Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
I would definitely prefer to be in this competition than not be in any European competition.

Good opportunity to see Scarlett, Devine, and Cirkin in action? I don't get to seem them much apart from pre season so don't mind it. Decent experience for them too.
Imagine getting knocked out of Europe’s equivalent to the Johnstone’s paint trophy though?
:leaveityeah:

So if City beat us next week and its a Leicester v Chelsea cup final am i right in thinking 7th place gets into this steaming pile of turd? If so we really need to finish 8th as i dont see us getting any higher than 7th. Bloody hell what a season.
Yes you are right in that, doesn't even need a Leicester v Chelsea final, just needs Southampton not to beat both Leicester and Chelsea

If we finish 6th (with Southampton winning FA Cup), or 7th (with Chelsea or Leicester winning it) then yes.

Just like winning the League Cup does not automatically mean we are in the UECL next season.
If one of the Top 5 win the FA Cup, League Cup win would mean Europa League.

The access order of our 7 Euro places is :-

Top 4 Premier League
FA Cup (likely to be won be a team in Top 5 so position vacated)
5th
League Cup (spot will be vacated if Man City win)
6th
7th

4 spots in CL, 2 in Europa, 1 in UECL

Likelihood at moment beat Man City we will be in Europa League.
Don't beat them we are in a fight with Everton to finish 7th and get a UECL place

I’m pretty sure that the outcomes of the league cup and the FA cup have nothing to do with each other regarding European places. If a top 5 team wins the FA cup the EL place goes to the next highest team in the league (6th) not the Carabao cup winners. If we win the Carabao cup we get ECL unless we’ve already qualified for Europe via our league position. If City win the cup the ECL place goes 7th in the league.

That’s how I’ve understood it from here anyway...

Surely not, UEFA has to protect the integrity of the money grab competition. I would imagine if we refused to participate we'd find ourselves banned from Europe 22/23.

If we have to play in this shit, send the youth team.
I’m not sure anyone would get away with that either. Not respecting the competition, etc.

I’m pretty sure that the outcomes of the league cup and the FA cup have nothing to do with each other regarding European places. If a top 5 team wins the FA cup the EL place goes to the next highest team in the league (6th) not the Carabao cup winners. If we win the Carabao cup we get ECL unless we’ve already qualified for Europe via our league position. If City win the cup the ECL place goes 7th in the league.

Yes that’s right. Carabao winner gets the booby prize irrespective of other competition results.

That is correct. If we win Carabao, and say Chelsea finish 4th and win FA Cup, the Europa spot would go to the 6th place team, not Carabao winners.

The standard of opposition in this tournament is going to be so bad I think it would be humiliating for first team players to even be involved. They already don’t take the Europa League seriously so I wouldn’t trust them anyway.

If we do qualify for it, play the U23s. We could afford to shrink our bloated squad if we didn’t have to think about European matches.

Back
Top Bottom