Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We only need to finish ahead of 1 of those teams, by 1 point or 1 goal difference, not all 4 of them. Almost all of your league points come against much weaker teams anyway.

On paper and based on wealth, yes Spurs and all the other top 6 teams should beat everyone in the Europa league, but it's rarer than it should be that it actually happens. Time and time again the Spanish teams seem to take it 100% seriously and win it. That or bloody Chelsea.

We just had an appalling season by recent standards, but were still just a couple of wins from 4th. There is always a big team or 2 that under achieves.

I think this is a year, and supposedly a manager, that should see us taking it seriously like those Spanish teams.

i also don't think it is that difficult to take both the EL and EPL seriously. We get a huge advantage with our Co-efficient that we won't play a tough team until the knockout stages and even then perhaps not until the QF or SF.

There is zero reason why we can't compete in both. The notion that it is one or the other is completely false.

I do think that this year especially is a year in which we are clearly behind the top 4 teams, and perhaps behind Wolves and/or Leicester as well, so our chances to finish top 4 are slim. If one of Chelsea or United were in a down cycle or not looking to strengthen I would agree top 4 is more likely but I don't see that being the case this year. Liverpool and City are so far ahead of us I think even if they have a disaster season they still finish above us.

I think this is a year, and supposedly a manager, that should see us taking it seriously like those Spanish teams.

i also don't think it is that difficult to take both the EL and EPL seriously. We get a huge advantage with our Co-efficient that we won't play a tough team until the knockout stages and even then perhaps not until the QF or SF.

There is zero reason why we can't compete in both. The notion that it is one or the other is completely false.

I do think that this year especially is a year in which we are clearly behind the top 4 teams, and perhaps behind Wolves and/or Leicester as well, so our chances to finish top 4 are slim. If one of Chelsea or United were in a down cycle or not looking to strengthen I would agree top 4 is more likely but I don't see that being the case this year. Liverpool and City are so far ahead of us I think even if they have a disaster season they still finish above us.
I totally agree that we have the manager and squad to take the Europa seriously and have a decent chance of winning it. I'd be delighted like most of us. And it's never one or the other, agree again. Winning breeds winning etc etc.

We'll finish comfortably above Wolves and Leicester in 2020/21 for sure. Regression to the norm always happens. Personally I'd bet a fair amount on us getting top 4 next season, but I doubt we'll get beyond the Europa quarters
After the Norwich FA Cup knockout I'm not even confident we make the Europa group stage!

We'll see!

I don't really get what you're saying we should do differently though. Play a severely weakened team in the league? That will be the opposite of what the manager is tasked to do. There are even penalties for playing weak sides in the league. Top 4 is a much more likely route to the CL than Europa anyway.

I'm with you on having a good shot at the League Cup though.

Unless we play kids and/or get knocked straight out of the cups, there is going to be some brutal fixture congestion.

Ultimately it will be a balancing act with a bit of rotation for most games, but there's no way the Europa and League Cup will see stronger XI than the league.

Not exactly a severely weakened team for the league but not our strongest available team either. We could probably put out a 2nd XI of full internationals if we wanted to.

We'll finish comfortably above Wolves and Leicester in 2020/21 for sure. Regression to the norm always happens. Personally I'd bet a fair amount on us getting top 4 next season, but I doubt we'll get beyond the Europa quarters
After the Norwich FA Cup knockout I'm not even confident we make the Europa group stage!

We'll see!

That would be one of the more shocking results in recent history if the case.

LC is the easiest trophy to win because its absolutely fucking rubbish. Seriously, the stupidest competition in global football. The idea of prioritizing the fucking LC which provides fuck all over the Europa League which actually pays money and provides a CL spot is just absurd.

:mourshock:
We wouldn't have to prioritise the League Cup over Europa for the majority of the season. The qualifying rounds of the EL will probably be against extremely weak teams. And by the time EL group stages start, there won't be any LC matches. Again when the LC resumes with quarter-finals and semi-finals, the EL group stages will have ended. The only matches which will create an issue will be the LC final and 2nd leg of the RO32 of EL. We could realistically win both of these competitions if we sacrifice roughly 8-10 points in the league.

So when we win the league and the EL does that mean that 5th place gets to go to the CL? Hope Leicester don’t finish 5th again as would feel a bit shit our victories getting them to the CL! :avbnaa:

We wouldn't have to prioritise the League Cup over Europa for the majority of the season. The qualifying rounds of the EL will probably be against extremely weak teams. And by the time EL group stages start, there won't be any LC matches. Again when the LC resumes with quarter-finals and semi-finals, the EL group stages will have ended. The only matches which will create an issue will be the LC final and 2nd leg of the RO32 of EL. We could realistically win both of these competitions if we sacrifice roughly 8-10 points in the league.
Or more likely, come up against Seville and Man City in the finals, win nothing and finish 9th.

That's fair enough, but there's no way I'd be ok with sacrificing 8-10 league points to win the LC and EL if we're anywhere close in the league come spring time. If we're well off top and relatively comfortable in the top 4 and in a LC semi - sure, go win it. Otherwise league (and literally everything else) absolutely always takes priority over the LC.

You can justify EL over a league match here or there if we're well off the top and there's a good chance we'll miss the top 4 (or we're pretty secure in top 4). It's worth a CL spot, its a quality trophy, and its worth way more money than a league position.

We need to prioritize the league first and EL group stage 2nd, then see where everything stands come January.

Inter Milan vs Sevilla will be a very good game. Two strong teams, both with real tradition in Europe. It's a final to add value to the Europa League as a competition.

From our point of view, United's defeat was good news. Last season's final was a London derby, yes, but English clubs won't necessarily dominate it. It's not an easy competition, and beautiful European teams will always want to win it.

I'm really looking forward to see Tottenham fighting for this title next season.

Last edited:
What makes everyone think we are going to win any of these cups or get close and also the confidence of prioritising competitions. We don’t have much recent history of any consistency of being regular finalist or winners. Let’s take the season as it comes and see what happens. Our problems tend to be from over confidence and a little arrogance that we”re too good for this or that. Further I’m not so I have as much faith as some in our serial winner manager delivering anything considering he couldn’t even get the team to beat Norwich at home and get completely outplayed in both legs of the CL by team full of no big stars but who play with heart, pace and no small amount of technical ability. Fingers crossed we play better than the turgid shite we had for last 9 games and actually go out to beat teams.

What makes everyone think we are going to win any of these cups or get close and also the confidence of prioritising competitions. We don’t have much recent history of any consistency of being regular finalist or winners. Let’s take the season as it comes and see what happens. Our problems tend to be from over confidence and a little arrogance that we”re too good for this or that. Further I’m not so I have as much faith as some in our serial winner manager delivering anything considering he couldn’t even get the team to beat Norwich at home and get completely outplayed in both legs of the CL by team full of no big stars but who play with heart, pace and no small amount of technical ability. Fingers crossed we play better than the turgid shite we had for last 9 games and actually go out to beat teams.
The new Maurinho

2 games in first round of EL could not take place tonight due to covid - so I imagine they will need 10 days or 2 weeks before playing the game. All the other games have been played, so all other results known as to who goes into the next round with us

Draw was due to be on 31 August - but provided all games have been played.

I guess we wait until UEFA decide when draw will be - games due to be played in 3 weeks time so it could get tight for clubs to arrange flights to the various destinations in the draw is delayed for 2 weeks to allow the covid affected games to take place, let alone doing any homework on their opponents.

Current list of potential opponents

• FK Kukësi
  • Servette FC
  • Aris FC
  • OFI Crete
  • FK Ventspils
  • Lincoln Red Imps
  • Olimpija
  • FK TSC Bačka Topola
  • NK Osijek
  • IFK Göteburg
  • Hammarby IF
  • Viking FK
  • FK Bodø/Glimt
  • FC Progrès
  • FK Riteriai
  • CSKA Sofia
  • Honvéd FC
  • FC Kaisar
  • Neftçi PFK
  • Shamrock Rovers
  • B36 Tórshavn
  • Lokomotiv Plovdiv
  • FC Botoșani
  • Piast Gliwice
  • Hibernians
  • FC DAC 1904 Dunajská Streda
  • KF Laçi
  • KF Renova
  • KF Teuta Durrës
  • FK Borac Banja Luka
  • FC Sfântul Gheorghe Suruceni
  • Coleraine FC
  • Bala Town FC
  • FC Locomotive Tbilisi

Current list of potential opponents

• FK Kukësi
  • Servette FC
  • Aris FC
  • OFI Crete
  • FK Ventspils
  • Lincoln Red Imps
  • Olimpija
  • FK TSC Bačka Topola
  • NK Osijek
  • IFK Göteburg
  • Hammarby IF
  • Viking FK
  • FK Bodø/Glimt
  • FC Progrès
  • FK Riteriai
  • CSKA Sofia
  • Honvéd FC
  • FC Kaisar
  • Neftçi PFK
  • Shamrock Rovers
  • B36 Tórshavn
  • Lokomotiv Plovdiv
  • FC Botoșani
  • Piast Gliwice
  • Hibernians
  • FC DAC 1904 Dunajská Streda
  • KF Laçi
  • KF Renova
  • KF Teuta Durrës
  • FK Borac Banja Luka
  • FC Sfântul Gheorghe Suruceni
  • Coleraine FC
  • Bala Town FC
  • FC Locomotive Tbilisi
the excitement man. Bala town or locomotive train fc.

Back
Top Bottom