Europa Conference League vs St. Totteringham Day

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which is rather less painful and embarrassing

• Total voters
I want a win today. (It's the hope that kills you... every damn week.) I want the highest possible finish. I FOR SURE want to see the scum behind us.

I know this Conference League is a booby prize. But we blood our youngsters, we let our new manager (who I hope will be here for a while) really get to know our pipeline of talent, and we move forward. That's not the worst thing.

Let's roll the dice and beat Leicester. If we end up in the 3rd rate league we use it to play out youngsters. News is just in that Chelsea and Leicester may be docked points for their bad conduct. Maybe they Docked 10 points each, West Ham Looses and we win. Yippee we win the Spurs League (We end up above Woolwich and in the top 4)

I can understand Woolwich gloating if they were top 4 and we were 5th. But sneaking into the European Conference League in 7th and crowing about it is absurd. Both clubs are finishing below a David Moyes West Ham. Neither of us should be anything other than be ashamed. For me usually Europe is better than no Europe, except this Conference League shit will wreck your next season to give you the booby prize of Europa League if you win it ! It’s ridiculous and really, all things considered, I’d rather not. So 8th for me (although we could well be 9th yet if Everton do the impossible) we will lose today I suspect so Woolwich can have the bragging rights, let’s not forget how much finishing above them matters to the players. Eg 2016.
I was out with a Goon last night who is separate to lose and avoid it

I’d pick Conference League without a doubt. I don’t get why the fans are so arrogant to downplay this competition, no matter how tinpot it is. It’s not like we’ve won fucking shitloads of trophies to be selective about what competition we want to take serious. We can’t win UCL anytime soon, reaching the final again will be incredibly difficult if we get back in UCL and we seem to choke in EL everytime we get past the group stages.

I’d pick Conference League without a doubt. I don’t get why the fans are so arrogant to downplay this competition, no matter how tinpot it is. It’s not like we’ve won fucking shitloads of trophies to be selective about what competition we want to take serious. We can’t win UCL anytime soon, reaching the final alone again will be incredibly difficult if we even get back in UCL and we seem to choke in EL everytime we get past the group stages.
Spot on.

Furthermore, ECL could be a chance to watch the likes of Scarlett, Devine, Cerkin against professional opposition.

I’d pick Conference League without a doubt. I don’t get why the fans are so arrogant to downplay this competition, no matter how tinpot it is. It’s not like we’ve won fucking shitloads of trophies to be selective about what competition we want to take serious. We can’t win UCL anytime soon, reaching the final alone again will be incredibly difficult if we even get back in UCL and we seem to choke in EL everytime we get past the group stages.

It’s more than we will want to be going into top 4 (probably won’t) next season and having so many additional games will hurt the team.

I have no issue going into it long as we send the youth players and assistant manager.

It’s more than we will want to be going into top 4 (probably won’t) next season and having so many additional games will hurt the team.

I have no issue going into it long as we send the youth players and assistant manager.
Top 4? You’re having a laugh mate. There are very strong teams in the league at the minute, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and even Man Utd are well above us. Add in the prospect of losing Kane and we won’t be anywhere near top 4. Fans need to understand that this rebuild will be indeed painful and needs time and stability, I think it’s very unrealistic to expect top 4 next season, no matter who’s the manager.

Top 4? You’re having a laugh mate. There are very strong teams in the league at the minute, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and even Man Utd are well above us. Add in the prospect of losing Kane and we won’t be anywhere near top 4. Fans need to understand that this rebuild will be indeed painful and needs time and stability, I think it’s very unrealistic to expect top 4 next season, no matter who’s the manager.

That’s what Levy will want and the only way that will occur is

1 we choose the right DoF and coach.
2 we sell and buy correctly
3 we don’t have additional games like our competition so can focus on the league.

I don’t expect 1 & 2 to happen but if they did like Leicester or Chelsea when they beat us to the title we would have an advantage theoretically.

For me if we go into it long as we send the assistant manager and youth players I am fine.

Can’t really state that now, let’s see where we are in two months

Only my opinion but I'd like to get into the conference league and win it.

It seems like the only piece of silverware that spurs have a realistic odds-on chance of winning and beggars can't be choosers under the limitations of the Levy/ENIC ownership.

Back
Top Bottom