Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK, my best guesses

Kesla FK - One of the Baltics, let's say Latvia.

Torshavn - Norway?

Neftchi Baku - Azerbaijian's capital is Baku, this is like the only one I'm confident on.

Kaysar Kyzylorda - Something has to be Belarus here, I will pick this one.

Ordabasy Shymkent - So many of these sound like Kazakhstan, but I'm definitely guessing Kazakhstan here.

Sutjeska Niksic - Balkan surely, Bosnia and Herzegovina?

FK Riteriai - Hungary?

FH Hafnarfjardar - Surely Iceland?

Santa Coloma - Sounds Mediterranean, maybe Malta?

Shakhtior Saligorsk - Gotta guess Kazakhstan again, I would swear some of these are like Uzbek but they aren't in UEFA

Kalju Nomme - Sounds Finnish, I'll go Finland

Backa Topola - This also sounds Finnish, not sure if there are doubles.

Vojvodina Novi Sad - Novi Sad is in Russia right?

OFI Heraklion - I think Greece?

A few thoughts :

Kesla - Azerbaijan

Kyzlorda is in Kazakhstan, closest next big town/city is Shymkent also in Kazakhstan, which is next on your list.

Sutjeska Niksic - Balkan, but Montenegro I think

FK Riteriai - Lithuanian

Vojvodina Novi Sad is in Serbia - both Serbian and Russian are slavic languages so pretty close guess

Santa Coloma - Andorra

Shakhtior Saligorsk - Belarussian

Shakhtior Saligorsk - Estonian

Backa Topola - Serbian

OFI Heraklion - Crete/Greece

So it's possible to be drawn away in all 3 qualifiers?

Looks like it, but its not entirely clear what all the rules will be in this part of Europa league which is a changed format from last year.

Wiki has the rules as :

In the second qualifying round, teams are divided into seeded and unseeded teams based on their 2020 UEFA club coefficients, and will be drawn into single leg matches, which will be hosted by one of the teams decided by draw, and will be played behind closed doors. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

Similar rules in 3rd qualifying round.

No rules up yet for the Play off round, but logicallly a similar format to the previous rounds ?

FYI, Spurs have the highest 2020 club co-efficient until we meet drop outs from CL who may or may not have a higher co-efficient. So likelihood is Spurs will be a seeded team through to the Group stages.

The only advantage of 'seeding' seems to be playing an unseeeded team (who are the teams who have the lowest uefa coefficients in that round).

I thought somewhere said the goals differences is the one determine home/away. So say Spurs win 5-1 in 2nd round and Seville win 3-0 in 2nd round as well then Spurs will get home and Seville will not.

Looks like it, but its not entirely clear what all the rules will be in this part of Europa league which is a changed format from last year.

Wiki has the rules as :

In the second qualifying round, teams are divided into seeded and unseeded teams based on their 2020 UEFA club coefficients, and will be drawn into single leg matches, which will be hosted by one of the teams decided by draw, and will be played behind closed doors. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

Similar rules in 3rd qualifying round.

No rules up yet for the Play off round, but logicallly a similar format to the previous rounds ?

FYI, Spurs have the highest 2020 club co-efficient until we meet drop outs from CL who may or may not have a higher co-efficient. So likelihood is Spurs will be a seeded team through to the Group stages.

The only advantage of 'seeding' seems to be playing an unseeeded team (who are the teams who have the lowest uefa coefficients in that round).

Thanks for that..normally I would enjoy chavs unjustly getting a player sent off, loads of injuries and losing to a mid table team!
However...

I'd never want Spurs t draw an Irish League team, not even Linfield or Crusaders, simply because the poster boy for the Irish Legue way of playing is Kirk Hunter.

If anyone has never seen Kirk Hunter play, he was the type of player who should only have been allowed to play after the watershed.

There are no Kirk Hunters about the Irish League these days, thankfully. Its

I can remember him serving a couple of 16 match bans and another occasion when around March time he was banned for the rest of the season.

For anyone trying to picture his style, think Vinnie Jones without all the restraint, grace and compassion.

By the way, those who aren’t happy being in the second qualifying round of the Europa League, there is a worse scenario.

If it was next year, we wouldn’t even have landed in the Europa League, it would be the new UEFA Conference League we’d be heading to. Food for thought...

Back
Top Bottom