Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hes already made a big mistake this season, when he ventured out of position vs wolves and gave the ball away. Luckily the goal chance fell to traore who isnt a finisher.

This and we would be having a different conversation had Traore have scored that. Yes we know he missed, but that awful mistake is what Eric Dier and Sanchez are capable of. 3 clean sheets I’ll give them credit, but I’m not convinced at all Eric Dier and Sanchez are our long term partnership and suddenly miraculously solid as a pair. Not a chance.

This and we would be having a different conversation had Traore have scored that. Yes we know he missed, but that awful mistake is what Eric Dier and Sanchez are capable of. 3 clean sheets I’ll give them credit, but I’m not convinced at all Eric Dier and Sanchez are our long term partnership and suddenly miraculously solid as a pair. Not a chance.
It's hardly a miracle, they're getting a lot more protection from Skipp-Hojbjerg than they did from any other midfield pairing.

It's hardly a miracle, they're getting a lot more protection from Skipp-Hojbjerg than they did from any other midfield pairing.
Yes. But it's potentially an issue if they're only good enough when we play two fully defensive mids in our midfield, and have Dele playing a box to box. Often times that's not enough creativity to break down parked bus defences from open play (see Wolves). That's why you'd need another creative force in instead of one of Skipp or Hoj.

But if that means Sanchez and Dier can't deal with having less defensive mids in front of them, it means we concede when we try to score.

Which is essentially what happened last season.

Early days, and they've done well. The real test for Dier and Sanchez will come when we stop scoring and we swap out Hoj or Skipp for Gil in our middle 3 to break down a parked bus.

He's been brilliant so far this season. Hopefully he's over various illnesses and injuries that have constrained his abilities for the last few years. He's certainly committed so it's good to see his performances are picking up.

Very happy to eat humble pie on this one having said we should sell him earlier this summer. Very much hoping his good form continues, and Davinson as well.

Dier I agree with. Sanchez has hope.

I don’t think anyone is convinced. But I don’t think anyone thought we would keep 3 clean sheets in our first three matches this season with those two playing.

Even if we look at Dier’s mistake against Wolves, for the pair of them to only make one mistake between them in 3 games, that’s already a vast improvement on last season. Maybe they will make a solid pair, let’s see. I never thought John Stones would take Laporte‘s place in the City XI last season, but it happened. At the very least Dier and Davinson have shown that they can do much better than they did last year.

I've always had a liking for Dier. And although he's had good and bad games in his time at Spurs (far more good), I get the feeling that when Spurs have a bad game, he's the default player most people jump at to blame, the whipping boy.

I've always had a liking for Dier. And although he's had good and bad games in his time at Spurs (far more good), I get the feeling that when Spurs have a bad game, he's the default player most people jump at to blame, the whipping boy.
Someone says hi...

200.gif

Not sure this means much. On his day he can be a top four level Centreback a poundland Harry Maugire the problem is in big games against the most able technically able he can get found out. Like him id keep but I'd really hope Romero is better and that ultimately so is Tanganga

Back
Top Bottom