EURO 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

During the semi-final between Italy and Spain there was a moment that caught the attention of the public at Wembley stadium. The two captains, Chiellini and Jordi Alba, were called by referee Flick to decide, through the draw, which of the teams should take the penalties first. The toss of the coin had immediately rewarded Italy which would then also have had the right to choose which door to beat the penalty. Jordi Alba, however, said he did not understand what the referee meant and thought that the outcome of the coin had instead rewarded Spain and therefore the possibility of beating penalties under the segment of the stand reserved for Spanish fans. According to Chiellini, however, the captain of Spain had tried to cheat and between smiles and joking hugs, the leader of the Italian national team wanted to dampen that moment of embarrassment that had been created between Chiellini himself, Jordi Alba and the referee trio. "Mentiroso" shouted to him (or "liar") continuing to smile with the same Spanish left-back. The referee at that point, confused by what was happening in those brief moments, so decided to redo the draw but fate again proved Italy right, which in fact beat the first penalty kick under the grandstand reserved for fans. blues. Locatelli's shot was then saved by Unai Simon.

What made particularly uproar was the expression of Jordi Alba himself that despite Chiellini having 'discovered' his plan, he remained serious trying to keep his line which was clearly that of wanting to cheat the draw to allow his Spain to go and shoot penalties first and under the part of the stadium reserved for the Spanish people. At that moment Chiellini had already won, even before the Azzurri triumphed on penalties.

There are a lot of people writing about this moment, some looking at the body language etc. Many people just saying that at this moment watching the two players on TV they knew that Italy would win. It's hard not to agree with that given Chiellini's joking domina. But for me this just looks like two players about to go into a penalty shootout, the difference is one of them is marked down to take one, whilst the other isn't.

There are a lot of people writing about this moment, some looking at the body language etc. Many people just saying that at this moment watching the two players on TV they knew that Italy would win. It's hard not to agree with that given Chiellini's joking domina. But for me this just looks like two players about to go into a penalty shootout, the difference is one of them is marked down to take one, whilst the other isn't.

I don’t know. Surely the penalty lottery is a war of nerves. Historically great champions have made a mistake due to tiredness and tension. Chiellini's attitude, that is lightness without disrespect, was unsettling, see Jordi Alba's face. Of course, a psychologist will have slide material.

I don’t know. Surely the penalty lottery is a war of nerves. Historically great champions have made a mistake due to tiredness and tension. Chiellini's attitude, that is lightness without disrespect, was unsettling, see Jordi Alba's face. Of course, a psychologist will have slide material.
Sure and I can't disagree with that.

But the actual reality is that he's not in line to take a penalty, his demeanour reflects this more than any deliberate physiological warfare. (that will not get written about though, for years to come this moment will always be shown as him winning a physiological battle, it makes for a better more exciting story, rather than a man with no pressure on his shoulders against another who has).

Both keepers had a hug and a chat beforehand.... Was that epic mind games too?

Chiellini has always been a disrespectful prick.

All seven meetings between England and Denmark at Wembley Stadium have finished 1-0, with England winning five to Denmark’s two. Denmark have won their last two competitive games against England at the stadium (1983 and 2020), with no side ever winning three consecutive competitive games against the Three Lions at Wembley.

Greetings from Sealand.

UEFA have just charged England in relation to the laser pen, the booing of anthems and lighting fireworks in Wembley Stadium.

I agree with two of the charges, because they have potential to injure people.

Back
Top Bottom