Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's all about those lunging tackles when he tracks a winger down the line, must be pretty unnerving knowing he's going to smash you whenever he gets the chance. What a beast.

If anyone was in any doubt as to Poch's decision to play Dier as a DM, I trust yesterday has put that to bed.

Goes to show why he's the manager, and we're just a bunch of pricks moaning about his decisions like he's picks them out of a hat.

Well done to the lad. And well done Poch.

I wanted a DM in the summer too but I think the black box team have been smart here with the overall obsession with the position

Woolwich managed to make their 3rd choice DM last season look like a hero just for getting the basics right, let's be honest we had a journeyman like Scott Parker look like a god for a while. Nicky Butt called out player of tournament for England in 2002 for some good defending

Just saying that the prices being banded around for a player in that position like Wanyama were a bit silly and if you do have a high skilled defensive player in the ranks they can do a job there no problem. We are lucky to have Dier clearly as good as any DM out there after only 5 games which puts the positions worth into perspective now somewhat.

It's all about those lunging tackles when he tracks a winger down the line, must be pretty unnerving knowing he's going to smash you whenever he gets the chance. What a beast.

Agree with a lot of what's been said about Dier.

He's been wonderful but my favorite part of his play is the toughness he brings to the center of the pitch. We've been lacking it for far too long.

This squad may be young and inexperienced but there's a bit of toughness and cuntiness to them. Dier, Mason, Bentaleb, Rose, and even Davies throw their bodies into tackles with no regard for their own bodies. Alli seems to have an edge to his game too. You saw the way he pushed Kaboul out of bounds yesterday too. He won't be pushed around.

I wanted a DM in the summer too but I think the black box team have been smart here with the overall obsession with the position

Woolwich managed to make their 3rd choice DM last season look like a hero just for getting the basics right, let's be honest we had a journeyman like Scott Parker look like a god for a while. Nicky Butt called out player of tournament for England in 2002 for some good defending

Just saying that the prices being banded around for a player in that position like Wanyama were a bit silly and if you do have a high skilled defensive player in the ranks they can do a job there no problem. We are lucky to have Dier clearly as good as any DM out there after only 5 games which puts the positions worth into perspective now somewhat.

Waynama is overrated, had we got Witsel though that would have been nice.

Also with Witsel and Dier we could bring one on to close out the game, two DM's in front of our defence in the closing stages would enable us to be a bit more canny.

Didn't happen oh well.

And tying him to another deal...smart move. If he progresses throughout the season he will be very hot property. What would the mega money clubs pay for such a young hard bastard? The big hope is that he keeps developing at the current rate & that we keep hold of him when the big boys come sniffing round. He has that toughness & drive about him which reminds a bit of Graham Roberts.

All the top teams in the premiership era have had a high quality destroyer. The Keane/Viera type cunts who every other fan hates but would have them at their club in a heartbeat. I think Eric could be another. A team with the spine of Lloris, Jan/Toby, Dier & Kane has huge potential & is very young.

Be the first to admit I hated the idea of Dier as a DM and he looked quite poor in preseason there but fuck has he impressed! I know it is different positions and early days but reminiscent of Kane's rising stardom last season. He literally seems to get better and better each match.

Aggressive Eric: Tottenham's success story - Football365

Aggressive Eric: Tottenham’s success story

Date published: Sunday 13th September 2015 5:12

PA.24086570-700x367.jpg

While doubts remain that Tottenham have enough creativity to bother the top six, Eric Dier’s move into central midfield has been inspired…

“We were aggressive,” said Hugo Lloris, who was best placed to judge exactly how traditionally tip-toeing Tottenham contrived to out-tackle a Sunderland side containing Yann M’Vila. Lloris did not namecheck Eric Dier but the statistics tell the story: Eight tackles, two interceptions, five clearances and four blocked shots from a position we should probably cease to call ‘unfamiliar’. Midfielder Dier is Tottenham’s success story of this nascent season.

“I made the decision from the start of pre-season that we needed to give the option to Eric Dier to play,” said Mauricio Pochettino, who saw enough promise in the 21-year-old to allow French international Etienne Capoue to leave along with Benjamin Stambouli. The Argentine can now allow himself a smug smile; while Tottenham are still struggling to justify a lack of investment in strikers, his left-field decision to trust the stubbornly black-booted Dier looks inspired rather than desperate.

Let’s face it, something had to be done. Despite finishing in fifth last season, Tottenham contrived to concede more goals than relegated Hull. The purchase of Toby Alderweireld provided the no-brainer upgrade on Vlad Chiriches, Younes Kaboul and Fazio as Jan Vertonghen’s partner, but moving Dier into midfield was very much the brainer part of the transition from soft underbelly to hard abdominals. Nobody saw it coming.

While no Tottenham fan could be ecstatic with six points from their first five matches, the ‘goals against’ column makes for unusually pleasant reading. With just four goals conceded, only the Premier League’s top three can boast a more miserly record. Dier deserves a large dollop of the credit.

Comparing his tackling statistics with Francis Coquelin illustrates the might of Dier. The Frenchman has been successful with 21 of his 26 tackles while Dier has won the ball with 19 of his 23 attempts – there is a barely a cigarette paper between the pair. And although Coquelin’s passing accuracy is marginally better, it’s safe to say that Dier offers a greater attacking threat. It would be foolish to declare Dier a finished product on the back of clean sheets against Everton and Sunderland, but there is enough evidence to suggest that Pochettino and Tottenham got one thing – if not many more – right this summer.

Dier was not alone in his aggression against Sunderland, who suffered the ignominy of being out-tackled 25-22 by a Tottenham side who could boast the youngest average age (24 years and 135 days) in the Premier League, but it was his discipline that caught the eye. On a weekend when Roy Hodgson admitted that he was monitoring Liverpool’s 19-year-old winger Jordon Ibe, it surely cannot be long before he glances towards White Hart Lane in his quest to find an Englishman to play at the base of his midfield.

“I would look down the line at Dier at Tottenham. He’s a player who could ultimately be the replacement for these two,” said Martin Keown earlier this year. At that juncture he was talking about Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka, but perhaps Scott Parker would be a more apt comparison. Tottenham fans might be naturally disinclined to worship a tough-tackling midfielder, but in the absence of last season’s Harry Kane or a winger worthy of the name, Dier aggressively but fairly plugs that gap.

Sarah Winterburn

And this bint usually hates Spurs!

Oh and fuck keown the monkey looking cunt.

Back
Top Bottom