Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He does good things of course. However, there are always errors in this game. If you analysed Van Dijk. You would never see this amount of errors.
That is why VdV cost 75m (prob double now) and won the PL and CL

Our cunt owners did not wish to spend real money on real players instead we will always be bottling losers with player likes Dier, Winks, etc.

Last edited:
Here's my gripe with Dier. Some people have had the audacity to say he's been having a good season. Firstly we've conceded a lot of goals this season (more than a lot of teams).

In each game he's done something wrong :

1) Man City - Gives the ball away really cheaply early on. Luckily Foden misses.
2) Wolves - Its his poor play which gifts Traore that massive chance that Lloris saves.
3) Watford - Ok to be fair nothing wrong here.
4) Crystal Palace - Only played a bit of the 1st half so no time
5) Chelsea - Marking on corner for 1st goal poor. 2nd goal massive deflection off him.
6) Woolwich - Like Sanchez all over the place and all 3 goals so easy for Woolwich
7) Aston Villa - Fails to either cut the ball out or mark Watkins leaving him an easy tap in
8) Newcastle - His own goal

Its not even over analysing. Every game he makes 1 big error , 1 poor decision. Earlier on they were not being exploited. Now they are. HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!
1) But he was really good vs City. We defended really, really well. We deservedly won that game as we shut them out the game to just a couple of chances, if you think we are shutting them out completely you are living on cloud cuckoo land!!. Suggest that you should take some time and even read what Man City reporters who support the club said about that performance.
2) Neves did what Neves dose - Again, we defended really, really well and Wolves were left to long-range efforts from outside the box (we weren't as good in midfield as we were vs City, so Wolves controlled the game, whereas we "controlled" game after the first 10mins vs City). The best thing about the Wolves game was our defence, everything else was a bit shit.
3) check
4) Palace - The moment he went off we were shite.
5) We DON'T nor do most teams mark man for man at Corners!!!!! There's a mix of zonal and one or two players that will be man-marked. I've not worked out our patterns under Nuno for defending corners but I will be very surprised that any of the man-marking is done by any of our CB's, it so rarely is, they are usually the ones tasked to go zonal. To say he wasn't marking anyone at a corner is utter bollocks when you don't know who is supposed to be playing zonally or tasked to pick a player man for man. You then blame him for a ball deflecting off him WTF!!!!!
6) Woolwich - Our defence was all over the place because the structure of our team was to play without a midfield in the entire first half!! This is on the manager!!
7) Aston Villa - The error was Romero's!!! He dived into a challenge, miles late, missed the ball ended up on his arse and out of the game, leaving Dier on his own in the middle. Emerson is now defending a 2v1 out wide on his heels, all he can do is try to slow up the play in a hope that Romero and PEH (because he's also out the game from Romero error) can get back to help. Emerson can't get close to the crosser on the overlap as he crosses it the first time when played through to him, it's a fantastic cross played perfectly between Hugo and Dier. Posisstionaly Dier is where he should be. But the entire team is on the back foot, out of position all because of Romero!!!
8) Romero missed his header completely - It drops to Dier, as a result, he has no time to react to it, this is NOT an error, there's very little a player can do here. He set up the first goal with his pass outside to Reggie.

The fucking gymnastics people go through is utterly mindboggling: Confirmation bias - Wikipedia Again, just look to the number of collective errors made by Emerson & Romero in the first half in the Newcastle game alone, they were absolutely all over the place, the bloke that's anchoring this is Dier, mopping up their mistakes. The way many of you watch football is bizarre, no balance whatsoever, no understanding of how/why goals are created in the first place, totally focused on the moment the ball goes into the net as a freeze-frame of memory.

These are NOT errors, every single one debunked for you!!! Not a single error made leading to a goal, not what can be said of Romero this season.

(Again, to avoid any doubt I'm not making a criticism about Romero or Emerson, I think they are good editions but both are still finding their feet - both played travelled from the other side of the world to play against Villa and Romero will be diving in/getting rolled/missing interceptions etc in many more games to come because this is his style and on balance, this aggressive style brings more to the entire team function and I fully embrace the risk) as an overall positive for how we play.

Also, I'm not even attempting to make out Dier is an elite CB, he's not. Just here to pick up on every single case of confirmation bias said against him. And there are loads is I have shown).

Last edited:
1) But he was really good vs City. We defended really, really well. We deservedly won that game as we shut them out the game to just a couple of chances, if you think we are shutting them out completely you are living on cloud cuckoo land!!. Suggest that you should take some time and even read what Man City reporters who support the club said about that performance.
2) Neves did what Neves dose - Again, we defended really, really well and Wolves were left to long-range efforts from outside the box (we weren't as good in midfield as we were vs City, so Wolves controlled the game, whereas we "controlled" game after the first 10mins vs City). The best thing about the Wolves game was our defence, everything else was a bit shit.
3) check
4) Palace - The moment he went off we were shite.
5) We DON'T nor do most teams mark man for man at Corners!!!!! There's a mix of zonal and one or two players that will be man-marked. I've not worked out our patterns under Nuno for defending corners but I will be very surprised that any of the man-marking is done by any of our CB's, it so rarely is, they are usually the ones tasked to go zonal. To say he wasn't marking anyone at a corner is utter bollocks when you don't know who is supposed to be playing zonally or tasked to pick a player man for man. You then blame him for a ball deflecting off him WTF!!!!!
6) Woolwich - Our defence was all over the place because the structure of our team was to play without a midfield in the entire first half!! This is on the manager!!
7) Aston Villa - The error was Romero's!!! He dived into a challenge, miles late, missed the ball ended up on his arse and out of the game, leaving Dier on his own in the middle. Emerson is now defending a 2v1 out wide on his heels, all he can do is try to slow up the play in a hope that Romero and PEH (because he's also out the game from Romero error) can get back to help. Emerson can't get close to the crosser on the overlap as he crosses it the first time when played through to him, it's a fantastic cross played perfectly between Hugo and Dier. Posisstionaly Dier is where he should be. But the entire team is on the back foot, out of position all because of Romero!!!
8) Romero missed his header completely - It drops to Dier, as a result, he has no time to react to it, this is NOT an error, there's very little a player can do here. He set up the first goal with his pass outside to Reggie.

The fucking gymnastics people go through is utterly mindboggling: Confirmation bias - Wikipedia Again, just look to the number of collective errors made by Emerson & Romero in the first half in the Newcastle game alone, they were absolutely all over the place, the bloke that's anchoring this is Dier, mopping up their mistakes. The way many of you watch football is bizarre, no balance whatsoever, no understanding of how/why goals are created in the first place, totally focused on the moment the ball goes into the net as a freeze-frame of memory.

These are NOT errors, every single one debunked for you!!! Not a single error made leading to a goal, not what can be said of Romero this season.

(Again, to avoid any doubt I'm not making a criticism about Romero or Emerson, I think they are good editions but both are still finding their feet - both played travelled from the other side of the world to play against Villa and Romero will be diving in/getting rolled/missing interceptions etc in many more games to come because this is his style and on balance, this aggressive style brings more to the entire team function and I fully embrace the risk) as an overall positive for how we play.

Also, I'm not even attempting to make out Dier is an elite CB, he's not. Just here to pick up on every single case of confirmation bias said against him. And there are loads is I have shown).
The biggest knock I have on Dier is the other CB he has to play with...

Honestly, he's probably not good enough to be starting if the club is matching aspirations, but he's currently the best CB we have, and even if we were top 4, he's still good enough to be a backup option.

There's a mistake in him almost every week. It's just not good enough if we want to improve.

Conte is definitely going to look for at least 1, possibly 2 centre-halves and if so he's not going to feature.

Dier is frustrating. I don't think he is the answer as the middle CB. Would rather have Romero central and him at RCB if at all. I think I'd also rather have him over Davies at LCB but I'm not sure whos worse. I expect significant changes at CB in Jan, that's for sure...

Back
Top Bottom