EURO 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not many younger players in that Belgium squad, wonder if they might struggle this year.

Not many younger players in that Belgium squad, wonder if they might struggle this year.
Aside from Trossard and Teielemans they don't really have that many promising young guns coming up right now. Could be a few rough years for them once the current crop start retiring.

Aside from Trossard and Teielemans they don't really have that many promising young guns coming up right now. Could be a few rough years for them once the current crop start retiring.
Yeah and better hope lukaku doesn't get injured.
Bit like england when we had scholes, lampard , Gerrard etc and didn't win nothing.

If England didn't have Southgate as manager and had someone who would allow our attacking players to flourish then we could have made some serious noise in this tournament. Kane is one of the best in the business, as we all know, and he can be complimented by Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Sterling, Saka and Mount. That's some serious attacking talent, whoever you choose.

If we don't beat a slow and ageing Croatia side in the opening game then it will be extremely dissapointing, decent as they are still. The World Cup was a few years ago now and I believe we allowed that game to slip more than they won it in the end. I remember at half time being really annoyed only to be one up. Not to mention we have a much more balanced and talented squad now than we did three years ago. There was no Foden, Sancho, Mount, Rice, Grealish...

Last edited:
If England didn't have Southgate as manager and had someone who would allow our attacking players to flourish then we could have made some serious noise in this tournament. Kane is one of the best in the business, as well all know excluding sammyspurs, and he can be complimented by Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Sterling, Saka and Mount. That's some serious attacking talent, whoever you choose.

If we don't beat a slow and ageing Croatia side in the opening game then it will be extremely dissapointing. The World Cup was a few years ago and I believe we allowed the game to slip more than they won it in the end. Not to mentioned we have a much more balanced and talented squad now than 3 years ago.
England is top 3 favourites, don't care what anyone says. France, England and Portugal.
Then; Spain, Belgium and Germany.

But.. we aren't ageing side. We have only 5 players on the list of 26 who are above 30. Still, most of our players are in the best age, 24-30.

Livakovic - Vrsaljko, Lovren, Caleta-Car, Barisic - Modric, Brozovic, Kovacic, Vlasic - Perisic, Petkovic.

That's out lineup for England if all are healthy.

England is top 3 favourites, don't care what anyone says. France, England and Portugal.
Then; Spain, Belgium and Germany.

But.. we aren't ageing side. We have only 5 players on the list of 26 who are above 30. Still, most of our players are in the best age, 24-30.

Livakovic - Vrsaljko, Lovren, Caleta-Car, Barisic - Modric, Brozovic, Kovacic, Vlasic - Perisic, Petkovic.

That's out lineup for England if all are healthy.

Maybe not an aging side, but what I mean is your better players are now past their very best. Perisic, Rakatic and of course Modric are all the over side of 30. That's not to say they can't and still won't perform. I thought Modric was by far Real Madrid's best player in both games against Chelsea overall. I just don't see you being as good as you were a few years back.

You have a very good midfield. I don't see a lot to be petrified of in attack, although with our defense it might not take a lot! But that back line we can certainly get at. If Lovren has one of his worse days we could have a field day against him. Knowing him he's likely to be outstanding and like a wall in our game though, and a liability for the rest of your games!

Maybe not an aging side, but what I mean is your better players are now past their very best. Perisic, Rakatic and of course Modric are all the over side of 30. That's not to say they can't and still won't perform. I thought Modric was by far Real Madrid's best player in both games against Chelsea overall. I just don't see you being as good as you were a few years back.

You have a very good midfield. I don't see a lot to be petrified of in attack, although with our defense it might not take a lot! But that back line we can certainly get at. If Lovren has one of his worse days we could have a field day against him. Knowing him he's likely to be outstanding and like a wall in our game though, and a liability for the rest of your games!
With our form in last 3 years, I would be happy with getting out of the group stage.

But, most of the time we perform on the biggest stage, so probably 1/4 finals would be good result.

Yeah, just like yours, defenders are the biggest liabilty.

My 11, if everyone is fit:

Pickford, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Foden, Sancho, Kane.

Went for Ward-Prowse for his set -piece ability alone. With the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Foden and Sterling we should get loads of free-kicks in dangerous areas. I was tempted to opt for Bellingham but he's still 17 at the end of the day and I can imagine him being somewhat knackered after playing regularly for Dortmund this season. Nothing in it between Shaw and Chilwell but went for the former just because he doesn't play for Chelsea, and Chilwell's face annoys me. Walker worries me a bit with his lapses of concentration but 1vs1 he's unbeatable. I also can't help but to like Reece James as a player and would happily see him start though.

I like my 11. So much technical ability, skill and flair up front. Legs and energy in abundance in midfield. Not without quality too. Sheer pace to bring off the bench later on in games against tiring sides when required in Rashford and Sterling, and also Grealish when Foden tires, who is almost like for like.

Southgate's likely 11:

Pickford, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Rashford, Sterling, Kane.

Still a good team but doesn't have anywhere near the same excitement or technical ability as mine. Might be a little more safe and defensively sound, but unless we're playing one of the other few favourites we should concentrate more on what we can do and less of what others are doing.

Last edited:
With our form in last 3 years, I would be happy with getting out of the group stage.

But, most of the time we perform on the biggest stage, so probably 1/4 finals would be good result.

Yeah, just like yours, defenders are the biggest liabilty.

If you make it into the Quarters then it's anybody's really. It might suit you not being quite fancied by many in regards to the favourites. Croatia is never an easy game for anyone and the last two games between us were tight. From what I remember, and I could be wrong, I believe we won 2-1 at Wembley with a late goal and drew 0-0 in Croatia, both in the Nations League. Even the loss against you in the World Cup was a game of two halves almost. We were far better in the first half but then you got a grip of the game and never let it slip.

But being at home I just fancy us to do the business, while also remembering that this is England and being too optimistic usually leaves you with red cheeks from humiliation and a hangover.

My 11, if everyone is fit:

Pickford, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Foden, Sancho, Kane.

Went for Ward-Prowse for his set -piece ability alone. With the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Foden and Sterling we should get loads of free-kicks in dangerous areas. I was tempted to opt for Bellingham but he's still 17 at the end of the day and I can imagine him being somewhat knackered after playing regularly for Dortmund this season. Nothing in it between Shaw and Chilwell but went for the former just because he doesn't play for Chelsea, and Chilwell's face annoys me. Walker worries me a bit with his lapses of concentration but 1vs1 he's unbeatable. I also can't help but to like Reece James as a player and would happily see him start though.

I like my 11. So much technical ability, skill and flair up front. Legs and energy in abundance in midfield. Not without quality too. Sheer pace to bring off the bench later on in games against tiring sides when required in Rashford and Sterling, and also Grealish when Foden tires, who is almost like for like.

Southgate's likely 11:

Pickford, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Rashford, Sterling, Kane.

Still a good team but doesn't have anywhere near the same excitement or technical ability as mine. Might be a little more safe and defensively sound, but unless we're playing one of the other few favourites we should concentrate more on what we can do and less of what others are doing.
Phillips in the team over Foden seems like the kind of decision likely to age extremely badly.

Phillips in the team over Foden seems like the kind of decision likely to age extremely badly.

Well it would be Rashford or Sterling over Foden, but yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to see Foden on the bench to start off with against Croatia. We'll probably draw the game 0-0 and then Southgate play him against Scotland by public demand and pressure more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom