Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs sold a number of middle men in the summer while failing to sign any - and with Ryan Mason injured, the head coach was forced to look at other options in the Lilywhites’ friendly games.

Dier, who played as a centre-back and a reserve right-back last season, has quickly grown into the role and is the only Tottenham player to start all eight games so far this campaign.

“I am not surprised [about his performances] because he has the quality, the profile, to play in different positions,” said Pochettino. “In the beginning of pre-season we started to prove him in this situation and he was very good in training, he adapted his game very well as a central midfielder.

“He started to play games there in pre-season and we started to realise his performances were good and I decided to select him for that position.”

Asked if Dier would have got his chance in the role if Mason had been fit during pre-season, Pochettino said: “You never know, but it was a very good opportunity to throw him into that situation and I am very happy because he has developed his game as a holding midfielder in a very good way.

“He can play as a holding midfielder or centre-back – both positions. They are his best positions.”
Pochettino discusses Eric Dier’s move into Tottenham midfield

Player Focus: Is Dier the Answer or a Temporary Solution in Spurs Midfield?

As the transfer window neared its conclusion earlier this month, Tottenham fans were hopeful new faces would arrive. A striker and a central midfielder were perhaps the priorities, with the former perhaps less so following the big money arrival of Heung-min Son. In hindsight, for now at least, the latter needn’t have been too much of a concern either.

Dele Alli’s performances in the middle of the park have seen him quickly endear himself to supporters, with the former MK Dons star looking everything fans hoped Paulinho would be and more. A hugely impressive showing against Crystal Palace on Sunday went a long way to cementing a regular first team berth, even when Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb return to fitness.

It’s Alli’s midfield partner at the weekend, though, who may well prove harder to displace in the starting line-up this season. Eric Dier was first used in the role in pre-season by Mauricio Pochettino and while he initially looked out of his depth in midfield, the 21-year-old has grown into the position as he aims to consolidate his place in the side. Of all Spurs players to make at least two league starts this season, only Jan Vertonghen (7.34) has gained a better WhoScored rating than Dier (7.32). Despite performing in a somewhat unfamiliar role, the young Englishman has impressed in front of the back four.

It’s no coincidence that with Dier as the deepest lying midfielder, only current title favourites Manchester City (2) have conceded fewer goals than Spurs (4) in the Premier League this term. The youngster has performed the necessary defensive duties required of him, with a tally of 25 tackles the best of all Spurs players and enough to rank fifth in England’s top tier. Since Sandro’s injury sustained in 2013, Spurs have lacked a natural holder to protect the defence, and Dier’s positional discipline arguably stands him in better stead than the Brazilian.

Of course, midfield is not a role that is completely alien to the player. Dier played in the middle of the park a handful of times during his spell at Sporting, though failed to really convince in the position, including once in a derby encounter with Benfica where he was shown up by opposite number Nemanja Matic. With a lack of options, though, Pochettino was forced into fielding Dier in midfield. As a short term solution, he has certainly performed above expectations. He has gradually improved as the season has worn on, though Dier's form in the midfield could yet end up hindering his growth as a player.

To the uninitiated, Dier is first and foremost a centre-back. He played in this position on numerous occasions last season alongside Jan Vertonghen, though the subsequent arrival of Toby Alderweireld meant his playing time at the heart of the backline was always going to be limited. Yet Dier is a player who warrants regular first team action, of that there is no doubt. He showed enough last term to suggest he is well on his way to realising his potential. Given Pochettino’s favouritism towards younger players - the starting XI’s average age of 24 years and 118 days against Palace was the youngest in the Premier League this season - this will benefit Dier.

However, he, among others, feels his long-term future is not in the midfield. Last season Dier rejected a call up to the England U21 squad as he wanted to continue his development at centre-back with his club. At such a young age, also, his poor concentration - a WhoScored weakness of his - is an area that needs improvement if he is to flourish. A case in point came in Spurs’ 3-1 Europa League win over FC Karabakh last Thursday. In the build up to Richard Almeida’s penalty, the Azerbaijani side instigated a swift counter attack, of which Dier broke rank to cut out before the move manifested into something more dangerous. His inexperience, though, meant his recklessness was capitalised upon, culminating in Kieran Tripper body-checking Ansi Agolli in the 18-yard box.

The mental side of his game can be worked on in time, but against the Premier League’s better midfields, Dier’s at times poor concentration could be highlighted. Against Manchester City this coming weekend, the England hopeful is expected to come up against Kevin De Bruyne, Yaya Toure and - if he recovers in time - David Silva, which, despite Spurs’ recent good form, will be a huge test of the team, and not least Dier's credentials.

Nevertheless a pass success rate of 87.3% and an average of 50 passes per game - both among the better returns for Spurs - shows he’s performing the duties expected of him, which, for the time being, is aiding the North London side's attempts to haul themselves up the Premier League table. However, Dier’s deployment in midfield can perhaps be seen as temporary solution to a permanent problem, without taking anything away from the defender, who has indeed impressed in the middle of the park up until this point.
This is a little bit bullshit.
For one, i don't think poch was "forced" into it at all. It all seems very planned and intentional. This is one thing that annoys me because there will be fans saying "ah we need a CM" then this translates into the media saying we desperately need someone and then we start getting linked with people. Then when we don't sign someone, it looks like we've failed, and all the "Levy isn't backing the manager" bullshit gets flung around.

Also the line "To the uninitiated, Dier is first and foremost a centre-back" is nonsense. Ive never understood why some people seem to determined to put players into such boxes. Dier's a human being, and a talented footballer. We've clearly seen he can play in midfield, and to label him as "first and foremost a centre-back" does him a massive injustice. Also its ignorant to the way we play, and really Dier is the perfect player for the role, because dier is essentially a third centre-back, he drops deep when we move to a sort of 3-3-3-1, and is freed up to roam a bit and move towards the ball because Jan and Toby are behind him.

Because Dier is good on the ball, is fast, is built out of a platinum and kevlar alloy and because of the way we play, its actually the perfect position for him. The thing is, if we were to play a different way, or heaven forbid Dier moves elsewhere, and ends up back at centre back, people will say "it was just an experiment" and he's back in his "natural position" and blah blah. But that doesnt do credit to Diers talent on the ball and his skill set. When you're as fast and as comfortable on the ball as Dier is, its a waste to stick him at CB.

Having Dier as DM allows Verts to do some of the forward runs he made today. Dier drops back to cover for him perfectly every time. So far he's been the most consistent player of ours and I think he continues to prove that he has the potential to be a future captain.

You would think at the beginning that Dier has had a lucky few games, but now he has officially shown not only ot us that he will shine at this position. Such a great decision to whoever wanted him to play DM. He's everything we need.

Dier: "It is a statement [to win 4-1 against Manchester City]. I don't think we get the credit we deserve. We are a extremely young squad. I hear people saying stuff about Tottenham Hotspur and I don't like it. I don't think the other boys like it either. I see Tottenham Hotspur choke against the big teams and we don't put our foot in and we can't grind out a result. I think in the last couple of weeks we've proved them [people] wrong."

#Yiddo #Leader

He's basically said what a lot of us FANS do.

I said it midweek when we lost to Woolwich. Beating a second string Woolwich team in the League Cup wouldn't be a statement. Beating Man City at home and especially the way we did would and it has.

Dier is going to be a club legend no doubt. Love everything about him. Brave, tough, inspirational, full of bottle, composed and now shown he will speak out against bullshit.
Addressed a key need of ours in the most perfect way.

Players don't suddenly become terrible and then become good again. For years, due to bad tactics, the defenders at Spurs have looked bad, now they don't, because of Eric Dier and what he does for us. Dier starts providing the cover for the back 4 and suddenly Vertonghen starts looking world class again. The defense looks much more solid. Same happened with Vert in his first season with Sandro protecting him. Even if we had Kaboul playing for us right now, he will look decent due to what Dier is doing! Brilliant move to change his position. I hope we don't make him do a Phil Jones and stick him to this position he is clearly good at.

There is literally only two things wrong with Dier. There's only one of him, and that accent. He seems to have every accent going? If he keeps playing like he is he can speak how he wants. He could call my mum a cunt to her face for all i care.

Last edited:

Dier: "It is a statement [to win 4-1 against Manchester City]. I don't think we get the credit we deserve. We are a extremely young squad. I hear people saying stuff about Tottenham Hotspur and I don't like it. I don't think the other boys like it either. I see Tottenham Hotspur choke against the big teams and we don't put our foot in and we can't grind out a result. I think in the last couple of weeks we've proved them [people] wrong."

#Yiddo #Leader

That's a great quote, and Dier is different because he actually follows through with performances that back up his words.

Best part of Dier is the fact that he isn't just an English clogging defensive midfielder, you can tell he's a really good footballer and that is down to his development in Portugal. He has that grit, heart and determination of an English footballer but the finesse, calmness and the technique of a foreign export.

We are very lucky to have him and for what we paid for him, an absolute bargain.

The man is a Rock.. 100% every game and he is warming to his new role.. Love watching his passion and determination..
And black boots awesome grows every game .
eric_dier_image_1.jpg

Best part of Dier is the fact that he isn't just an English clogging defensive midfielder, you can tell he's a really good footballer and that is down to his development in Portugal. He has that grit, heart and determination of an English footballer but the finesse, calmness and the technique of a foreign export.

We are very lucky to have him and for what we paid for him, an absolute bargain.
He's already just about a Champion's League quality CB or DM. At 21. And we paid £4 million for him. It's the inverse of the Gareth Bale deal. We committed highway robbery.

Back
Top Bottom