well before that?

The 8th picture...

Wait, what.... JAN'S coming back???!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom